Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrow Hunting

Default Barrow Hunting

Hi,

It looks like we might be moving to Barrow about this time next year. What is the hunting like there. Is it a pretty good possibility to have chance a caribou or moose? What do most people use for hunting transportation?

DO

Unhappy Barrow?? I pity the Fool!

Have you been to Barrow? You donít hunt up there, you survive! Caribou hunting is done up there in July and early Aug. The herd travels over the mountains to our side for the winter and it is cold and nasty up here, but Barrow? I donít know about moose but I will guess it is slim to none. Its almost 100 miles before you get to anything that looks like a hill let alone a mountain. Man I hope they are paying you a bunch! And people say I am nuts to call the out post of Kotzebue home! I can live almost anywhere but up there. Turned down a job in Wainright 9 years ago, cant even imagine it!

I am sure that you will be very happy up there. Most people hunt out of boats up there, as land travel is tough at best.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Barrow

My wife is a nurse and I am a pharmacy tech. Basically, with the student loan repayment and the good wages we could pay off most of our bills in two years. I am looking forward to getting a caribou or two while we're up there. I have calved out enough cows in wyoming that I'm not too worried about the weather. Just wondering about the hunting, best mode of transportation etc.

Thumbs up Barrow

Walt, I have always backed you up on your thoughts about your area; but you sure aren't the Chamber of Commerce for Barrow. Muley, you will probably love it up here. Caribou hunting is much more than the 2 months mentioned by Walt. The only time we don't hunt is during calving. The herd here does not all migrate away and moves around the huge area up here. Just don't shoot a bull during rut; taste and smell will kill you! Daily limit is 5 for a resident. If you have a 4 wheeler or snow machine you can get to the game almost year around. The people up here are very friendly and there are things to see you will never see again. Polar bears close up, spring and fall whaling, seal hunting, a big ole walrus laying on the beach, and numbers of ducks and geese you couldn't begin to count. There isn't anything to do as far as "night life", but it is an awesome feeling to stand on your deck and watch the Northern Lights dancing over your head. If you want any specific info PM me anytime.

Dave

Default Barrow

It sounds really interesting. I am excited. I like some adventure once in a while. My wife is in grad school so it'll be a while before we can go.

I have grown up mostly hunting antelope, some deer and I got my first elk this year. I have heard that caribou are really good eating. Are there places to rent 4 wheelers etc.?

Default Hunting Club

In the activities listed on the hospital web site there was a hunting club do you know anything about it BarrowDave?

Default Caribou

I don't think the club exists anymore. There isn't a commercial rental but you can probably find an individual to rent from, and there is usually a good deal on buying a used one. Caribou is great eating!! I grew up hunting and eating whitetails and it doesn't even begin to compare with caribou. I could eat it every day and not get tired of it.

wy- well i work 100+ miles east of barrow but as comparison WY does not have any wind compared to arctic
    you won't see sunrise for over 60 days but it makes up for it in summer when sun does not set for over 60 days . there is a reason so many birds nest in the arctic.....mosquitoes and whitesocks to feed there young.
    arctic is unique and if you have a good attitude you will have great time. it will be as good or as bad as you want it to be.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Barrow

It would be cool to get in touch with ya when we get up there. It always helps to find a local to get tips from.

Thumbs up Barrowdave:

Fair enough. I should not knock another guys home. I have been to Barrow a few times with our wrestling team (coach) and I have been to Point Hope a bunch. I respect your decision to live on top of the world even if I choose not to. Some times my fingers get in front of my common sense!

Donít forget Wyoming guy there are lots of HIS hospitals and Kotz has one of the biggest and I know the head of HR and the head of medicine personally. If youíre interested in Maniilaq let me know and I will forward you on the proper people. We are always looking for the good med folks to join us and Maniilaq also has a loan forgiveness program!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Talking OK Walt!

Now you are trying to steal our future residents! LOL Just don't know about you "western" guys. I work with one of our wrestling coaches, guess they just took 8 down to state at Sitka. Hope you are doing well with your program. Enjoyed the banter, have a nice evening.

Dave

Default Only 8 to state?

Hell we sent the whole **** team! We won our 7th stright Region 1 North title, man I wish Barrow would get tough again!!! Only kidding.

Yes I will steal form you but you will never feel my hand in your pocket!
    Last edited by Gulkana Rafting; 12-13-2007 at 20:22. Reason: spelling error

Default Barrow..

WyMuley, the wife is up there every other month and sometimes monthly as a health care worker.
    She's travelled there more times than I can remember and she's often said that it's a pretty depressing place.
    Just getting off the plane with no trees anywhere with the wind howling and with a below zero windchill in early June can be pretty hard to take.
    84 days of straight sunlight and 65 of no sun me thinks(?)

That said, if a family could pay off some major bills while staying there for a couple of years it's seems worth the hardship.
    My wife's native friends there extended a walrus hunt invite to me but unfortunately I couldn't make it with my teaching schedule. As Barrow Dave indicated, there are opportunities to hunt there.
    If you'd like to talk with her directly about the health care particulars up there and the area in general send me a private message and I'll get you our number to talk...
    All the best!
    Frank

Default Barrow

It can be plenty depressing here. It's like the little Sahara now. Blowing dirt isn't exactly uplifting. Incidentally, the wind hit 105mpghin Casper last month. We used to have winter here, but since this drought hit we have pretty much forgot what rain and snow are. My dad has reduced his cattle by a 100 head since the drought hit.

Anyway, we are looking at Barrow, but my wife says Kotzebue would be interesting too. Any contacts would be wonderful. We do have friend that goes there a lot.

We are mainly trying to look for something fun and different for a while. Paying off bills is nice too and a hunting a few animals that are different would be wonderful.

Default Barrow

We are thinking we will do the north country for a couple years and then maybe somewhere around Sitka. Stay there for a year or so and then move back here.

Dave

Default wrestling ????

I thought all they did in Barrow was play Basketball..

Well now they play football too!
    Tim

Default Interesting Post

I will be visting Barrow,Kotz, next year as I will be upgrading the cable system. I am in Nome now and there ain't much to do this time of year.
    I now have resident status and will be looking into the hunting oppotunities for next year. Still don't have the dates I will be in town or have any idea of the regs.
    The question I do have for anyone is it feasable to hunt out of town? Not so interested in Barrow but was wondering about Kotzebue. Can a guy just stay in town and head out on an ATV and hunt?
    The 2 times I was in Kotz was to run out of the plane at night to have a smoke on the way to Nome.

Default It's not as bad as some might say!!!

I lived there for over 2 years myself, and I have to agree with Barrowdave. I hunted caribou at least 6 to 8 months a year. There are some arctic fox that are nice to go after. I had a blast duck hunting. You have to wait a year to become a resident, but it's worth it. I flew out and did some hunting in other locations for moose and bear. Having a snowmachine and 4wheeler is all I needed. I didn't even take a car or truck up with me. I used the 4wheeler to go everywhere (grocery store, post office).

It is a very remote location; groceries are very expensive and flying in or out will set you back a bunch. If I remember right the hospital provides housing, and that is an awesome benefit.

I only planned on being there a year but it wasn't so bad, and I stayed a little over 2. I am originally from Idaho/Montana area and thought I would never leave, but I live in Kodiak now, and I will probably stay in Alaska the rest of my life.

If you need any info on Barrow let me know, I am sure there are enough people on here that can fill you in.

Quote Originally Posted by wymuley View Post
    We are thinking we will do the north country for a couple years and then maybe somewhere around Sitka. Stay there for a year or so and then move back here.

Dave
    Sure you'll move back.... then you will be depressed and get back into debt to finance your return to alaska. If you hunt and fish there is no other place to live. Good luck!

Thumbs up Barrow

Well, truthfully, my wife and I were talking that we'll probably get up there and not want to move back. Yeah, had that conversation. If I wasn't tied to the family ranch as closely I would say that you're definately right.

Now, we are about 30 miles from town. Not near as remote, but can relate somewhat. Can't drive to a gas station for a pop anyway.

Anyhow, a .270 should work fine for caribou shouldn't it? It worked on my elk. I hope to get a .300 win mag before we go just in case we get to chase a moose somewhere. I'd like to get a couple different animals than I would normally have a chance at. Any advice on hunts that are fun and economical would be great.

Thanks for everybody's chat. Very interesting.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast