Thread: Caribou?

Hubert NC

Default Caribou?

Need some help and some idea. We just got our first bou and looking for a favorite or best recipes. The wife has been experimenting but looking for suggestions from some experts. Thanks

Southwest Alaska

Freeze rack of caribou ribs.
    After frozen cut ribs in 2" to 3" lengths.
    Usually I cross cut them along the full length, then seperate them individually.
    Wash meat thoroughly.
    Pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes till meat almost falls off of the bone
    Prepare barbeuce sauce ( ya can be as creative with it as ya want) here is my family's favorite.
    1 bottle of Barbecue sauce (your favorite)
    1/3 to 1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 to 1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
    1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
    1/3 to 1/2 cup of dried onion (hydrated)
    Mix together
    After ribs are done pressure cooking I place them in a baking pan then coat them completely with the barbecue sauce mixture.
    Bake @ 325 for about 40 minutes. My family really enjoys them especially during family feasts and holidays.

Eagle River, AK

Cut meat into 2-4" strips, about 3/4" thick.

First bowl - Flour and desired spices (cajun and garlic are my preferences)
    Second bowl - 1-2 eggs and a few splashes of milk
    Third bowl - Bread crumbs and spices (more cajun and garlic, or whatever else is handy that day) My wife also adds psyllium husks and flax seed for the health effects, but that's not necessary.

Coat the pieces of meat in each of the mixtures - first the flour, then the egg/milk mixture, then with the bread crumbs. Fry in olive oil at ~350 degrees for a few minutes. Enjoy.

The above is our most common use of caribou, but I've gotten into quite the habit of making stir-fry recently. Cut the caribou into thin (1/4") pieces. Mince 2-3 heads of garlic and add to a little bit of olive oil in a wok or other frying pan. Fry the garlic for 30 seconds (which will give off the most heavenly scent you have ever smelled), then add the meat. Sear the meat for a minute or so, but don't cook completely. Then add vegetables - I use red, orange, and yellow peppers (usually sweet peppers, but sometimes bell), onions, broccoli, carrots, squash, and bean sprouts (added at the very end). While it frys, add a splash of rice wine vinegar, a few splashes of soy sauce, and if you like it spicy add copious amounts of rooster sauce (red pepper paste).

Man...I'm getting hungry!

Grind up some caribou meat with just a touch of beef fat, smash down and form it into a patty. Put on hot grill and cook until done to your likeness, put it on 2 buns with lettuce, tomato, some mustard and ketchup and enjoy!