Thread: cape yakataga

Default cape yakataga

has anyone hunted Cape Yakataga for moose? We are thinking about it and would like any info.

THeres at least one commercial guiding outfitter running out there. They are locating alot of the best bulls from the air. I spent a season out there between bering river and cape yak west of the duktoth/kaliahk. There are some monsters out there but access is not great and packing moose thru knee deep marsh bogs leaves alot to be desired. How were you planning to access the area?

probably with alsek air out of yakutat.

Default Never hunted

I never hunted in the area but done a lot of helo work and dk is right. Access could be the tough part. Wet, wet, wet. Be ready for fog most of the time. But there are some big ones in there. Be ready for bears too, they are thick.

Thanks byrdhntr, i forgot to mention the bears. Biggest bears I ever seen in that area. (never been to Kodiak tho.) Spotted an honest to god 10 footer along the bering river one day. I swear my knees are still shaking 10 years later...
    If you can find a nice bull and a spot to land within a few miles, thats probably the best way. Or an airboat (I cant believe I said that, I hate those things)

There's 2 cabins a little further east of there, each one on a lake that has access trails leading to and from them. I have a friend that does a lot of work out that way and he told me he saw some real monsters out that way but it never gets hunted, must be a reason for that.

Default Yakataga

WEATHER...you should try to track down the two coasties that swamped their raft and had to be air rescued out of a river to the West of Yakataga last fall..nonstop rain and wind...BUT when the weather is good..it might be hard to beat..

Default hi ak45

east? you wouldnt happen to be refering to the 2 ak state parks cabins up at vitus lake et al?

Default Extreme Weather

I hunted goats down there once, in September. The weather is EXTREME. REALLY. You'll be doubling up raingear.

We were unsuccessful because of the weather, mainly.

Taylor

Spent August out there working. Saw the largest moose tracks in 25 years of stomping around the state. I had seriously thought that someone had lost a cow out there. Never saw a moose in 30 days of being on the roads, beaches, and woods. But then I was not hunting and looking for them. The tracks of one cow and her calf were seen weekly on the river bars, but never saw the animals.

The local guide at the Cape is a bear guide and not after moose. Byler sets up a boat for bear in Icy Bay. DNR has issues with him and their logging roads.

The logging camp at Icy Bay will be going away next year and all the bridges with them. The few local miners will be building a couple of them back up, but the big bridge over the White river will be gone for good by next fall.

We saw black bears every day, and browns every couple of days along the road system or at the runway. There are some big wolves there as well, and the only thing they have to eat are moose or dead things on the beaches.

Currently the biggest danger to the moose are the loggers - they really hit them hard in the 1990's when they started their operations in Icy Bay. Fish in a barrel was a term used often when they talked of moose shooting. The best habitat for moose is near Icy Bay or west of the Duktoth. You will have to cross rivers to get to either area.