Thread: kodiak caribou

Default kodiak caribou

looking for info on where they are generally and if any has ever hunted them thanks

If I remember correctly, when I went out with Andrews Air, they said the caribou were located primarily on the southwest portion of the island (not that they don't wander around) and that most people who took one did so incidentally while hunting for deer. They mentioned something about the caribou generally hanging around in boggy-lowland type of terrain. I'm sure some of the guys that live/guide there can give you more specific info, but for what it's worth, that's what AA told me...

Default Kodiak

I heard they were actually reindeer, and were pretty pathetic antler wise. I have no idea if that is true - just what I heard.

Thumbs down Kodiak Reindeer

Yes they are transplants and those who hunt them should know. You owe your hunt to the people of Akhiok. Emagine that. They were brought in durring the 20`s to establish an economic base for the village. They were learning to manage them quite well when a large fire burned all the local habitat and ran the animals to the north where they have thrived quite well reaching a population of nearly 1000 in the 60`s. In the 80`s the villagers were pressured by the State and Feds to relinquish their ownership. State and Feds now want them exterminated. Go figure.

I heard they were actually reindeer, and were pretty pathetic antler wise. I have no idea if that is true - just what I heard.
    I would say untrue...the reason that we started talking about it with AA is because someone had shot a big bull and the rack was in the hanger. Looked pretty big to all of us...

Default Balony.

Sorry but much of this is untrue.
    When we hunted deer on the south side of the island we saw some gorgeous bulls and some were very close indeed. 50-60 yards.

Our transporter told us to watch for them but that we needed to have a special registration tag. He was wrong. We only needed our harvest tags which we had. There is no bag limit on the bou there to my knowledge.
    The "reindeer" term is a misnomer. They are not domesticated and they look and act just like normal caribou with very nice racks and big bodies--because they are real caribou.

It is well documented that the Reindeer from Akhiok escaped and spread out. I don't know if anyone can show that caribou were ever transplanted to Kodiak. A reindeer is simply a subspecies of the genus Rangifer and the species tarandus. I've seen domestic reindeer with huge racks.

Default Google Kodiak Reindeer

Look back in behind Halibut Bay Lot a guys fly into Anvil Lake for the hunt

I have seen some pretty big racks. Used to be a lot of mixed colors have`nt seen em for years Counted 700 on the hill side in Bumble Bay in 1967

Default Reindeer

Cant find anything on Caribou on Kodiak. Lots of info on Reindeer on kodiak though. I guess they are in fact Reindeer, and from what Im reading here they can grow decent racks. I flew out on a deer hunt, and my pilot told me they dont compare at all to mainland caribou but hey with the right habitat, and feed any antlerd animal is going to start growing a good set eventually. That would be a cool combo hunt Reindeer/Blacktail.

Default I have been kinda thinking of doing

a swoop and shoot on them. Just like we have done on the malchatna heard. I have wondered why nobody talks about it. No closed season and no limit I believe. But technically there is a limit, what the plane can hold or how many trips you wanna pay for. Sounds like a good meat hunt if nothing else. I have never been to kodiak. Seems like taking the ferry or using air miles to get there and have a air service booked and go slay some. Or might just hit the malchatna heard if nothing else. Just pondering options and if I want to spend the money at the moment.

if you've never been to kodiak, i wouldn't up and plan a "quick meat hunt", plane a week long adventure at least, kodiak seldom lends it self to quick and easy or fast and painless. theres a reason all those caribou aren't dead already and its not cause they walk on the beach or shores of the lakes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

They tend to range between the Sturgeon and Ayakulik Rivers. I've seen them twice and they are good looking animals. My partner missed a close shot at a big bull last month on our deer hunt. I know of one group of hunters that killed seven of them this year. They seemed to be hanging around some of the access points on the southwest side of the island this year.