Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss vs. Leupold

Default Zeiss vs. Leupold

I will be buying a new scope before the up coming season and have narrowed it down to 2. Either a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X50 or a Leupold Vari X II 3X9X50. I know there are a lot of other great scopes out there but I really have settled on one of these. Is there any one out there who has any personal experience in comparing these two?

Lightbulb Zeiss...

I did a lot of comparisons and came down to the Zeiss and Leupold for my final choices also based on price. When side by side the Zeiss is hands down brighter and clearer than the Leupold. I have the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my .300 WSM Browing A-Bolt. I have used it on a couple hunts including a Caribou hunt in August and it has performed flawlessly. I paid $400 for the scope and would pay more having now used it in the field. I have used Leupold scopes in the past and have always liked them, it was just the same tragic story that happened when I looked through a pair of Swarovski Binos after using Leupolds for years. Needless to say, I have a pair of Swarovski SLC's now. Go into Sportsmans and just try them side by side. It's not the field, but even in there you can see the difference. Hope this helps...If I were still up there I would let you check out mine. I recently move to Arizona...there is a Bull Elk out there that is waiting for me to gaze at through my Zeiss scope...

AZinAK or is it AKinAZ....

Default comparison

If it were the VX-III or higher in the Leupold series than it would be a little bit harder to decide. Based on the choices you are presenting choose the Zeiss. You may want to consider the Nikon Monarch UCC or Burris II in the field as well in this range as these may beat the VX-II in that range of quality.

Thumbs up Get the Zeiss

I have the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 ($300 through Cabela's - On Sale). I love it and for the $$ it canít beat it. I also have (2) Leopoldís VXII and VXIII and they are great especially the VXIII, but Zeiss is on another level.

Thumbs up Zeiss

This is not even a fair question! Zeiss is far superior! I have a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x40 that just knock me out on the clarity and ability to use late light. Maybe you should compare Zeiss and Leica!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Thumbs up Zeiss

This is not even a fair question! Zeiss is far superior! I have a pair of Zeiss Classic 10x40 that just knock me out on the clarity and ability to use late light. Maybe you should compare Zeiss and Leica!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Late evening & early light advantage

I have used both scopes, still have both scopes, and have compared both scopes side by side on a late evening moose hunt. I loaned my Remington Model 7 with the Leupold to a friend, while I used the Zeiss on the Remington 700. When light faded, I could clearly see the moose through the Zeiss, while my friend could not. I switched rifles and could not find a definite target area on the moose...my friend shot the moose using the Zeiss. We passed the Zeiss back and forth to see how much longer we could still shoot and were impressed with the added minutes. The Leupold is still a fine scope.

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone. I thought I would pass this on to any of those curious about buying optics in the future. I will definately buy the Zeiss after reading everones thoughts. Thanks again....
    http://www.bearbasin.com/

Default Leupolds

I just compared my VX-II and VX-III out the window and down the darkness of the hallway and I was shocked! There was not a comparible amount of difference to my eye. I don't want to rob the thread here but does anyone else have anything to contribute on the II vs III in brightness. I may be looking to find some Zeiss in the future. The leupolds are still great scopes.

Default Vari X II vs Vari XIII

This one I can tell you about, I own both. One is a Vari XII in a 3X9X50 and the other is a Vari XIII in a 3.5X10X50 and I can tell you, I cant see a difference at all. That is why I was asking about the Zeiss and Leupold VariX II. I cannot see paying the extra for the Vari XIII

Default Interesting!

I guess were all duped to think the III's are better off. I wonder if the Monarch UCC or Burris II are as bright as the Zeiss and offer better views at darkess or early morning. If so, maybe the bargain hunters should consider these as well.

Here is how i decided on my new ziess. Go to SW and compair the scopes you are looking at side by side and in every situation the ziess beet the comparable vx III hands down. I even went outside with the worker and compaired them in the dark. my last scope was a VX-L 4.5 x 14 x 56 LR and now i have a zeiss 3.5x10x44 and that vx-L is a way more expensive paper weight now that i own a zeiss.

I own both and the Zeiss is definitely the better optic. Better than any Leupold in my opinion!

Default my history

Back in 1980 I compared Zeiss scopes to my Leupy vx2. They gathered more light allowing both earlier and later safe shots on animals. So I became a Zeiss dealer and we bought a good friend a new Zeiss scope. It has worked well.
    I helped friends buy Zeiss binoculars also. For the relatively small group, we have seen a failure rate of roughly 50%. One pair has been back to Zeiss 3 times. That is way too high for what is puportedly to be quality optics. The glass without a doubt is excellent, but I hesitate to say that the binoculars, including 10x25, 10x40, and 8x56 are durable, long life, quality built optics.
    My own 10x25 had several issues. One objective loosened up relatively early, but I used them so much I hated to send them off. Then the other side fogged up. I sent them back to Zeiss, and asked that they also replace the glass as I had scratched them pretty good.
    Zeiss offered me a pair of 10x30 Diafuns as loaners until repairs could be completed. After several months, they offered to trade me straight across as they could no longer get the glass for my minis.
    Service is important to me, and that experience gave me more respect for the Zeiss name.

Default 4x32

Based on the information and disscussions here I decided to give the Zeiss Conquest in a fixed 4 x 32 power a try. I hope to put it on my .308 but will give some more thought as I have a need to mount a scope on a .338WM as well. I read that Burris has a Safari line and Weaver has a Grand Slam line and I think that the Zeiss is a head above these as well but still sound interesting.

When I was shopping for a scope for my Kimber Montana a couple years ago I really liked the view through the Zeiss 3-9x40 conquest I believe it was. Problem was the size of the scope. It seemed very bulky and the ring to adjust the power was very large. The Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 was much more streamlined and a much better fit for the rifle so that's what I ended up buying. The VXIII 4.5-10x40 was not as bulky either, but, the 36 just seemed to fit the gun just right.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Zeiss definitely makes higher quality optics than most at the low-mid price ranges.... I've owned and shot both, and would use the Conquest over the Leupold VX scopes. It really depends on the application however.... I will take my Mark 4 over the Conquest any day; since they are within $150 of each other, so I would consider them to be in the same price range. That's for 1000 yard shooting.... To get that same level of magnification and performance from Zeiss you must step into the $4k range.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    When I was shopping for a scope for my Kimber Montana a couple years ago I really liked the view through the Zeiss 3-9x40 conquest I believe it was. Problem was the size of the scope. It seemed very bulky and the ring to adjust the power was very large. The Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 was much more streamlined and a much better fit for the rifle so that's what I ended up buying. The VXIII 4.5-10x40 was not as bulky either, but, the 36 just seemed to fit the gun just right.

Perry nailed it on the head here. I have owned a Conquest 3-9x40 and own several VX-III's and VX-II's . The Zeiss glass is no doubt brighter and clearer but I cannot live with the bulk of the scope. I like my scopes mounted as low as possible and with the Zeiss its just a big pain in the azz. If the scope is too low you have very little room even for bolt lift. Not to mention how big they are. If I were hunting out of an elevated blind in Texas where all I care about is seeing that last buck come to the feeder (grin) right at last shooting light then yes the Zeiss would be my choice. But for my needs the huge eye box of the Leupies combined with their sleakness and lightweight characteistics wins hands down. I have always said thta a Leupy with Zeiss glass would be the bomb. Zeiss came out with the 2.5-8x32 last year and I thought just maybe it would be more compact and lighter and as it turns out its even heavier than the 3-9x40, dont understand their reasoning.

Default Comparison

I started this thread in December when I was going to buy a new scope. Well, I ended up buying a Zeiss 3-9X50. So, last night I took my Zeiss and held it next to my Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10X50, set them both on 6X and looked through them. I looked at them right at dark and W/out question the Zeiss is much brighter and sharper. I experienced this before when I went to the Leupold from a Pentax lightseeker and the Leupold was much brighter.

If anyone is thinking of buying a scope and is in the Eagle River area and would like to look through my Leupolds and Zeiss, let me know.

I did the same thing when i bought my zeiss but i did it at the store and I spent over a hour with two scopes in hand trying every thing i could try even going outside with them and there was no instance when the zeiss did not imediatly shine over the VX and for the price difference I decided that in my opinion leupold scopes are nothing more than a overpriced name. My new zeiss 3.5x10x44 with gather just as much light and sharper than my old heavy VX-L 4.5x14x56 lr when compairing scopes side by side even in light I thought the vx made it seem like you were wearing sunglasses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast