Thread: Shooting Instruction?

Anchorage, Alaska, United States, 106199619411091, Anchorage, Alaska

Question Shooting Instruction?

Does anyone know where one could go in Anchorage to learn how to shoot a shotgun? I'd like to start bird hunting, but haven't touched a firearm since .22 rifles at summer camp, over 20 years ago. I found a place in Wasilla that offers shooting lessons, but wondering if there's anywhere closer. Thanks!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Off hand, I dont know of anyone that offers shooting instruction, but after the first of the year (I think both ranges are closed thru December) you could give a call to the Bird Creek range and also the range at North Birchwood and see what they have to say. I think both of these also have web-sites that you could check out for more info. In the mean while, you could surf the net and refresh your memory on basic shooting and hunting safety (a good thing for everyone to do from time to time) and also look for articles on shotgunning. I am sure you will be able to find a wealth of info.

And if you have never shot a shot-gun before, just remember, the long tube with the hole in the end.......... thats the dangerous end, it points AWAY from you Sorry man, I just couldnt resist.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thumbs up Birchwood

Give Birchwood a call, great range, tons of fun people to hangout with, and they are just starting the winter leagues in jan and there are some beginner ones as well. If you want 1 on 1 instruction they will have a few numbers for ya too!! I highly recommend this range, and they are open yr round with fire pits going on the weekends to warm your hands, plus a nice big warm clubhouse!! My wife likes the place ALOT, and shes not a big shooter. I had her out there at -5F last yr!!!
    Birchwood range shotgun---688-2809
    rifle-------688-3967
    Realize they have some wierd hours during the week, but sat sun they are open 10am-6pm
    tues wd thur open 3pm-10pm

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    Give Birchwood a call, great range, tons of fun people to hangout with, and they are just starting the winter leagues in jan and there are some beginner ones as well. If you want 1 on 1 instruction they will have a few numbers for ya too!! I highly recommend this range, and they are open yr round with fire pits going on the weekends to warm your hands, plus a nice big warm clubhouse!! My wife likes the place ALOT, and shes not a big shooter. I had her out there at -5F last yr!!!
    Birchwood range shotgun---688-2809
    rifle-------688-3967
    Realize they have some wierd hours during the week, but sat sun they are open 10am-6pm
    tues wd thur open 3pm-10pm

Is birchwood really closed during Dec. or is it just RC??

Thanks,

Jon

Check with the Hunter Education coordinator at ADF&G. The number is on the F&G website . He may know of NRA certified instructors in the area.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default I offer one on one instruction in pistol, rifle and shotgun

I am a certified NRA instructor in Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun if you are still looking for help. Also, most of the folks who run the bird houses at Rabbit Creek are happy to offer coaching when you are shooting birds on that range (that is where I would take you to practice as well as I am also an NRA Certified RSO at Rabbit Creek...)

Let me know if you would like to go shooting sometime.

Levi Nilsson - 947-0966