Thread: Floating the Chitna for moose?

Default Floating the Chitna for moose?

I'm probably going to book a drop off sheep hunt in the Wrangells. Would it be worth the extra vacation time to try a combo hunt floating the Chitna River to Chitna in an attempt to bag a moose on the way back?

I'll most likely be going in mid August.

Mark

Read this.

Default Try here too

They are way up the Chitna and know the Moose Population of the upper Chitna quite well.

http://www.ultimathulelodge.com/

Mark: I stumbled on that article previously. From what I can discern from it, the scientists thought the upper Chitna valleywas good moose habitat. Thanks.

Byrd_hntr: Is that lodge at the base of MacColl Ridge? I couldn't find an email on their web page, so I entered a reservation information link and posted a message. I'm not sure it worked though. I'll wait and see.

Thanks for the replies.

Ultima Thule Lodge is very nice and very expensive. They treat you extremely well, but if you use them, be prepared to pay dearly for the experience. The owners have a Turbo Otter and Supercub between them, and will take you out every day if you want, but they are not cheap planes to operate.

I floated from McCarthy to Chitna last year. Great trip, but we didn't see much moose sign. Plenty of bear, and wolf though. In the early to mid summer, the bears tend to congregate around the mouths of several of the salmon stream tributaries. They're probably hunting moose calves the rest of the time.

Yeah Ultima Thule Lodge is waaaaay too expensive for my budget. I'm sure it's nice though.

One thing I just realized is that if I get a sheep, I'm going to want to get it out and processed ASAP... A second week of moose hunting might spoil the sheep meat.

Maybe I'd better just hunt one type of critter at a time.

Default UT

Yeah they are expensive, especially if you are staying in the lodge. They will work with you on a budget though, especially if your hunting on your own, (Like rafting). If you did get a sheep and needed it flow out immediately so you could keep hunting they could be very valuable.

I can scratch up some numbers for you if you want.

Oh by they way they also have a 185 if anyone is wondering.

For sheep they run a very professional guide service with very good success.

byrd hnter, what is their success rate the last four or five years? Do you have any numbers?

Default succsess

mtnman

I don't have any exact numbers but when I was working in the area this fall there were a group of 6 hunters there and 5 had been successful. Some nice rams too.

How much time should I devote to this hunt, if I'm just hunting sheep? Is 10 days enough?

What ridges should I consider using as a "base of operations"?

My plan is to climb up with a full trips worth of freeze dried food and good lightweight alpine gear, then camp the entire duration at or near hunting altitude. I want to find an area with lots of terrain accessable by one, or maybe two base camps.

Of course, I plan on training for this and getting into great shape, but the thing is, from what I know of the area (admttedly not much), there aren't any trails (?), so what I DON'T want is to randomly pick a path through 3000' of alders, then 3000' of steep bluffs only to end up at a dead end.

Any help would be awesome. If you've got ideas or firsthand experience, please PM me.