Thread: Petersburg hunting.

Default Petersburg hunting.

Due to my job I can relocate to a few different towns. I love to explore by taking my skiff out and hiking from there. I currently am thinking of leaving sitka to get more diverse hunting oppurtunities. However, I love the protected waters i get and do not want to be limited elsewhere.

I have a 16 foot duroboat and was wondering how suitible that would be for the petersburg area. I would even like to take an occasional trip to POW. I love winter deer hunting but dont want to be overly limited.

The boat would work fine around Petersburg, but the weather can kick up and I don't think I would want to be in Sumner Straight or Frederick Sound in a 16 foot boat when it gets rough. My 18 foot Arima is not very comfortable when that happens and it is not an open boat. The northern end of POW is about 35 miles from Petersburg. The hunting around here is OK but not spectacular. We do have good black bear hunting and the duck and goose hunting on the Stikine Flats are world class. Deer hunting is another story. We only have a two week season with a one buck limit on Mitkof Island. The remainder of the unit has a two buck limit. Mountain goat hunting is pretty good on the mainland, but then again, your small boat won't get you there sometimes during the hunting season. Moose are available but it is a hard hunt as it is with the elk on Etolin and Zarembo Islands. Email me if you have any other questions. Jim

If you have the option, you will find easier access to the same hunting from Wrangell. With the Stikine River only a 20 minute boat ride in your 16-footer, you will be able to hunt moose, mtn. goat and brown bear. Wrangell also puts you closer to Elk hunting. There is no doe season unless you go to POW, but as far as hunting goes....I would put Wrangell as one of the better places in Southeast due to the different game you can hunt and the quality of the game. But, the fishing is nowhere near Sitka!

One of my buddies almost died in a 16 footer over thanksgiving, they took a wave in the narrows and swamped the boat, they were rescued after 30 minutes in the water... That being said a 16 foot jet is very helpful there from what I hear, you just gotta be careful
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

thanks for the info. I will really research hard before making any decisions. The info has been very helpful. I will look at wrangell as well. It seems to have slightly safer boating. At this time have no plans to buy a bigger boat.

Wrangell is filled with 16 foot open aluminum boats (and well situated as noted, though Petersburg does have better access to Kuiu and North to Admiralty etc...). You'd be in good company.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default 16 foot is fine

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    One of my buddies almost died in a 16 footer over thanksgiving, they took a wave in the narrows and swamped the boat, they were rescued after 30 minutes in the water... That being said a 16 foot jet is very helpful there from what I hear, you just gotta be careful

I grew up in P-town and 16' is fine. The situation with Lucas involved a shallow boat in the dark and a large boat wake. Weather wise you can hunt or fish any day of the year with a 16' skiff in Petersburg. With the Narrows and also some other remote launch sites around the island you can have great access. If the weather is too nasty to run to the mainland or POW you have 15 miles of the wrangell narrows that you can still play in. If you're used to running around Sitka with a 16' you'll like Petersburg.

Default good info

Jdb3 has laid out a lot of good information. Both P-town and Wrangell have some great opportunities, but when boating around these waters it still comes down to good judgement and "situational awareness" of both the current and forecasted water conditions. I have personally had several "religious" boat rides across the Stikine flats in a 16' Lund and thus I no longer use it for my duck hunts...the 19' Glasply is much less stressfull.

Coming from Sitka, you would probably be disappointed with our local deer hunting, however POW is now easily accessed via the Interisland Ferry Authority. On average the deer hunting is quite a bit better on the big island.