Thread: 50 Bmg

Default 50 Bmg

Does anyone here reload this round? I have a few questions....like,

1. Do I need another press (already have a rockchucker)?

2. Any stores locally sell the supplies (bullets, cases, powder, primers, dies etc...)?

3. Where do you go to shoot it?

Like I said, I already have a Rockchucker, so if I don't need another press, then I just have to buy the other accessories and supplies.

Thanks,
    H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Default new press

The Rockchucker, though an excellent press, isn't big enough for 50 BMG. You need the RCBS Ammomaster press that you can get with the special kit for loading 50 BMG. Very large strong press with excellent leverage. You'll need a good bench, too. Great Northern Guns has what you need at a good price, 25% off retail I believe.

I don't reload the BMG, but I understand that the RC has too small a throat for it. I've never seen one, but I think Lee has a complete loading outfit for it. About the same price as RCBS dies alone.
    As for supplies, it uses the same powders as any, just LOTS of it. Your best bet for bullets is to look on the internet. For plinking I would look for pulled military ball ammo. I would shy away from tracers and the others because of fire danger. There are commrecial bullets available, I Think Sportsman's Warehouse has these and primers. I know they have brass, but there is a lot of military brass floating around.
    You might ask around the local ranges if anyone there is reloading 50 BMG. They can help you more than anyone. Most shooters are glad to help.

www.ch4d.com (740) 397-7214

Call them and tell them you need their press. It is not listed because each is handmade.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    www.ch4d.com (740) 397-7214

Call them and tell them you need their press. It is not listed because each is handmade.
    Yeah, I ran across that site. I think I am gonna have to set my ".50 cal Holy Grail" aside right now. HouseHold 6 and I are looking at buying a house right now. I'll just keep saving pennies until I can get one after the house. Thanks for the input and info though.

H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

The Lee Classic Cast press will work. I have one, it's pretty heavy duty.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/classic.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Synd is correct. The Lee 50BMG press is a good one. You can sell the RC and it should pay for the Lee. The Lee will also reload everything else. Its inexpensive too, like 160 with everything you need (check Midway) except a swage for the primer pocket. Get that from ch4d. Thats like 50 bucks. As far as materials, SW has them but when they get them all the 50 shooters know this and clean them out of house and home. Other wise the internet is your best bet. As far as shooting south cushman for 300 yards. Other than that find a isolated spot and lob some lead. Shoot straight