Thread: kimber 84m varmint

Default kimber 84m varmint

Anyone shoot one? Own one? Thoughts?

What kind of loads did you use if they worked good?

Found one 99.9% new (less then 20 rounds through it) for a price I can't pass. Having some family go and shoot it as it's outside Ak.

Just trying to do some homework on it.

Thanks
    Dan

Dan,

I've owned a few Kimbers. Montana 84s and 8400s (in both WSM and long action configurations). I have also experienced some feeding issues with the 84s. Yes, sometimes they have issues as any factory rifle is subject to. My experience is that they are generally a very good value for the money and can be quite accurate. I had a Kimber Pro-Varmint in 22-250 it was a good rifle. I purchased this Kimber new as a carry rifle for coyote. I never adjusted the trigger, the pull weight out of the box was 3.5 pound clean and crisp. After extensive load development I found IMR4064 33grs with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR4895 34grs with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips with Federal Match Primers were my most accurate loads. This particular Kimber served well for two years and accounted for 7 coyotes and even a few (<.5 moa) shot groups off the bench. My round count was 950 when I traded if off for a new Remington 700 LVSF in the same caliber. Reason I moved the Kimber along was that the Remington was lighter and I like the synthetic LVSF stock, the Kimber Pro-Varmint is a laminated stock (with no checkering) and had a tendency to get slippery when wet. Your results may vary. Good luck in your decision. Timber.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
    "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
    Isaiah 6:8

My family picked up the 84m varmint for me today. Wont see it for a few weeks yet as it's in Mn.

Come lil coyote come....................

Excellent choice. Good luck with your Kimber. It should be a tack driver and a coyote death ray. What glass are you topping it with? Hope you enjoy your rifle and shoot it well and often.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

right now I have a nib leupold xii 6-18x40 I believe it is.....Might upgrade to an xIII

Default Dedicated Coyote Rifle

I ran two different Leupies on my Kimber PV. Both VX IIIs - 4.5-14x40mm Long Range w/varmint hunters reticle and a 3.5-10 x 40 with regular duplex. I really like the side focus on the LR but, I found I preferred the little smaller and lighter scope. Mostly because the VH reticle was harder to see in the woods and low light conditions where I was chasing coyotes. Started out with Leopold 30mm rings and bases and switched to 1" Talleys when I went with the 3.5-10. I let the 84 Talleys go with the Kimber when I replaced it with the 700 LVSF and I run Talley lows and the 3.5-10 on the Remington. For a dedicated carry rifle for coyote it works just about right. I'm pretty sure I still have the Kimber 84 Leopold bases and 30mm rings if you are interested.
    Last edited by Timber Smith; 12-30-2007 at 23:34. Reason: spelling

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I believe this rifle comes with the kimber basis and the leupold rings, not sure what size, wont know till it gets here and that maybe a couple weeks.

Not familiar with talley rings either. Really I'm not much into firearms at all, as the handle suggest I'm into stickbows pretty much till now, and shotguns for turkeys though that is going to change this spring also.....