Thread: Outdoor Research Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe

Default Outdoor Research Exped Downmat 9 Deluxe

any one tried this sleeping pad? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=182329

I will probably end up with a thermarest but wanted to get some opins on this. It weighs 1lb more but it may be worth it if it packs smaller and is more comfortable.
    Primarily use would be sheep

Those look nice and they have good reviews! That link doesnt work, but this one should.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...arch&noImage=0

I was planning on buying one of these for an 08 float trip, but the one you listed looks a little lighter and probably warmer. 10 oz lighter for about the same length an width, but yours is 1" thicker. Might have to go down to cabelas and check them out.

http://www.thermarest.com/product_de...?pID=115&cID=5

If you are wanting it for sheep hunting those pads look awefull heavy to me. Check out the BigAgnes insulated air core for an inflatable pad.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia

I have one and it's great. 2.5 inches of air between you and the ground make the rocks disapear I have the 20" x 72" x 2.5" mummy style. Rated to 15 degrees and is insulated with Primaloft. It weighs 21ozs and packs down smaller than a 1 liter nalgene bottle.

Oh, and it takes me ten deep breaths to blow it up, not too bad.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd- Thanx! I think you sold me lighter and 1/2 the price! How is the durability?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Snyd- Thanx! I think you sold me lighter and 1/2 the price! How is the durability?

The material seems very durable. I have only used it in tent but I have'nt babied it. It's been on two walk in sheep hunts and on the ground in a wall tent and a few other tents. No holes in the fabric.

Here is another thread I started about one small issue I had. No biggie. BigAgnes is a good company

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...light=bigagnes
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Just want to second the Big Agnes bags, but for me, the reason is performance coupled with generous size. I've very been so comfortable in a mummy bag. (Usually feel like I'm actually dead and buried.) I'm 6'4" and usually 235 going out on trips. (190 coming back....)
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

The Big Agnes mat worked great for me too on our caribou hunt this last August. It was plumb amazing how the 2.5" of loft seemed to make those tundra hummocks level out. Well worth the extra time it takes to inflate/deflate it. For other than backpack hunts, you can also get small hand-cranked pumps that double as a campfire bellows. I seen 'em on the Campmor site. If more than one of your party had inflatable mats, you could share the pump. Of course on a float trip, you have your foot pump for the raft anyway...HH

Default Hijack

Since the thread has been hijacked in the Big Agnes direction, I have a question for you owners of the BA Insulated Aircore...how is it for insulation?

I am a cold sleeper and am looking to get a "warmer" pad to carry when the forecast warrants, rather than the Z-rest I normally tote. I've been tossing between the ProLite 4 and this Aircore. The BA site estimated the R-value of this pad to be 4.1 (greater than the 3.2 for the TR ProLite 4)...has anyone actually slept on frozen ground, snow, or nights that dip below freezing with either of the these pads?

Bryan

I work with a guy that swears by the exped mat. He is an ice/mountain climber in the winter months and claims he has never found anything better.

I have a pair of OR gloves that were pretty beat from normal use. The fabric around the seams was wearing thin, something that I would consider a reputable company to cover under warranty.

Last year I was cutting meat with an ax and I almost chopped the thumb off(didn't get my finger though.) I was hoping that OR would repair them for me. I called and told them and asked for an estimate on what it would cost to fix. They said that their products had an infinite warranty and that it was covered. I again told him that I cut it myself due to an accident and he said it was covered.

I just sent the gloves back last week so I don't know what they will do but I have been pleased so far. While I am not familiar with the mat, they stand behind their products and I would recomend them for that.