Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau doe closure

Default Juneau doe closure

In speaking with several of the area biologists, this closure is based almost entirely on "reports from unsuccessful hunters that there is very little sign of deer near the Juneau road system and on the northern coast of Admiralty Island."

What I'm wondering is: how come the whole area gets shut down just because a few hunters didn't see much of anything? How many areas have ADF&G biologists looked at? Why haven't they taken into account any of the reports of huge clusters of animals a bit farther south? I guess I don't know enough about the in-season management practices anymore. It used to be that in-season closures were based on actual census counts and biological data, not just the word of some unlucky hunters.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd assume thats how they get population estimates, much like the way they get wolf population data... I'm suprised they waited so long
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If the population is truly diminished and harvest risks exceeding MSY, then yes, I can see the need for in-season closure. I guess I'm not familiar enough with how populations are counted. It just seems crummy that the whole region is closing when for all we know, Port Alexander and Angoon could be over run with does. I know the Bay of Pillars is thick with deer this month. If only the weather would cooperate for a longer run!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exclamation i bet juneau's area bio has the same problems our's does

why don't you ask him how much money he has for discretionary (like in season census, flight charters, etc...) expenditures. you will likely be shocked.

a couple years ago our bio's had less than $5000 for all "extra" or unanticipated projects. this means air time, overtime, drugs for tranquilizing animals, census flights... anything not in the years budget proposal. this is for ALL af gmu's 7 & 15....

if you want scientific management, somebody has to pay for it!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

dave speaks the truth...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

"reports from unsuccessful hunters that there is very little sign of deer near the Juneau road system and on the northern coast of Admiralty Island."
    If the decision was based off of reports from these areas, then the closure is unfortunate. I know I haven't seen anything on north douglas, and my friends who live/work out there have told me that they're not seeing anything either.

On the other hand, when I was able to get in the alpine on Douglas earlier this year, I saw 12 one day (granted, that was just one day). So I know they're out there...my point being that the deer population was affected unevenly (same thing that CanCan is saying...)

But from my perspective, if you had told me before the season opened that the does would only be closed for the last 2 weeks, I would've been fine with that..

Default No Big Deal

I agree with "No" - lopping 2 weeks of doe harvest off the end of the local area season doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

1A doesn't have a doe season which IMHO helps our critter population stay more stable.

kingfisherktn

1A doesn't have a doe season which IMHO helps our critter population stay more stable.
    I would say the other thing that keeps your population more stable is averaging 37 inches (Ketchikan) v 101 inches (Juneau) of snow...

I guess that's sort of my point...
    1) What's the point of a short closure during a low impact time anyway?
    2) If the information is based solely on reports from the road system, it's a bummer that my clients who can get farther down to Pybus or the Bay of Pillars have to be affected.

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Instead of shooting up a bunch of does, go kill some bucks.

Seems pretty simple to me........

I think they should have closed the doe season way earlier! At least on Douglas (1C), which prolly has the highest hunting pressure in the state. Closing off all of Admiralty might be a bit extreme, but what else could they do? Make up an imaginary line thru the island for the last 2 weeks? I don't think that would be very feasible.

We should be giving these deer a break after last winter, at least in the high pressure areas. I still can't believe that the doe limit wasn't reduced this season.

But hey, bucks are still open...so you guys have still got a chance to fill the rest of your tags.

It's not 1C that has people complaining. I agree, Douglas is a very high pressure area. Closing all of GMU4 early just seems excessive if their census data is purely anecdotal from the Juneau road system...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yeah, I agree with you CanCan. I just think it would have been impossible for F&G to split up unit 4 in such short notice. I also doubt they based this purely on Juneau roadside hunters.

Boy I'd love to hunt the Bay of Pillars. What an awesome place! Spent a couple weeks down there last summer at Kutlaku lake.

Too bad all you working-stiff types have to work! I'd be happy to set up a charter anytime... ;-)

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    yeah, I agree with you CanCan. I just think it would have been impossible for F&G to split up unit 4 in such short notice. I also doubt they based this purely on Juneau roadside hunters.

Boy I'd love to hunt the Bay of Pillars. What an awesome place! Spent a couple weeks down there last summer at Kutlaku lake.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Too bad all you working-stiff types have to work! I'd be happy to set up a charter anytime... ;-)
    Yeah...working sucks....

I've got lot of leave time though! *hint hint*

Default welllll

yes, some areas in unit 4 were lucky but I would hazard a guess that those areas have some pretty good stands of old growth timber, which helped the deer survive this last winter. Many areas in 1c and 4 had a horrendous winter kill, some estimates by f&g was up to 80%. Just running around this spring and seeing winter kill carcass after carcass made me a believer. I have averaged a full limit of deer for at least the last 20 years, some years tougher to hunt than others, but this season has been the worst I've ever seen as far as numbers of deer. I believe F&G should have shut down the doe season from the start, AND, lowered the limit on bucks to 2. This might have helped in the speedy recovery of deer populations. Trying to have piecemeal closures is not viable, so we should just bite the bullet and hope the recovery is swift.

I thought the same thing as well....I was out by Bishop bear hunting and saw 4 winter kills in 25 yards of beach - One of which appeared to have been a nice buck...

Can Can, You had better not be hunting in Bay of Pillars in December, It closed at the end of November. All of Unit 3 closes in November, not December that is Unit 4.

One Lung, we (Forest Service and ADF&G) did do beach mortality transects all over Southeast this spring. We did not really find much in the way of winter kills. At least not what we expected. My hypothesis is that most of the deer died in the deep snow event in early November of last year. The deer normally stay right at the tree-line as long as possible and are pushed down as the snow accumulates. Last year it came in a massive amount early in the year. I would suspect that it trapped deer in the high country and they could not get down. That is probably why we did not find winter kills at the beach. Jim

Default closure needed

gotta agree with Jb, however I saw a lot of dead deer near the beach fringe too..six lying in one stretch within 100 feet...on NE chich. I found two dead deer at the end of Nov. on the beach..and the fawns were standing on the beach starving...I saw many floating carcasses and saw partial remains on other beaches...I would suspect the large tides washed away many of them...gotta have reproduction to bring back the population..
    anybody get any big bucks this fall in unit 4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast