Thread: Airboat Owners: Need Advice

Default Airboat Owners: Need Advice

I'm wondering, from those of you, with a ch2 belt driven reduction kit hear belt slap when the belt is within spec? Engine is a marine 350 with a three bladed whirlwind.

I have some other questions if anyone is willing to chat via pm.

Thanks in advance.

Talking Reduction

Gremlin
    I can't afford gas for an airboat, but you might try this forum if you don't get any response here.
    Good luck, stu

OK, I up and did it, and bought an airboat. I can't wait for the rivers to open up again.

Default You own an airboat, why wait.

I converted from a jet boat to airboat three years ago and have seen more and had more fun than jet boating the previous 22 years.
    My airboat doesn't burn any more fuel than my Duckworth did and I can haul more and worry less.

I'll know you'll fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    OK, I up and did it, and bought an airboat. I can't wait for the rivers to open up again.

Please do not try to go out of Deshka Landing with it It took the last guy that tried a couple of hours to peel it off the pilings at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Please do not try to go out of Deshka Landing with it It took the last guy that tried a couple of hours to peel it off the pilings at the bottom.
    Hmmm... I wonder how come the Thunderjets, Red Dots, Graylings and even the barges that use the Deshka Landing have never experienced that? Every airboat I have seen draft way less than any of these craft. It used to be a problem at the old Talkeetna Launch, but even they have since cleaned up the old train cars from the river.
    WG, good luck with the new airboat. There are virtually untapped rivers and resources out there for your enjoyment, even by launching out of the Deshka Landing <grin>.

I've been driving airboats for awhile now, but recently decided to get back into the ultimate shallow water boat. Many times I have launched an airboat at the Deshka Landing and I know exactly what they are capable of. Thanks for the advice though.

WG, good luck with the new airboat.
    Thanks a bunch. I know these automotive engines in airboats can be a crapshoot, so I am just hoping for the best and I definately have my fingers crossed. She's a 16.5' Leonard airboat with a canvas top and low hours. At one end of the spectrum I am excited but am so nervous I could build a foundation out of the bricks I have laid.

I have a cabin on the Su and I never have had a problem with getting in /out of the landing. In fact there has been many a time in Sept. that I use the main launch when boats were waitng to use the low water launch.

When you park it on the gravel you drive on out,

Any suggestions who I should take this boat to so I can get the motor checked over, get the throttle cables replaced, and tuned up?

I would think any good reputable automotive mechanic should be able to check out a 350. They are pretty basic. As far as the belt slap goes, I suspect cavitation at the prop. After a good tune up, I suggest using a manomometer (you can build one if you want to, using a board, a piece of clear tubing and a piece of vacuum hose), to determine the amount of load you are putting on the engine at rated cruise RPM. You could also shoot the prop with a strobe tachometer and determine prop speed as well. It should not be exceeding 2800 RPM, or you will begin to experince cavitation. The prop is adjustable, but it is a little bit tricky to do, unless you have the tools. Too much load on the engine is not good and not enough load on the engine means you are not fully utilizing the engines ability. You want the criuse prop speed at about 2300 to 2450 RPM for maximum prop efficiency and pretty simple to do the math, if you have the exact reduction ratio from engine to prop, to acertain the actual engine RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder how come the Thunderjets, Red Dots, Graylings and even the barges that use the Deshka Landing have never experienced that? Every airboat I have seen draft way less than any of these craft. It used to be a problem at the old Talkeetna Launch, but even they have since cleaned up the old train cars from the river.
    WG, good luck with the new airboat. There are virtually untapped rivers and resources out there for your enjoyment, even by launching out of the Deshka Landing <grin>.

OOPPS!!!!

Sorry Iwas talking about taking it out while there is still snow on the ramp.

Right now it is looking better and better for the air boat then sled anyway.
    The Su has alot of open leads this year for thoise riding that way.