Thread: Bullet choices

Default Bullet choices

First I will apologized if this topic has been discussed before, I searched for the answered with out any luck.
    Here is my question. If you were going to reload for a 338WM for grizzly what kind of bullet will you pick?

• Swift 250
    • Nosler Partition 250.
    • Name your bullet of choice..
    Thanks in advance

Default 250 Grain SWIFT A-Frame.....

or the 250 grain Swift A -frame.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default check the "shooting forum"

AKdude...back track over to the Shooting Forum, then scroll down towards the bottom of the page and you'll see a poll entitled, "If you could only use 1 bullet." It's an interesting poll that should answer your question.

Default Why Not 275 Grain Swift?

For griz. why not go to a 275 grain swift? You can load them to 2500 FPS and it would give you a bit more knock down power over the 250 gr slugs.

Woody

I think if you add the Barnes XXX bullet to your list you could choose any of the three and have the confidence they will do the job you expect it to.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up Barnes 225gr TSX

My Barnes 225gr TSX and Reloader 19 in the 338 Win
    Alaska

Default 250 X

I would stay with the old 250 X bullet I have been using for years. I would feel just fine though with any Swift, Nosler Partition or X bullet that was at least 210 grains or more. Those tough, long bullets give just what I want, great straight line penetration.

Either bullet you listed would do the job without a hitch, my preference would be the Nosler Partition. There are many other makes of bullets that would get the job done as well, but I assume you've narrowed your choice's down to these two excellent bullets.

A buddy of mine killed one this year in the flats that will make the book. Head was over 25" and he squared close to 8ft. He was shooting an old 06 with 180 grain Fusion ammo. 2 shots and bear was deader than dead. How do you like that, some of us hem and haw about the best bullets, the best guns, and the best powders, this guy (we'll call him crackhead) as thats his nickname, goes out moose hunting with a plain jane rifle and the cheapest ammo they had on the shelf and kills a book griz with no issues. Amazing how we complicate stuff to the death HuH?

Swift 275 grain.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

250 Gr Swift or the 225 TSX........

250 to 275-grain A-Frame, or a 250-grain TSX. Or, a 300-grain Woodleigh loaded for 2400 fps.
    Although I don't hunt bears

Alaskadude,

I believe you will get many a answers. Think bonded or Barnes 225 grain on up. Nothing wrong with 250 grn. Noslers either-I reload lots of them for both my win mags. Sectional Densities is very good and they're plenty heavy --shot placement dictates bullet weight and .......

Reloading is fun, it will help you develop confidence and experience at the target range and in the field.

enjoy,