Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a gun for protection/safty

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default Do you carry a gun for protection/safty

I guess the title says it all. do you carry handguns or some type of gun for protection while you are bow hunting. Also have any of you had problems while out in the wild. Thanks in advance for the help and recomendations.

Default More information

This is an old thread on the subject.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=carry

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Side Arm

Carry a Ruger Predator in 44 mag with Speer 270gr GDSP while bear hunting
    Alaska

Exclamation Yep

I carry a LAR Grizzly in .45 Win Mag w/ 300 gr hand loaded bullets as a back up. You never know when a Big Brown Fuzzy will show up! I know I can draw the pistol faster then I can pull an arrow, knock it, draw, aim and release on a charging bear. Just my opinion though

Default maybe

On a recent sheep hunt I rigged a holster on my pack waist belt to hold a large can of pepper spray. It was a lot lighter than a handgun. But I was in open country all the time so if push came to shove I should have more time to make choices.
    Several hunts on Admiralty and Chichigof Islands found me with my ruger RH .44. But, and this is a big BUT, years ago I found out just how bad of a shot I was. A trooper friend of mine who also instructs hand gun shooting took me to the range regularly for a couple of months. By the time I was done I shot well.
    When I got ready to go on the Island hunts I practiced with the .44 again almost as much as my bow. Handguns are not as accurate as long guns and the energy is not there to cover up mistakes. If you are not willing to take lessons and/or shoot a lot, leave the handgun home.

Default Depends

It depends on the Unit I am in. In Fairbanks recently I carried only the bow. In Unit 13 at the bait stands where I knew that a brown bear would be a real probability I carried a 12 gauge and Brenneke slugs. Out on PWS it is usually my .44 magnum. I have taken the 12 gauge out there but only when guests were hunting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

yes carried 44 for years then to 454 now have 500 S&W like 500 alot better than 454 more user friendly. son charged by bear coming out from successful sheep hunt no shot fire and bear decided we were the sheep he was smelling i guess. turned 5 yards from my son. son was 50 yards in front of me on trail....did not have to repeat myself any more about staying close
    one year had at least 4 instances with bear along Sag river. no shots fired then either. same bear different days on 3 of the times. somebody finally shot him thou he was tearing up camps at boat lauch.
    usually no problems .
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I do carry and I have had to use it one time at a bait station. I had a grizzly mom and her cub charge in at us. My friend and I ran up to the tree stand. Two grown adults in one tree stand. You could tell the stand wasn't go to hold up for long along with them standing underneath the stand looking at us along with making this awful growl. So I fired a round (shotgun) into the ground. The sound and dirt kicking up scared them off. It usually takes about 16 minutes to get back to the truck. Well that day it took about minutes.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default nope i "run what i brung"!! :

not to say whats rite , i have been in a" two" griz spot with a" ss 1885 browning high wall ..if u get thur it, it makes for a good story ..not to mention make the 1st shot & "thougth /decision " count and make it RIGHT.( well so far) feels good ....

Nope I don't.

I carry a taurus titanium 41 mag.

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

I have been told that a 45 acp or 357 mag would be good enough is that correct or not. Also do you use revolvers or automatics. I was looking at the xd 45's and the ruger pistols. thanks for all the replies.

I also carry a revolver . It is a 500 Magnum . I have had a couple close contacts with the Big and Fuzzys and like the comfort of having it .
    If you put the time and practice and trigger time in you can get quite good with one .
    I have currently shot 10,095 rounds through the tube .
    I keep a log of what is used .
    5,210 rounds have been full house 700 Grain loads and the other 4,885 have been various weights in hard cast .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Default .44 Mag

A few years ago when S&W came out with their AIR-LITE models, I picked up the .44 mag and carry it with 305 gr Corbons all the time and everywhere I go. 4-leggers, 2-leggers, they're all out to get us!

No, when im out bowhunting I dont carry a gun. Just me and my longbow.

There is one special situation though., the baitstand requires a firearm in my eyes.

Oh yes i'll cary a 475 A&M MAGNUM bolt action pistol with a for inch barrel. Just kidding, as Dave said this has been asked, and answerd. But if the big game bites back, it's better to live , and hunt another day!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I always have my Glock somewhere close by

I carry just when sitting on bait stations. Never used it dont really care too either. I have had some close calls with critters especially the cubs running up trees around me and momma getting a bit peeved. I carry a 44mag with 320 grain backpacker specials. Like i said i wont be upset if i never have to use it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default joe nava

It would be interesting to get Joe's input on this. As I recall from stories he told, he carries a .357. For those of you that don't know him, he is very knowledgable about handguns on many different levels.
    I have heard from several sources the .41 is a good round. Likewise, I have heard the .45 is not a good round for bear. Very little penetration.
    As you think about a handgun, think about how much you have shot, how good you realy are, do you like recoil or are you able to handle recoil, and if you bought a handgun, which one would you shoot the most to become and remain proficient.
    When it comes to handguns, my experience is limited. But what I see with most people that do carry scares me. They just do not practice enough to be safe or proficient. Seems most men think that they are good just because they have testosterone.

Default .357 and bears

I thought the .357 was too small for protection from bears? Do you need a particularly hot round?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast