Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for 300 Win Mag

Default Ammo for 300 Win Mag

What's everyone's thinking on bullet type and weight for a 300 Win Mag. with moose and griz on the agenda?

Default most common

quality 180gr... Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded or Nosler etc.

What WinMag said

I would go with the 180gr for the moose. As for grizz I like 220gr soft-tip round nose.

If a grizzly is on the agenda, you want either a top-end 180-grainer or a 200 grain.

300 WM velocities can rip up an old-style cup-and-core 180 grain bullet with a close shot or hitting heavy bear bones.

Alternately, you can launch a 200 grain bullet from a 300 at about the same speed as an '06 can launch a 180 grainer. That's plenty flat-shooting enough for shots on moose and bear (the experienced bear guys around here tend to say you don't want to take long shots on grizzlies).

With that 200-grainer you can add some oomph with reduced chance of the bullet fragmenting.

Do you handload?

Default 300 win mag

I like shooting a 180 gr. Barnes TSX, or a 180 gr. Barnes MRX. I have been shooting the Triple shocks for the last few years and have been pleased with the results. I just tried the MRX's last fall for the first time, very pleased with them also!!

Default .300 Win

It seems to be understood that you are reloading. If so, I like IMR4831 or 4350 and Nossler Partition bullets. This year I trying Barnes tripple shock TSX. I like 180 gr in both.

I also like the older Winchester 200gr silvertips.

If you are buying already loaded rounds you can get premium boxes loaded with Nossler Partition.

Just remember: the best bullet is any old bullet placed correctly.

Winchester Fail Safe works for me. Any one else use these? I have also had good luck with Remington 200 grain Swift A-Frame.

Default Fail Safe

I use the older 180gr Fail safe in my 30-06 good tough bullet!

In the 300 Win I use handloads of Reloader 22 and 180 Nosler Part
    Alaska

Something to keep in mind is that bullets have changed a whole bunch over the years. I always used to shoot 180's in my 300 WM. My latest go to gun is a Kimber Montana 300WSM and this year I used 165 grainers for everything, sheep, deer and moose. The 165 grain TSX blew right through a moose and kept on going doing all kinds of internal damage along the way. Penetration is key and with old school bullets that used to loose so much retention the heavier the bullet you started with the more bullet was left over at the end of its terminal path. With some of the bullets available today you end up with the same weight or more when all is said and done with. Just some food for thought. I can tell you that if I had a griz in my crosshairs I wouldn't hesitate for one second to put a 165/168 TSX where it counts and absolutely know its bustin a bunch of bone and muscle before it comes to a stop! I am in the process of loasing up some 168 grain TSX's for my 300WSM for next year and theres not much in this state I wont poke with one , with the exception of the big bears down south!

Default some more options

for a general bullet I use Winchester CPX3's. Latest ones are the ballistic tip style about $35 a box. I busted a blackie with them and they do the job excellent. Oh always shoot 180 grns for everthing. This fall though I was going brown bear hunting for the first time and psyced my self out on the CPX3's. Convinced myself they were not going to be enough. I bought the Remington Safari Grade Swift A Frames in 200grn for close to $60 a box. Two shots dropped the bear like a sack of rocks. I posted a thread "Survivor Man" Back in october. Never recovered bullets but at only 44.5 yards the first shot did some awesome damage and covered a lot of mass and still passed through. Second shot just finished the lungs. My ruger loves all factory ammo. The 200 grainers shot higher at 100 than the 180's. Never adjusted scope shot bullets back to back just to get an idea. Windage was the same. I must say stay away from remington core loct crap. Not impressed with that stuff.

Default Give Hornady at Try

I've shot both the Custom and he Heavy Magnum (180 gr) and my Encore loves them both...

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ... I must say stay away from remington core loct crap. Not impressed with that stuff.
    Well, I don't think Core-Lokt is crap. It just isn't a brown bear or dangerous game load but for deer and sheep it slams 'em pretty good. If you use it for its intended purpose, Core-Lokt is hard to beat.

My 300 likes the 180 Nosler. Just wasn't sure about stepping up to a heavier bullet. Thanks for everyone's imput.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I must say stay away from remington core loct crap. Not impressed with that stuff.
    Gotta add that I saw a moose shot with them, and they performed flawlessly. Pass through, and the bull only went about 30yds.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

200 grain Nosler Partition for both.

I use 180 gr Barnes Triple Shocks exclusively, works great on deer, moose, goats and bear. Just be sure to use copper cleaner at the end of season cleanup on your gun.

FWIW I usually hunt both those critters with one of my bigger calibers ( because I can) but I run 200g TSX out of my.300WM when sheep or deer hunting if I'm down in the brush. Good results accuracy wise

Default my take on the rem. core lokt

on a caribou hunt years ago I one or two mis fire, messed up my counting and could have tagged one more bou, swoop and shoot hunt. Second in my gun they kick harder than anything else, even the 200grainers. Third my dad wacked a blackie this past spring and all we found in the bear was the jacket, core not lokted to tight. No exit hole and no lead. But the copper opened nicely. So I am not a believer at in that stuff. So I call it junk. My dad was shooting .338, mine was .300wm. The remington Safari grade was my first box of remington ammo in years. Just don't trust them since the problems we have had. But the safari stuff was awesome, sure put the hurt on the brownie.

Default 200 grains

In a .30 caliber "magnum" I do not believe their is a better bullet weight then 200 grains for all around use in Alaska. Just use a tough bullet. I would lean towards the Nosler Partition, Swift A Frame or Barnes X.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast