Thread: Skilak Lake ice conditions

Default Skilak Lake ice conditions

Would anyone know if Skilak Lake is iced over yet? I wouldn't think so, but I haven't been there for a while

Thanks!

Its not iced over yet but its on its way. I had my last trip 2 days ago and there were thick chunks of ice starting to float down river. Fishing was excellent though. Tons of silvers spawning so there is a whole new bead bite going on. Think 10mm. It was cold as hell though, dress really really really really warm. Make sure you have good gloves and your reel is dry. Had to chip ice off the guides all day and even had to unfreeze a reel. Lots of steelies in the upper holes. GL

Adam

Default Where were you?

Unless I have missed something, there are no steelhead in the Kenai.Lots of people think those toads below Skilak have to be steelies, but its never been confirmed.

Default au contraire

Indeed steelhead have been documented in the Kenai through scale studies and dna studies. It is believed by some however that these are Kasilof steelies that have lost their way. Heaven only knows. I have heard from some very old timers that Cooper Lake supported a great steelhead run before the lake was dammed. I think it is possible that there are a few stragglers from that. But, the truth remains that steel has been found on the Kenai. Check with ADF&G in Soldotna for more info.

I do agree that many incorrectly identify the Kenai hogs as steelies. And vice versa.

one of last years toads.

36" long 24" girth+ 24-27 pounds.

It is not a steelhead.

Default kenai steelhead

I caught a steel head about 4 years ago at big eddy soaking eggs for silvers confirmed by the f&g office. I know of 1 other caught in the lower kenai confirmed by f&g. But have heard reports of others catching them.
    Mine had no color band just solid silver but it was obvious to me it was not a silver by the different spot pattern it had and by its head. So I took it into the office for a confirmation. Was told it was probably a kasilof fish that lost its way.

Default Skilak

does not even have shore ice as of 10 am this morning. Ducks swimming 10 feet off the boat ramp.

Trust me what I have seen are steelies. Dont know of bows ready to spawn and sealice scars as well as seal or netmarks on their sides. At top of that being 30in with a 13in girth. I have taken a few scale samples already and just waiting for the feedback. From my understandings is that they tried to implicate the Kasilof run some years back and were getting too many strays to the Kenai and that is the reason why we are catching so many now. There was thick chunks of ice floating down river that could cause some problems if you are not paying attention, I didn't say it was iced over, just chunks floating.

I had heard of a few confirmed steelhead in the lower river, that like was mentioned, strayed Kasilof fish, but never any confirmed in the mid or upper river. Please let us know what they find on the samples you provided. I asked a bioligist about the fall spawners close to 20 years ago,and was told there were a few native fall spawners, and that they were possibly a different strain of rainbow. I have never caught any with sea lice scars or net marks, but that sounds like pretty good evidence that they were steelhead! Unless of course they did'nt get hung up in any Ninilchick nets!
    You sure would think that we would no more about what fish spawned in the worlds most famous river. But that should probably be a different thread.

I believe that there are a limited number of steelhead in the river, however a seal bite is not good evidence as they are fairly regular visitors to the system. I have seen them as far up as the inlet of Skilak river eating trout. This one was just below the Killey river a few weeks ago.

Default Thanks for the update JTM9

I appreciate you and everyone else letting me know this info. Fortunately for the ducks, the season is closed for them; but not for those feisty trout!
    Keep 'em tight!

All the best!

sm

I have seen what i thought to be steelies just below Skilak. They are a bit different then the rainbows in color patterns and were deffinitly not silvers. Thats just my 2 cents.

Middle river steelhead caught in September of this year near the upper Killey.