Thread: Research, biologists and ?????

Default Research, biologists and ?????

Besides biologists, who else can I talk to at the Alaska Fish and Game that might have information that is helpfull for moose and caribou? Is there a lot of forest service land, and thus a call to the forest service might also help?

Thanks

Default it depends

Don,

You have to contact the land management agency that is responsible for managing the land you are interested in, ie. Bureau of Land Management, US Fish & Wildlife Service, US Forest Service and the State of Alaska for example. Each one would have an assortment of "ologists", foresters and field going folks that are a wealth of local information.

US Forest Service lands are limited to the Chugach and Tongass National Forests.

Default No answer with biologists

I have never had a biologist return a phone call. I have only spoken with a biologist when he/she actually answers the phone. Must be all of the biologists that I have called, answering machines do not work.

I have received my best info from transporters, and this website. The search option here turns up a wealth of info.

Default Bios

I have had great succes from bios calling me back I have found them to be Very helpfull with questions they can answer. Dumb luck who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post

US Forest Service lands are limited to the Chugach and Tongass National Forests.
    Ah... this is what I get for talking too much on the airplane to Denver 2 days ago.
    I met a gentleman who sat right next to me that works for the US Forest Service for Tongass National Forest.

If you need his information directly, I could plug you into it... just PM me.
    It might be your best route if you have very specific questions that you can't have answered by usual people.
    Lurker.

Default a secert

Today's biologists were yesterday's students and today's students are tomorrows biologist. Check with the Alaskan Universities and look at research papers and reports. I have always found Master theses and Doctorial dissertations to be a very good sources of information. The University in Fairbanks has a wildlife department and the library should have lots of journals an report available. Even if the student attended a university on the outside and does there research in Alaska it is customary for the student to forward a theses to the state university.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Ah... this is what I get for talking too much on the airplane to Denver 2 days ago.
    I met a gentleman who sat right next to me that works for the US Forest Service for Tongass National Forest.

If you need his information directly, I could plug you into it... just PM me.
    It might be your best route if you have very specific questions that you can't have answered by usual people.
    Did you get his name, could you PM me? I'm curious if I know him.

Default Area Biologists

I've had very good success both in contacting area bios and receiving calls from them when I left a message. Keep in mind that many of them are a one-man show in their area and they may be in the field for days on end. My best luck has been calls in late fall or sometimes early spring, before aerial counts and such.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay