Thread: Spring draw and transporters

Default Spring draw and transporters

How do you arrange a transporter and plan a trip for a spring draw? If you book a spot and do not draw - and the transporter can not, or will not, find a replacement then are you just paid for a spot you did not use.

Are there guys willing to take a deposit and refund it if you do not draw? I have not found anyone yet. I fully uderstand they are filling your space and if you cannot go they should not eat the cost, and even if they fill the spot it is extra time and headaches for them.

However with many hunts having low odds of drawing I know everyone is making arrangements after the draw, so how are you doing it? Seems like any left with openings are "leftovers" and probably not a good plan?

Another question is, can a transporter take you to a spot THEY pick? Meaning they are not guiding you but taking you into a good spot. I thought this was illegal but a lot of guys are doing it.

A transporter can take you to where others have successfully taken game. I have done this with several transporters. Also I have booked with them for a hunt in a harvest area in case I did not draw, If I draw a tag I go to the tag spot. If not I go to the harvest area. Or be Johny on the spot and watch for the list to hit the net and try to beat the other winners to the phone.

Good Luck

Steve

When does the winter draw results come out?

February, usually around the second week.

Steve I thought of going to OTC area but really do not want to in this case, so I would not want to hunt if not drawn, and the draw I am looking at is spring, I would be very leary of a transporter who was not full after spring draw was out! i am sure others have had this problem, I figure a flexible transporter is the key. I suspect Wright might be able to pull it off. Guessing though.

What I did last year was book an air charter into an OTC area in case I didn't draw a tag, which I didn't so I was good to go. This was for a sheep hunt. I am trying to do the same thing again this year only into a different area than last year, still waiting to hear back from the air charter company.

Default some do and

some dont, Some keep your doposits and you can fly with them another year, some will return it, some will keep it. Transporters are NOT supposed to pick a local for you, than can give you a list of area's they service and you can pick from that list

Default Sure TRANSOPORTERs can take you to a spot they pick

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    How do you arrange a transporter and plan a trip for a spring draw? If you book a spot and do not draw - and the transporter can not, or will not, find a replacement then are you just paid for a spot you did not use.

Are there guys willing to take a deposit and refund it if you do not draw? I have not found anyone yet. I fully uderstand they are filling your space and if you cannot go they should not eat the cost, and even if they fill the spot it is extra time and headaches for them.

However with many hunts having low odds of drawing I know everyone is making arrangements after the draw, so how are you doing it? Seems like any left with openings are "leftovers" and probably not a good plan?

Another question is, can a transporter take you to a spot THEY pick? Meaning they are not guiding you but taking you into a good spot. I thought this was illegal but a lot of guys are doing it.
    I CAN NOT TELL IF YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT A BOAT BASED OPERATOR OR AN AIRCRAFT OPERATOR.............

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR A TRANSPORTER TO SHOW YOU ON A MAP WHERE HE IS GOING TO TAKE YOU..............DRIVE AROUND AND LOOK FOR A SPOT TO DROP YOU..............IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR A TRANSPORTER TO TALK TO YOU AND PLAN WITH YOU YOUR TRIP.................IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR A TRANSPORTER TO PROVIDE YOU OVERNIGHT ACOMODATIONS............IT IS NOT ILLEGAL FOR A TRANSPORTER TO PROVIDE GEAR AND EQUIPMENT TO YOU..................

KEEP LOOKING YOU WILL FIND A TRANSPORTER TO WORK WITH..............ONE MORE THING...................

AIRTAXIS HAVE EXEMPTIONS FROM THE TRANSPORTER REGULATIONS!!!!!

Default Transporter and Airtaxis

If they could only drop the client were he wanted, there would be alot more accidents or alot fewer hunters in the field. I think most operators know there area well and know the best areas and places to land. Getting them to take you to some of their best spots will probably cost more or as I have found the more often you fly with someone, the better they take care of you. Also, they probably remember a good tipper.

Terry

Default hhmmm

This is more news, so I cannot tell a transporter where to take me? Oh boy, that is new, I have to follow there plan, thus all my planning, scouting and research are a WASTE - I am totally at the mercy of the transporter, and since this is my first time with them they have many repeat clients that will get higher priority.

I think this is another benefit of floating, you can move and not just hunt with 1 mile of where they drop you if you are not floating.

I also wanted to point out in national forest I am familiar with here in the lwoer 48 (Colorda for example) a transporter CANNOT decide where you will hunt you have to tell them where to take you! This is the opposite. For example I was hunting NF in CO for elk, I found someone who was not an outfitter, they owned a ranch and packed in nature hikes etc, they could only pack me in if I picked the spot, and they could pack elk out.

DonV, try calling the transporter and talking with them, thats what I do and if they tell me they can't take me into a certain area then I find someone else that will.

Default sure you can

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    This is more news, so I cannot tell a transporter where to take me? Oh boy, that is new, I have to follow there plan, thus all my planning, scouting and research are a WASTE - I am totally at the mercy of the transporter, and since this is my first time with them they have many repeat clients that will get higher priority.

I think this is another benefit of floating, you can move and not just hunt with 1 mile of where they drop you if you are not floating.
    You certainly can tell the transporter where you want him to take you. You're paying for transportation, right? If you've narrowed down the area you want to go to find someone who will take you there. They get paid by the hour.

ok gotcha, I thought, legally, you had to let them pick. US forest service imposes different rules down here, very confusing and want to be sure I am legal!

Default 2008 Caribou/Moose Hunt

I'm booked with Ram Aviation out of Kotzebue this fall for hopefully a Moose Hunt. Since it is a drawing they make you book a date and charge you for a Caribou hunt. If your lucky and draw a moose tag they will take you on a moose hunt. If you don't want to secure a date with a Caribou hunt they will book you a date for a $500 non refundable deposit. If you don't draw and don't come it cost you the $500. I think booking a caribou hunt and changing into a moose hunt if you draw is a better way to to.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    I'm booked with Ram Aviation out of Kotzebue this fall for hopefully a Moose Hunt. Since it is a drawing they make you book a date and charge you for a Caribou hunt. If your lucky and draw a moose tag they will take you on a moose hunt. If you don't want to secure a date with a Caribou hunt they will book you a date for a $500 non refundable deposit. If you don't draw and don't come it cost you the $500. I think booking a caribou hunt and changing into a moose hunt if you draw is a better way to to.
    Cool; sounds reasonable and like either way your going hunting!

How much are they charging per hour and what kind of equipment are they using and can you rent any gear for them..........in case you wanted a raft or something?

Is Ram air an Air Taxi operation or an outfitter?

Default transport

a charter service can not pick a spot for you. You can discuss places that you want to go, he will let you know if its doable, he can give you a list of areas he can service. He can tell you how past hunters have done, but he Can Not make the decission, you must pick the spot.

Default transport

a charter service can not pick a spot for you. You can discuss places that you want to go, he will let you know if its doable, he can give you a list of areas he can service. He can tell you how past hunters have done, but he Can Not make the decission, you must pick the spot. If you were to say "where would you go, or pick a spot for me, or Ill leave the spot up to you" the transporter should tell you that they cant do that.

Default Think you are confused

You call a transporter and tell him you would like to go bou hunting. 90% of the hunters are not going to know were the bou are migrating, and they are not going to know were a pilot can land. In two days the caribou might be 100 miles away. Or you pick a spot and someone is there, what you going to do, fly are until yo find a sport the pilot can land?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    a charter service can not pick a spot for you.
    WRONG, but in case you wish to defend your point please "quote" the reg.

You can discuss places that you want to go, he will let you know if its doable, he can give you a list of areas he can service. He can tell you how past hunters have done, but he Can Not make the decission, you must pick the spot.
    Still WRONG; but in case you want to defend your point please "quote" the reg.

If you were to say "where would you go, or pick a spot for me, or Ill leave the spot up to you" the transporter should tell you that they cant do that.
    NOPE, still WRONG.............quote the reg my friend that backs up your "bad" information.

And for the record...........GUIDING is a personal service performed beyond the point of transportation............

Quote the regs dude........