Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakutat Cell Phone Service ?

Default Yakutat Cell Phone Service ?

How do cell phones work in Yakutat fishing the Situk. Can one call a cab at the mouth of the river to use as a chase vehicle going back to the bridge.?

Default Don't count on it

My ACS cell phone did not work there in September. I don't think there are any service providers that have coverage there. Satelite phone might be your only answer. You could call one of the lodges and I am sure they could tell you whether or not anyone provides service.

Steve

The lodges do turn arounds for you. Car rental $100, Turnaround both car and boat $50 (I think) Boat rental $200 ( Ithink)

No cell service.

If you are renting the boat, work it out with the rental group, I am sure they have things they can line up.

no distractions there!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking

No distractions/ conveniences what so ever! You are stepping back in time only it costs more! I'll be back next week for what could be a long time! Best of luck, PM me for when you'll be there... we'll have a beer. I guide on the salt.

Lightbulb a little more

There's only one cab in the town. It would behove you to rent a car for convenience, and to avoid the cab thing. You'll want to live on your own time. Call Leo at the Mooring Lodge for the most reliable cars in town. best of luck fishing!

Thanks for the INFO Guys. Need some more.

Cap.K i called Leo at the mooring lodge so the vehicles done. Will rent a Satellite phone in Anchorage,,,, we are staying in a cabin called Eagle. AKPM got any info on it, Like how long does it take to float from the bridge down to it, can you see the cabin from the river?. Should we take a chain saw for sweeper?? When do the guides start working the river?

Default Distance down

Eagle and Raven are both right next to each other, about three miles down. The three mile float takes a little bit of time so do not think you passed it. It is on the left side of the river on a long slow stretch below a log jam area. However, there are log jams everywhere so you will not know it when you see it. There is an opening at the cabin area. It is a landing strip. The bank is kinda high so you won't recognize it as a landing strip until you pull yourself up the bank. There area a few pull off spots for parking the boat.

Good luck. Be prepared for weather all kinds in one day.

I Google earthed it and found the air strip. Yip it’s about 3 mile down river, I would hate to float by it so a gps might come in handy. I found that its a unbaited, single-hook ,artificial lure year -round. So to those that have fished it what should I have in my tackle box? Is there a local fly shop in town.?
    Last edited by fishook; 12-13-2007 at 20:29. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    Thanks for the INFO Guys. Need some more.

Cap.K i called Leo at the mooring lodge so the vehicles done. Will rent a Satellite phone in Anchorage,,,, we are staying in a cabin called Eagle. AKPM got any info on it, Like how long does it take to float from the bridge down to it, can you see the cabin from the river?. Should we take a chain saw for sweeper?? When do the guides start working the river?
    I'm floating it in early may... Never been down that far, but I'm sure that the guides keep the float passable as they start working it in late march or early april...

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    I Google earthed it and found the air strip. Yip itís about 3 mile down river, I would hate to float by it so a gps might come in handy. I found that its a unbaited, single-hook ,artificial lure year -round. So to those that have fished it what should I have in my tackle box? Is there a local fly shop in town.?
    What are you fishing for?

We are fishing steelhead april 2-6. What does a clown fly look like?

For the metal heads, I've always done best with glo-bugs. The multi colored ones (clown flies?) seem to work the best for me, but I've had luck on about every color. Small flies during the day and leeches in the morning and evening was the trick for me anyway.

Get some good flourocarbon tippet. The fish always seem shy, and there are a lot of big hogs.

Beware, the Situk will spoil you for steelheading. You'll understand when you start walking up to holes and say "ahh there's only six in that hole, lets try the next one"

Skookumchuck thanks for the post, I will be sure to load up on glo-bugs. Say has anyone tried pulling plugs for them, if so what kind of plug and size.??????

Plugs work great in high water that's colered-up, but.....In early April the water will be low. There should be lots of snow as well. That can make walking a real chore so you'll probably be stuck to walking in the river. You're going early. maybe too early. New fish won't be arriving in good numbers yet. When they do they'll be concentrated down low. Wintered-over fish will be up higher, like above the bridge. There's no way you'll miss the FS cabins unless you're blind. They have big brown signs with yellow engraved lettering to tell you where you are, and the signs are up on the bank for boaters to see. They sit about 3/4 of the way down an absolutely straight stretch of water at least a half-mile long. The first 3/4 of that stretch is treeless. Look left. At that time of year the road may not be open yet at either end. If so, ride snow-go's to the bridge and walk UPSTREAM. In that case trails will be unpassable so you'll need to wade. With chesties you won't have any problem. The nearest hole to the cabins that's worth fishing is downstream about 1/2 mile. The river will bend gently right and then will take a left turn. That's a good stretch. In low water the fish lay back, in high water they're up higher in the holes. Low water they're tighter to the bank, high water more in the middle. I don't believe you'll see high water that early. In fact there may be so little water that you can't float a boat with more than one guy. The river won't be cut by guides until the road is open. I doubt you'll have the space to carry enough saw to do much good. Yakutat trees are rather big.

If I was going that early I'd figure to do the whole trip walking upstream of 9 mile bridge. No ka'oi.

Lots of info in that post thanks Mr.Pid. Iíll have to keep my fingers crossed on the road being open and the early run of fish. Instead of the chain saw sounds like I should take snow shoes. We were going to rent a 16 ft drift boat (still may) but we do have access to one man pontoons as well, should keep that option open I guess. Low clear water sounds like you need to sneak up on them, catch one, eat a sandwich have a beer then stalk again? Thanks to the post i am felling better knowing the cabins are marked well.

The benefit of going early is that there are very few other people. The danger is that fishing may be slow. I prefer to fish alone and catch fewer fish. The window you've chosen may be barron or may be very productive. The difference will be up to Mother Nature. The adventure will be exciting either way.

You had asked about plugs. My advice is to visit Piscatorial Pursuits' website and familiarize yourself with using jigs and worms under a float. For the length of the river you'll find shallow riffles that are good for a fly rod and slow pools that will frustrate a fly boy. Jigs catch fish and will double the amount of fishable water for you. Maybe triple. If you go above the bridge, leave the jigs behind and take the fly rod.

Make no mistake, fish will be available. They just may not be at or near the FS cabins. Be flexible enough to go to where the fish are, and it may take you a day or two to figure them out. There won't be many river reports at that time and the conditions can go from slow to hot overnight. You will be the prospector, and that in itself is way cool. Go get 'em.

Bob Ball has a great website, i have look at it before but never dug into the steelhead part as this is my first real attempted at fishing them. Iv seen his boat on the Kasilof for years King fishing I mean King catching thatís more like what he does (great fisherman.) So now slip bobber, pink worms & jigs will be served up daily for those indigenes fish. Thank for the information Mr Pid as i will be way more flexible now. Its starting to fill like a hunt then fish trip.

Mr Pids advice on the jigs/worms and floats is good. If you're fishing w/ hardware, thats probably the best way to go. Seen guys absolutly slaying the fish last year with floats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast