Thread: Old Town Guide Motor?

Wink Old Town Guide Motor?

I just bought a detachable motor mount for a Old town guide canoe 16 ft, and am hoping to mount a small, 2 hp motor, to zip around the bays for duck hunting. Anyone use a setup like this? I see Minn Kota makes electric motors, but if I used these i'm concerned that i"ll run out of battery, and have to fight the wind/ waves when i'm alone which is most of the time. Any info/ advice would be appreciated. Thanks Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I use a Minn Kota on mine. I have gone four miles out on one battery and have had no problems. I allways take a spare battery just in case one dies and allso for a counter weight too keep the bow down. Between me the batery and the Minn Kota the front will sit up high in the wind. if your on your own sometimes I put the spare tire and the battery in the front.

Default Old 2 stroke or something.

I did this once with an old two stroke 3 hp. and it was excellent. I would keep an eye on craigslist for an old light 2 stroke outboard, or just buy the briggs and stratton 5hp outboard. A bit pricey at $795 (if you can find one at this years boat show I think you might be able to score it for about 550 or so). It weighs 56 lbs. which is a bit heavy, but still lighter than two batteries. I would personally go for the old two stroke, but if one cant be found by summer, a man's got to do....

Chris

Wink

Thanks for the info. When I bought my canoe, the owner gave me a tip, he said if i'm out alone the canoe can be reversed, your sitting on the front seat backwards, and then it"s balanced when you paddle. All you need is a cushin to make the seat ,that your now sitting in backwards, comfortable. Then you don"t need so much weight up front. At least it works/ helps, with my Old Town. Thanks again Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30