View Poll Results: If sheep hunting dates changed to 9/1 to 9/30 what would you hunt? Sheep or Moose?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • would only hunt sheep

17 23.29%
  • would only hunt moose

4 5.48%
  • would still do both

52 71.23%

Thread: Sheep poll #2

Default Sheep poll #2

Almost 100 have answered Sheep poll #1 so here goes #2.

If the hunting dates for sheep season where changed to 9/1 to 9/30, how many would still hunt sheep? How many would choose to hunt moose instead? Both sheep and moose populations are down and hunting pressure is up. I am only thinking of ways to lower hunting pressure but still keep Alaska from going to an all draw state.

i think it would make a pretty big difference, specially since we start playing with the weather factor, but most moose ends the 15th or 20th, so you'd probably see a big sheep push the last ten days or so of shee season.
    anything but the draw...for now. till another 100,000 move to alaska and want to know why the non resdients get to shoot a sheep instead of them.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Would still do both. I do most of my sheep hunting in September anyway and can take time off work when I need to. Now let's have the school teachers and people with kids weigh in on the ridiculous idea of an August 1 sheep opening.

Well if moose and sheep were open for the whole month I could do both. But, moose is only open for 2 weeks. If I had to choose though I'd choose sheep like a mentioned in another thread.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default In My Prime

I always hunted the first 10 days of September. Sheep had usually started to move, most other hunters were gone, Weather with out a doubt, was iffy, but always had huntable days out the 10 days I woudl go. Rain, snow and more rain and snow, but always some sun as well.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    anything but the draw...for now. till another 100,000 move to alaska and want to know why the non resdients get to shoot a sheep instead of them.
    Now that's the funniest thing I've read all day. I think we ought to be issued tags by seniority.

I voted that I would still hunt both, but I would focus on sheep first and would be severely limited by time off due to the beginning of the school year. I'd probably take 3 days off and try a 5 day (including weekend) sheep hunt most years. I would then hunt moose on the other weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Now let's have the school teachers and people with kids weigh in on the ridiculous idea of an August 1 sheep opening.
    I would personally love to see an August 1st sheep opening, but as was pointed out to me when I previously made such a suggestion, it would likely be harder on the resource and eventually result in more restrictions. More people would hunt sheep then, as even caribou season is not yet open, and success rates would likely be higher due to favorable weather and longer daylight. So...as much as I'd like sheep hunting to fit my schedule, I'm not so sure it would be a wise move.

Since I don't hunt moose the first 2 weeks of September I would squeeze in a sheep hunt during that time frame.

sheep season is already open until the 20th a 40 day season is a heckuva lot better than 30....the sky isn't not falling yet.

Why in the world would you want reduce a hunting opportunity that already exists?

We should be advocating for more hunting times and access instead of less. You might just find that with more hunting times, and more areas to hunt- the pressure component would drop. Whether that means that harvest will increase is a whole different argument and another .

Why dont you add another line to your poll called

"Leave the season as it is"

Then I'd probably vote

Default another poll

i'd like to see a poll of how many sheep each guide succeeded or didn't succeed in harvesting. i'm reading so far that some hunterse hunt sheep every year, have a little less than 50% success on average, and they are willing to allow some restrictions imposed on themselves for the benefit of sheep and/or sheep hunting. (that would put the average hunter at 1 legal sheep or less per 4 years) i haven't read anything yet from guides saying they make a living based on clients harvesting several sheep every year, and maybe they should allow some restrictions imposed on them for the benefit of sheep and/or sheep hunting. this kind of poll, if there is participation, would more realistically show "impact" on sheep killed in alaska.

holly,
    i take one sheep hunter a year, two at the most. i'm 50 percent kill as of right now. 70 percent opportunity.
    Master guide 212

Smile see brwnbr

you're devastating the population if all the guides had the same stats you do, there wouldn't need to be a thread. best of luck hunting.

ya i'm a big predator when it comes to sheep, dang near cleaned my area out, about to move over to the next one and clean it out before the resdients get to it first!
    When you get one client a year its feast or famine, he's either not gonna be ready, in that case, no sheep. or he'll be ready and that usually means a sheep...don't have the large number of clients to balance out my percentages like some outfitts do. I do know guides who run upwards of 20 sheep hunters a fall though.
    Master guide 212

Default that needs to change

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya i'm a big predator when it comes to sheep, dang near cleaned my area out, about to move over to the next one and clean it out before the resdients get to it first!
    When you get one client a year its feast or famine, he's either not gonna be ready, in that case, no sheep. or he'll be ready and that usually means a sheep...don't have the large number of clients to balance out my percentages like some outfitts do. I do know guides who run upwards of 20 sheep hunters a fall though.
    Time for a quota for guides, big difference between a guide taking out 2 to 5 hunters a year, but when you start pushing 20 thats tooooo many

So much for this poll! I was hoping to see the number split.

Most would still hunt both even if the season was 7 days long.

Thanks for taking the poll. Please let figure out something before our state go to all draw.

Default I'm with Cutter

I'm not ready to give up opportunity that isn't being asked of me yet. Or put in writing that I'd be willing too.