Thread: Weight of your loaded pack

Default Weight of your loaded pack

For a 10 day Sheep hunt what are some of your pack weight's when you start out? I want to get an idea if i'm in the ball park after I get mine loaded.

Md

Talking Backpack weight

close to 50 and hopefully closer to 130 or more on the way out!!

Default define "pack"

Just as a warning... You might need to clarify your question.

Defiine "pack" - Do you mean - "in your pack?" To include - "on you pack?"
    Or do you mean "The total combined weight of the stuff you have to haul to the top of the mountain.

Don't laugh... I had some interesting conversations trying to nail down how a guy was carrying a 27lb pack for a 10 day hunt. After much conversation and lots of direct questions I learned that our perception of pack weight was totally different.

Some guys don't count stuff that is'nt "IN THEIR PACK" trekking poles, water, rifle, optics... Stuff hung on the belt, around their necks or over their shoulders.

Some guys count everything down to their skivvies...

I figure if my legs/back are having to hump it to the top then it should count... Whether or not it is "IN" my pack...

I usually target the following two numbers... And then whittle down from there...

Pack only - that's camp, clothes and food, water (no rifle/optics) - 45lbs
    Everything including boots, poles, worn clothes, rifle, optics - 70lbs

You could likely find alot in the archives on the above question.

Hope this helps..

Backpack Weight

1. Petzl Tikka Led 2.74oz
    2. Snow Peak Tit Spork .6oz
    3. Knife 3oz?
    4. Small First Aid Kit 1.5oz / .75oz?
    5. Lip balm .36oz
    6. Nylon ditty bags, zip lock bag and stuff sacks 3oz
    7. Trash Bags 2oz
    8. Dry sack 4.5oz
    9. Soap 2oz
    10. Two Releases 4oz
    11. Range Finder 7oz
    12. Lighter .77oz
    13. Cooking Stove “Snow Peak Giga Power w/ Piezo” 3.54oz / 1.77oz
    14. Pot “Evemew .9l” 4.04oz / 2.02oz
    15. Fuel 20oz? / 10oz
    16. Purification drops “Aqua Pure”! 2oz?
    17. Camel 3L bag 3.5oz?
    18. Water ?
    19. Dried food 8 days 62.4oz or 7.8oz day
    20. Breakfast food 8 days 49.6oz or 7.2oz day
    21. Lunch food 7 days 35 oz or 5oz day
    22. Hunting tags and Lis 1oz?
    23. GPS 5.3oz
    24. Digital Camera 8oz?
    25. Spotting Scope 45.8oz / 22.9oz
    26. Tri pod 30.24oz / 15.12oz
    27. Internal Backpack 125oz?
    28. Sleeping bag “REI Sub Kilo” 14.3oz
    29. Sleeping Pad 20oz
    30. Sleeping waterproof stuff sack 1oz
    31. Maront Precip Jacket 13oz
    32. Maront Precip Pants 13oz
    33. Gaitors 2.5oz?
    34. Socks 2 pair 6.6 oz?
    35. Light weight hunting paints 1 pair 11 oz
    36. Light weight underwear 3 pair bottoms 18 oz
    37. Down jacket 9oz?
    38. Underwear top light weight 2 pair
    12oz
    42. Wind block fleece gloves 4oz
    43. Garments 2 pair 14oz?
    45. Tent 98oz / 48oz?
    46. Tooth brush and paste 3oz?
    47. Pack towel 1oz?
    48. Toilet paper 1.5oz?
    Total 666.79oz / 41.67lbs

Minus shared weight 100.56oz
    560.23oz / 35.01lbs

What I’ll be wearing or carrying in hand

1. Bow 112oz
    2. Arrows 16 oz
    2. Garments 1 pair 7oz?
    3. Wind block hat 2.91oz
    4. Under top light weight 1 pair 6oz
    6. Light weight hunting paints one pair 11oz
    7. Hiking boots
    8. Socks one pair 3.3oz?
    9. Binocular harness 3.5oz
    10. Binoculars 27.5oz
    11. Leki Collapsible/telescopic walking shaft 1 5.8oz

Total 189.21oz / 11.8lbs

Here is my list for the this year I haven't finished it bit all most. The ? are things I need to get. If their are two weights one number is if there are two of us and the other number is for just me. Hope this helps you.

Default great post

I'll be comparing your list with mine. I'll bet I learned something. Only a sheep hunter... Good luck this year!!!

Thanks for the post
    N8

Default pack

Inotice you use only one trkking pole. That's what I've come to do also as I found myself spending a lot of time and energy fooling with the second one when bushwacking.It seemed to me the scond one was only helpful on manicured trails, and I haven't found many sheep mountains with such. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. No bug dope? What's in your first aid kit? no sunscreen?

Default Not a happy camper

I just realized my sleeping bag weights 29oz not 14.3 that extra pound. Now, I have get another bag.

Leki Collapsible/telescopic walking shaft 15.8oz.

Sorry, when I did the post everything didn't come out right. I use two treking poles and they weight 15.8oz. I did a goat hunt in BC and we had to cut a trail up the Mtn. and the poles did get in the way a fair amount. I like using both poles when coming down the Mtn. with a heavy load of meat.

I don't use bug dope or sun screen. My personal thought is it just adds extra weight. I've been carrying a bigger First Aid Kit from REI but I'm going to start carrying a really small on the trail and the leave the bigger kit at base camp. I'm not sure what all I'm going to put in the kit. Do you have any thoughts.

On my 10 day solo I packed in 70 pounds total, including rifle and other "clip-on" type gear that wasn't in my pack. Seems like a lot, and it was. But the 140 pounds on the way out was a lot heavier...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Unhappy pack weight

Yup, 10 to 12 day loaded hunting pack usually weighs in at 65 to 75 lbs goin' in....at least coming out is usually downhill (mostly) to base camp!

Default 50 lb limit

I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the 50 lb limit 40 mile air limits us to. That limit excludes the rifle. 10 day hunt. Anyone know how strict they are on that? Do expect them to scale my gear?

-Carnivore

Default 40-mile

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get to the 50 lb limit 40 mile air limits us to. That limit excludes the rifle. 10 day hunt. Anyone know how strict they are on that? Do expect them to scale my gear?
    Carnivore,

How big of a guy are you; how much do you weigh?
    Plane is set up to handle a 200lb passenger and 50lbs of gear, on average. Wear most of your clothing, even if it's hot. Put binos or camera around your neck for pics or looking during flight. Put shells in your pocket. It's obvious to Leif and Randy and Vanessa (in the office) who has too much stuff. They will weigh your stuff if it feels over. Depends on how much you weigh as well.

Have a great trip; couldn't go with a better outfit or pilots.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Utahhunter
    I just realized my sleeping bag weights 29oz not 14.3 that extra pound. Now, I have get another bag.

Sorry, when I did the post everything didn't come out right. I use two treking poles and they weight 15.8oz. I did a goat hunt in BC and we had to cut a trail up the Mtn. and the poles did get in the way a fair amount. I like using both poles when coming down the Mtn. with a heavy load of meat.

I don't use bug dope or sun screen. My personal thought is it just adds extra weight. I've been carrying a bigger First Aid Kit from REI but I'm going to start carrying a really small on the trail and the leave the bigger kit at base camp. I'm not sure what all I'm going to put in the kit. Do you have any thoughts.
    Utah,
    Sorry if I missed it on your list, but you don't carry salt for hide prep?

Quote Originally Posted by Utahhunter

First aid kit has elastoplast bandages, 2" roll elastoplat bandage, bactroban antibiotic ointment, painkiller(222's),sunscreen, polysporin eyedrops, sutures(2),needle for splinters, (leatherman used as needle driver), broad spectrum oral antibiotic (5 days worth), antiacids, cough drops, steristrips.

No, I leave the salt at base camp. I cape it out and do my best in getting all the meat off the cape. After I'm done I head back to base camp, ASP.

Thanks for the advice for the first aid kit. What is the total weight of the kit?

Carnivore, The last above including everything is just 46 lbs and 8oz. All you would need to bring is two extra days of food. Don't worry about a couple of pounds over 50. Hope you have a good hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr
    Yup, 10 to 12 day loaded hunting pack usually weighs in at 65 to 75 lbs goin' in....at least coming out is usually downhill (mostly) to base camp!
    Just weighed my pack with 1l of water and no ammo, 64lbs, your post made me feel somewhat less insane.

Maark,

I weigh right under 200 lbs. I'm 6 foot 7 inches tall but thin. I'll finde a way to make the 50 lbs, but with a metaqbolism like mine, I'm a guy that has to eat! Thanks for the post.

-Mitch

Thumbs up Lighter ...

If you want to lower your pack weights even further, check out this site --> http://www.backpackinglight.com

Not all advice is applicable due to durability concerns of some of the gear; but many of the methodologies are sound.

I had no problem getting my 8 day sheep pack down to 50# including my bow. Then I added water...LOL...and I was up near 58#. Still no big deal. This was a two man trip so we shared the load as far as the tent/stove/food went. With my one man tent and food I still think I could make 50# easily. I am, however, the world's fattest sheep hunter so I went up the mountain at dang near 300#.

Now, I am flying out with 40 Mile for a 9 day moose hunt this year and getting to 50# is KILLING me. I very rarely leave home without a 10# kit of rope, pulleys, and caribiners for a moose hunt. That kit makes moose butchering so much easier, but it looks like it will stay home. It kills me to know that I won't be hiking with the majority of the gear, except to the edge of the strip, and I can still only bring #50. I saved a bunch of weight by consolidating my raingear/outershell with a set of River's West fleece raingear. This stuff is so hot I can't imagine wearing it on any other hunt besides a moose hunt, but it's warm and perfect for the little less activity that moose hunting affords. Another big poundage problem comes with the hip boots I always seem to need moose hunting. I may just get my feet wet and deal with it in my Meindls.

It's all in fun though