Thread: Gun Case/Sleeve for float hunting

Default Gun Case/Sleeve for float hunting

I am looking for some a waterproof gun case/sleeve for my float hunt. I think that Kolpin makes one but I am unable to find it. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

Default Sleeve

Try looking at www.LLBean.com

LL Bean link

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...9-MSN_Shopping
    I have bought 2 or 3 around Fairbanks, got the last one at the Prospector Outfitters on 3rd. I use them with a floating gun case and put both into the Kolpin gun case. I like the yellow or orange in case they go into the river. I have two hanging in this pic.

Steve

Check with Nomar in Homer....I believe that they make one.

Default Waterproof / Floating Case

I've used the Kolpin case for years. I belive it's the same one as in stid2677's pic. It's padded (protection/flotation) and has a roll-up / velcro end seal. Mine have been used alot over the yrs. and don't show hardly any wear. Forget where i got them, but i think it was at the old pay-n-save stores that we had here back in the day.

Mine is different than sid2677 pic. Sportsman whrs. is a Kolpin dealer in ak.. Don't know what area your in though. Attached a pic of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hilljack69 View Post
    I am looking for some a waterproof gun case/sleeve for my float hunt. I think that Kolpin makes one but I am unable to find it. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
    Where city are you in?

Default Nomar in Homer

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    Check with Nomar in Homer....I believe that they make one.

http://nomaralaska.com/gunscabbard.htm

the nomar one is pretty cool and will float you and the gun

Default Nomar Weatherproof Gun Scabbard - Bathtub field trials

Weatherproof/resistant cases from LL Bean, Kolpin appear well-made. The LL Bean case at $30 (plus $5.95 shipping) especially looks like a good value - has been field-tested (above) and is waterproof. The other (water resistant/proof) cases seem to range from $60-$80. The Nomar, made in Homer is $95, plus $5.70 for postage.

Anyway, the Nomar case arrived last week. To test the seams/closure seal; forty minutes in the tub with shower on and tub plugged. It floated very high in the water, so I put some chains (8 1/2 lbs) on the closure end, to keep most of that end submerged. The last 20 minutes, I turned the shower off and just stood the case on end, closure end down in the half-full tub. The seams and closure all had opportunities to fail.

No doubt any closure will fail at some point if the gun drops into the river, but I wondered how much this case might leak bobbing downstream, then maybe being pinned underwater. After 40 total minutes, I carefully wiped off water and removed the 7 pound, 46 in long shotgun (rifle not available at the time) from inside. Some water did seep in; thin, even layer moisture inside the first 5 inches. Two wet spots on the inner, foam liner -each a 1/2 inch wide by 1-2 inches along the edge.

I figured 40 minutes was enough time to recover a rifle that fell into the river. I was satisfied that this case will protect my rifle, which at 43 inches total length, would allow another fold also. Weather coating, ability to float and reliable closure seem the most desirable characteristics. The LL Bean case would definitely have been worth a look if I'd known.

Lightbulb altho i am still researching,

i have heard nothing but good reviews on this one:

http://www.drybags.com/home.html

Of course, with shipping to AK it'd set a guy back $100...

Default Rewind: Nomar gun cases...

The price for some soft, waterproof, floating gun cases is the one drawback, but we've been using 2 which function very well. Since purchasing the Nomar case, we've had it out on a dozen trips including a half dozen multiday floats & hunts. It's been an excellent performer, so here's some field feedback. We use 2 floating, softside, waterproof gun cases/scabbards, one by Nomar in Homer and another good product by Watershed.

First, the Watershed closure is tops for waterseal. Humorous note on that: on the Goodnews float, a visiting family member couldn't get the seal to break as he hurried to extract the 12ga inside. That bear sounded close (we never saw him), but maybe not close enough ?

But the Nomar closure is excellent too and easier to work with in the field. Also, scoped rifles don't hang up coming out of the Nomar case. The best Nomar features have been: tough protective cover, secure closure, wide mouth that doesn't snag on scopes/slings/swivels, the padded inner liner and outside d-rings.

Both cases might be overbuilt for what one needs. But for a floating, tough, padded, soft case for river trips - Nomar is 5 stars ...and made in Homer!

Check out www.sagebrushdrygoods.com as they make waterproof bags of many sizes and some for rifles as well. They have an ad that has been running in "Fish Alaska" magazine for some time now. Made in Alaska. Never used them, but worth looking into perhaps. Must be a custom order product as I don't see it on their website, but a waterproof rifle case is pictured in their magazine ad.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.