Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden or Skilak Lakes

Default Hidden or Skilak Lakes

Does anyone know if these are good lakes for ice fishing? You can PM me if you don't want everyone to know. I've been exploring all over for ice fishing and would love to share stories and hot spots. I know these lakes have fish, but they are both so big, i would like to know some general areas to start. Also what types of fish, i assume rainbows and lakers.
    Thanks guys or Gals

Yes. Hidden is very a very common ice fishing destination and is even published as such. Folks ice fish both Skilak and Kenai lakes as well. As for where to start... well, you could look for concentrations of holes that others have drilled and fish the same general areas, but there are no guarantees. I've usually had the best luck fishing closer to shore rather than out in the middle...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Durring the summer I have caught small bows on Jean lake. Also for the holes look for blood. If people are catching and keeping fish there should be some around successful holes.

Default ICE??

What is the ice conditions at Hidden right now? I would like to plan a camping trip to it this winter. I used to fish the lake and was pretty happy with fishing their. Since I have moved from the Southcentral area I have only made one trip back about 13 years ago. Concentrations of Kokanee, Rainbows, some Dollie Varden but primarily lake trout is in the lake. Use heavy line as you can never predict when something heavy will strike.

Thanks, and I also look forward to seeing some ice updates from those lakes. I always look for blood around holes. It is the best sign that fish are being cought. I have always had my best luck in 4-12 ft of water. Some times i will go as deep as 20' but never do i go any deeper. I have never pulled large numbers of fish from the depths in the winter. The best for me has always been aroun 10 feet. Maybe i will see some of you out there in the next couple weekends.
    Keep the tips and reports coming. Happy fishing people

Bryan.

Iv fished Hidden in the past @ 90 to around 110 ft for lakers.. Anyone else fish deeper then that ? Caught some nice fish in the ealy 80's as long as your arm, we were jigging for them a foot or two off bottem.

Dang that is deep. Has anyone else done this??????? With good success???????

Default you bet

I have also fished in water over 90 feet and had good results. The Hidden Lake is a very deep lake and it is a good idea to try some of the cliffs as you can have good results.

Wow, good tips. I would have never tried that deep. But i also have not spent much time targeting Lakers. This is my goal for the winter though, so thanks for the help.

Were yall fishing that deep durring the summer or winter?

Default skilak hidden ice

I was on skilak lake in my boat duck hunting last weekend, I think it will be quite a while until skilak or hidden freeze up, if they do at all or at least have enough ice for safe traveling.
    We are just now getting some cold weather down here on the kp. up until this week, it was still above freezing down here during the day. I drifted the kenai from river quest to the kenai dock on sunday first time I have ever been on the lower kenai that late in 25 years.

Well how was the duck hunting?

Default winter

When I used to ice-fish those depths varied and it was common to catch in the depths up to 90 feet and deeper. Also shallow depths of as little as 10 feet. My favorite lure was almost always a large spoon type lure. Trolling in the summers it is best to move aroud the shore line or find a nice spot to cast from such as a rocky point. Good luck , share your stories when possible.

Default Ice thickness data

Here are a few links from the National Weather Service http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ice/it_pacr.php

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/php/icedb/...er&obyear=2007

I also have the same data on http://www.iceshanty.com inn the forum area under fishing reports.

Good luck hope you get some more ice down there soon.

FF

Default Ice on Hidden

This lake is slow to freeze, and it is a lake you wouldn't want to go through on! At this rate, we should get a good freeze on it within a week or two. Probably drivable by mid-January. Skilak gets so much wind it takes a lot longer, and it too can be tricky. Several years ago a guy died when his truck went through.

If you mean Doxee(sp?) He drove off the ice into the outlet of the lake, and his wife dropped a U-haul through ice on the S side of Caribou Is. in the shallows.

No cars, or trucks on the lake ice unless you are a property owner on the Is.

Default Practically speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    If you mean Doxee(sp?) He drove off the ice into the outlet of the lake, and his wife dropped a U-haul through ice on the S side of Caribou Is. in the shallows.

No cars, or trucks on the lake ice unless you are a property owner on the Is.
    ... people drive out on the ice of Skilak and Hidden all the time when the ice is thick enough. I have driven out in trucks, snow machines, and 4-wheelers. I've fished right out of my truck and never had as much as a word about it from the heat when they checked my license. I know that trucks are to stay off the shoreline, but the ice is OK.

Yes, it was Doxee.

Might want too check you car insurance though a friend of mine lost his brand new truck that way and got nothing from insurance for it plus he had to pay a salvage team to get it out of the lake. This happened when I was still in Michigan and he just finished paying off the debt about 2 years ago! Now when folks say" there's not enough ice for that" he stays off the dang ice!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

(ii) Off-road vehicle use, including operation on lake and river ice, is not permitted. Licensed highway vehicles are permitted on Hidden, Engineer, Kelly, Petersen, and Watson Lakes for ice fishing purposes only, and must enter and exit lakes via existing boat ramps.

That is why I posted the regs for the lakes to help clarify.

Looks like only snowmachines are allowed on skilak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast