Thread: Smoker Hot Plate Needed

Default Smoker Hot Plate Needed

I am trying to build a smoker for doing sausage at the house and I need a heat source. Any known heating element or hot plate hit 200 degrees? Should I just use the oven? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gooch

I am pretty shure that you have already thought of this and decided against it (the cost adds up) but I have had good luck with charcoal brew-quettes.

Default hot plate

it would probably depend on the size you are making your smoker, how well it is insulated, outside temp etc. i used a 1000w hotplate from Fred Myers that cost me about 20 or 30 bucks in my fish smoker. it works ok, but i have started supplementing it with a cast iron pot with 20-30 pieces of charcoal just to up the smoke factor. Alaska butcher supply has components for folks that want to make their own including heating elements etc. hope this helps.

Default smoker element

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I am trying to build a smoker for doing sausage at the house and I need a heat source. Any known heating element or hot plate hit 200 degrees? Should I just use the oven? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Gooch
    Shoot me a private with your phone number and good time to call. I will share what I use. I need more information.

Grizz

First let me preface this by saying electricity for any kind of cooking YUCK!

OK at 200 degrees in the smoke box your not smoking anymore your fire roasting. Any hot plate element will heat to 200 degrees plus, that is barely a simmer, water boils at 212. Scrap that electric smoker and bold a wood burning one. They are more versatile and will give you better results, yes I know they eat up more time as well but if your going to go through the Husserl of smokin your own don't you want the best results possible? Sorry but I'm on a crusade to ban electricity from all cooking and especially smokers!

If your food requires cooking, finish it in the oven.

Smoke is smoke. It is warm, not hot... except the rack nearest the heat source.

I have a walk-in smoker, insulated, and can use any number of fuels to create the environment I want.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Any old single burner "hot plate" will work.