Thread: Float hunting rigs

Default Float hunting rigs

There have been much discussions about round boats vs. catarafts for float hunting. Instead of the argument of which is better suited for float hunting, I thought it may be interesting if everyone posted their float hunting rig (loaded/unloaded) - be it a cataraft, round boat, inflatable canoe, etc.

Also, perhaps some insight as to the considerations that allowed you to make a decision on your float hunting rig would be interesting too.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default 16' cat

I use the cat for hauling capacity and maneuverability.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Some pics

Romo,

I use both cats and round boats for float hunting, trying to choose one that's appropriate to the river I'm floating. I used to think that the cat was the end-all, do-all boat. Though I favor them, I no longer hold this opinion and I have both. That said, here are some cataraft photos for you. The first pair shows a rigid flooring system and what the boat looks like loaded. One photo shows the back end of my cat, using cedar floorboards for support. It's solid, and I run my boat this way all summer when I trailer it. Sometimes I haul the boards out in the airplane on float hunts too. I just like them. The other photo shows the back of the boat loaded with gear. I put a tarp down and wrap the whole load in it to keep everything dry. Of course it's in dry bags too. You just can't load a round boat like this- there's not nearly the room. This means that cats are easily overloaded. Soooo... just because you have the room, doesn't mean you should fill it.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Cargo deck

These photos show two options for your cargo deck; wood or synthetic mesh. Both come in several configurations. With wood you can go with marine ply, cedar boards, or whatever. If you go with plywood you don't have to do it in one huge chunk, and I would not recommend doing that for flyout trips anyway. The mesh material is very light and packs well in the aircraft. It also offers superior ventilation if you're hauling meat on it, and is my preference for float hunting. Mesh comes in different kinds too; the photo is my favorite though. It's snow fence material and it has larger holes, which provide excellent airflow under my moose meat.

I should mention that I have used the same snow fence material for flooring in the cargo area behind my oarsman's seat, and between the tubes in the passenger area as well. It's a bit of a hassle installing it because you have to lace it in with straps or rope, but it does work.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Hauling meat

This final photo shows a cargo deck on a cataraft, using the mesh material, for hauling moose quarters. Excellent ventilation around the meat, but even then I still rotate the bags around at least once a day to eliminate condensation and moisture build-up between bags.

-Mike

I like my Levitator, self bailing and it will haul 2 guys and 2 moose plus. It is light and it will float in water that others have to drag in. May not be the best for rough water, but for shallow hunting and hauling a lot of gear the Levitator has worked well for me. Mine weights 130 lbs complete with oar saddles and cooler for a seat and all the straps and nets, Happy Spending

Loaded with gear for 2 and a moose and caribou.

Loaded with gear and a 60 inch moose.

Here is a couple of the rafts unloaded.

While floating this year I saw many rafts on the water, most were either Levitators or Pro Pioneers. So much gear and so little money, Good Luck!!!

Steve

Default My Rig

Moose X 1, hunters X 2, eight days supplies. I try hard not to see ANY other rafts reguardless of make.

Nice rigs guys. It's hard to believe that you guys are the only ones that have round boats or catarafts for hunting.

Total thus far - 3 catarafts and 2 round boats (Mike S. uses one of each).
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

On our last trip in September I saw two round rafts that has so much gear there was barely room for the hunters. I have no idea how or where they were going to put a moose. The front and back was stacked at least 3 1/2 feet high with quite a lot in the middle with one hunter on top of it. Fully assembled cots sticking out both sides. The rafts were floating well so it must have been mostly light stuff. We have one moose on the cat in this photo. Older 18 foot Aire cat.

Default Float Rig

We got tired of renting 14 foot rafts and finding 12 foot rafts when we unpacked (before Blue Moose got into the business) so we bought a used 18 foot Aire cat. I don't have any pictures but it looks about like the other pictures in earlier replies. Love it!!! Does everything we ask it to do.

We can even pack more than we need so cmp is somewhat luxurious compared to our early years. BTW, "we" means 3 of us.

Default Nice Rig

Here's one.

Default Nice rig, Gooch!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Here's one.
    Now Gooch, you know that's a PV trade secret... you shouldn't be letting those prototype pics out in public until they're ready for the market! Why, this model doesn't even have the beer holder, or the bass stringer... sheesh!

(grinning, ducking and running...)

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Here's one.
    Is that the same rig they gave Nick Saban when he signed that $4M/year contract to coach at Alabama?