Thread: How can I make my 2 cycle oil injected?

Question How can I make my 2 cycle oil injected?

I have a 81 mercury 80hp motor that I would like to make oil injected if I could. It runs a 50:1 mix. Motor runs like a champ!

Most newer kickers are 4 strokers and I plan on getting a smaller kicker motor. All my polydrums are quick releases and it would be nice to just run straight fuel in them, and when I need the kicker all I would have to do is just plug it in to the poly and run vs. bringing only straight fuel.

I'm having a hard time trying to find any information on the web.....

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks.

I dont think you can....but I'm not 100% sure...

Default check with J Kimberly

I had a bought an old jet boat that had a old motor on it. It was fuel injected and they recomended we disconnect it as on older models you just don't know if the oil is getting to where it should they said. So we plugged it, they said it would just turn into a fuel pump and not hurt anything. So I would just leave your motor a lone. Plus I also don't think it can be done, not cheaply any ways. Needs a pump, a way into carb and properly mix with the gas before injected into the cylinders. We took ours to the pros and did what they said. Check with them.

Default oil injection

I owned a 15hp Johnson (2004 model) that I used as a kicker on a larger boat. I wanted to run it off of my main tank so the dealer in Juneau installed an oil injection kit. It was basically a small plastic container that hooked inline with your fuel line very simple and very clean it worked great for the two years I owned the boat. I think it was a Johnson part and not an aftermarket part but I cant remember for sure.

http://www.pamlicomarine.com/msi-eoi.asp

An electric conversion that might work for you.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I never would have thunk it

you learn something new every day. It sounds so easy too. That is why I love this site. So much good info at your finger tips and people are so willing to help.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    http://www.pamlicomarine.com/msi-eoi.asp

An electric conversion that might work for you.

I wish this one could work...but it says it's for 89 and newer and mine is a 81.

But it's a start that's for sure.....It looks like this info might help others that want to do the same thing with a slightly newer motor.

Thanks AKmud.

Cool fixing something that's not broke.

[QUOTE]I have a 81 mercury 80hp motor that I would like to make oil injected if I could. It runs a 50:1 mix. Motor runs like a champ!

[/[QUOTE]

Is it really worth the time, money (parts and LABOR) and possible failure of your "new" system (might I remind you that your main motor is 27 yrs old) to add this part. I think you would be better off taking the extra 3 minutes to premix, carry along a three gallon tank of straight gas and still enjoy your current set-up.

Most people want to change from injection to premix, never heard of anyone wanting to go the other way.

The only "advantage" would be the subtraction of a smaller kicker tank. Doesn't seem justified, does it?

Good luck!

[quote=skinnyriver;180790][quote]I have a 81 mercury 80hp motor that I would like to make oil injected if I could. It runs a 50:1 mix. Motor runs like a champ!

[/

Is it really worth the time, money (parts and LABOR) and possible failure of your "new" system (might I remind you that your main motor is 27 yrs old) to add this part. I think you would be better off taking the extra 3 minutes to premix, carry along a three gallon tank of straight gas and still enjoy your current set-up.

Most people want to change from injection to premix, never heard of anyone wanting to go the other way.

The only "advantage" would be the subtraction of a smaller kicker tank. Doesn't seem justified, does it?

Good luck!
    Fix something that isn't broken.....Good point! Sometimes I need a good eye opener! Thanks.

Default saabs

I had 2 different saabs[model 96] that had oil injection. The problem was that the injectors would clog while i was going 60. BANG bye bye motor.auto shut off for your system?