Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOG Meeting Dates, Deadlines, etc. Lets speak up!

Default BOG Meeting Dates, Deadlines, etc. Lets speak up!

With all our talk about the new proposals, BOG meetings, etc. I thought I'd post this link to the ADF&G Board of Game page with all the 411. If you can't make the meetings you can mail, fax or email comments. Lets inundate them with our concerns as Alaska Resident Hunters. Let our collective voice be heard!

I wonder if it might be a good idea if someone who has a good command of the english language and knowledge of issues could write up a letter regarding certain proposals, hit on some of the problems, etc. Or maybe in this thread we could just list points that we could put in our own letters. It could be posted and then we could copy paste and modify it. I know we've done something like that before with other issues. Just a thought. I've been reading these threads about some of the proposals and many good counter points to the proposals are being made. It's just kind of hard to wade through them all. Maybe we could put them here in one place. Maybe even just copy and paste existing points from other threads. Any thoughts?

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...tinfo/gcal.php
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Talking English language

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post

I wonder if it might be a good idea if someone who has a good command of the english language
    That let's all of us out of the picture right at the start!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thumbs up I'm in

I think this is an excellent idea; can't say much for the command of English, but to consolidate ideas and help come up with counterpoints would be very helpful. More letters to state our positions to the BOG the better. When I get something going I'll post it.

Tim

I would much prefer someone collecting and formulating the entire forum groups thoughts and presenting it in Alaskan Language as opposed to English (Kalifornian) Language. Many new comers up here do not not how to speak Alaskan and the BOG needs a refresher course on the subject. Terms used in correspondence has a profound impact on how the comments are interpreted and embraced or simply cast off and ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    That let's all of us out of the picture right at the start!
    Inupiat will work also!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default BOG Proposal

Fellow hunter/baiters,

I submitted a proposal to the BOG about taking of Grizzly bear over bait. Specificly in 20B. We baited this last season and had 8 to 11 different grizzlies using our bait station. We used a trail camera and gathered nearly 300 pictures over the course of the season. I had a guy that works for F&G look at the pictures and he agreed with the number of different bears. I heard the same story over and over again form other hunters with the number of griz on their baits also this last year. We did however harvest a very respectable black bear off the stand but he was very cautious when approaching the barrel. The board will meet in Fairbanks on 29 Feb thru 10 March to hear comments and rest assured my partner and I will be there!!! With last years 10 DLP's hopefully the board will listen to the hunters. I found it funny when I asked what the population was around the Fairbanks area with griz and I was told 1 bear per 20 sq. miles. WRONG!! on 6 June we had five different bears on the bait that day and during that 24 hour period there was not an hour when there was not a bear at the bait.

LKN4ELK

SNYD: Is this what you had in mind? I took a few proposals and listed a few bullets for or against. I'd love for this thread to take off; I plan on commenting on numerous proposals and could use some points to support or oppose some proposals.

Tim

Proposal # 1: guides placing bait for clients
    Arguments AGAINST:
    ? Guided baiting may led to a decrease of areas for residents to hunt
    ? Will increase the conflict over areas to place bait
    ? Guides may already hunt black bears with clients
    ? Guides may eventually over-harvest black bears, like they do sheep

Proposal #8: One bison per 10 years:
    Arguments AGAINST:
    ? Drawings are random and the one-in-four for bison is adequate
    ? Participation can’t be forced; nobody is guaranteed a permit and it is difficult to predict six months out that you MAY receive a coveted bison permit
    ? Hunters should look at alternatives like applying for bison permits with a higher draw percentage, like Farewell
    ? To limit the number of applicants, bison should be resident only, or at least cap the % of non-res tags available

Proposal #10: Make registration permits available online
    Arguments in SUPPORT:
    ? Unequal distribution of resources
    ? Hardship of travel to/from gmu to get a tag and then return to hunt
    ? As written, some registration hunts are specifically aimed at keeping out non-locals
    ? Subsistence regulations already allow a redistribution of game to locals

Good stuff. I like how you sum it up. We should also address the 1-4 Sheep Proposal.

Another thought is a Lifetime hunting license drawing. WA state has a pretty good program going if one wants to check it for example.... http://www.fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wdfw/...e_license.html

Sure would be great if Alaska had such a drawing and if the revenue generated could actually do some good...... I would buy multiple tickets every year, especially for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-MW View Post
    Good stuff. I like how you sum it up. We should also address the 1-4 Sheep Proposal.
    I'm getting there. Its daunting to attempt to address most proposals. I am going to beg, borrow, and steal ideas off different threads to form solid arguments for/against proposals.

1911: I like the WA idea too, looks like a winner.

Tim

Great stuff so far. Those of us who cannot make the meeting have until Jan 11 to submit comments. If we can get more SUPPORT, SUPPORT AS AMENDED or OPPOSED points on other proposals like tccak71 has done then it will make it easier for guys to cut and paste what they agree with and tweak it or whatever and then ship it off.

BOG Meeting
    Statewide, 2008
    January 25-28, 2008 Statewide Regulations
    Cycle B
    Proposal Deadline:
    November 2 , 2007
    Comment Deadline:
    January 11, 2008 Anchorage

Comments may be mailed or faxed to the following location:
    ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME
    Boards Support Section
    P.O. Box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    (907) 465-4110
    (907) 465-6094 FAX

Or e-mail a message to Executive Director, Kristy Tibbles. Kristy_Tibbles@fishgame.state.ak.us
    Last edited by Snyd; 12-23-2007 at 22:44.

Default Template for submitting written comments

Just trying to make this easy to do. Here is a word document that I typed up that can be used as a template to submit your comments to any Proposals. You can change it as needed but remember that certain things need to be included. Here are the instructions from the BOG website regarding written comments. It references Board of Fisheries but is what is linked to the BOG page. http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b.../fcommtips.php

Perry

About Boards Support

Tips for Submitting Written Comments to Board of Fisheries

The Board of Fisheries accepts written comments on proposals. The following tips are provided to help board members and the public more fully understand the recommendations in your written comments. Public comments, in combination with Advisory Committee comments and ADF&G staff presentations, provide the board with useful information to form decisions. Written comments become public documents.

TIMELY SUBMISSION: Submit written comments by fax or mail at least two weeks prior to the meeting. Written comments received at least two weeks prior to the meeting are printed and cross referenced in the board members’ workbooks. Written comments received after the two-week period will be included in the workbooks as “late comments” and are not cross referenced. Materials received during the meeting also are not cross referenced. If you provide written comments during a board meeting, submit 20 copies to Board Support Section staff, who will distribute your written comments to board members. If including graphs or charts, please indicate the source.

LIST THE PROPOSAL NUMBER: Written comments should indicate the proposal number(s) to which the comments apply. Written comments should specifically state “support” or “opposition” to the proposal(s). This will help ensure written comments are correctly noted for the board members. If the comments support a modification in the proposal, please indicate “support as amended” and provide a preferred amendment in writing.

Do not Use Separate Pages When Commenting on Separate Proposals: If making comments on more than one proposal, please do not use separate pieces of paper. Simply begin the next set of written comments by listing the next proposal number.

PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION: Please briefly explain why you are in support or opposition of the proposal. Board actions are based on a complete review of the facts involved in each proposal, not a mere calculation of comments for or against a proposal. Advisory committees and other groups also need to explain the rationale behind recommendations. Minority viewpoints from an advisory committee should be noted in advisory committee minutes along with the majority recommendation. The board benefits greatly from understanding the pro and cons of each issue. A brief description consisting of a couple of sentences is sufficient.

WRITE CLEARLY: Comments will be photocopied so please use 8 1/2" x 11" paper and leave reasonable margins on all sides, allowing for hole punches. Whether typed or handwritten, use dark ink and write legibly
    Attached Files Attached Files

bump to top

Default Beer

Snyd, thank for starting this post and for your work.

I will buy a beer for every user from this forum that will submit a letter, show up at an AC meeting (MATSU Jan 2nd, MTA bldg.), or show up in person at the BOG in Jan.

This is an important process, all of us should be involved in it.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

TV- I will be out of state coaching basketball through the 5th of January- but will be there in spirit...can I have my beer now?

Tomorrow is the deadline for submitting comments!!

Hopefully BOG will get a lot of comments. I commented on 24 of the proposals. Not sure if I'll attend the meeting or not. You can still fax comments or drop them off at ADF&G on Raspberry for guys in Anchorage.

Tim

Ya, I faxed mine in.

Default thanks

for the reminder. Mine will be faxed in the am. Hopefully makes the deadline. Thank you Snyd for keeping us posted.

Default Sent mine in!

Thanks for the reminder, Snyd, and for keeping this thread alive.

I just sent in my first BOG proposal today!

I hope I have better luck with that than I do with my permit applications...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post

I just sent in my first BOG proposal today!

I hope I have better luck with that than I do with my permit applications...

-Mike
    Boy, ain't that the truth!!

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast