Thread: AK-47 building anyone?

Default AK-47 building anyone?

Got some kits on the way. The new import rules on them are strict so I figure better snatch some up before they are gone/worthless.
    I have never built an AK before, but there is a HUGE resource on the net as well as AGI gunsmithing video courses.
    Has anyone here built one or want too? I wouldnt mind haveing a partner or two in this endeavor. Also there is some jigs to buy and splitting the cost on those would be nice.

I have a Romanian kit on the way. Unfired for 135, bought the unbent receiver flat for 30.00.

Bought two Yugo M95 underfolder kits. Chambered for .223 Those were brand new unissued. 410 a piece. Those were expensive as far as kits go.

Check them out and let me know, or offer some expertise!
    Thanks.

Oh yeah, AK's are dang fun! I have a yugo M70, the thing is pretty accurate and reliable. Not to mention fun. I cant believe I scoffed at them for so long.

When you say "AK-47" you are actually referring to the legal, semi-automatic, non-registered version, yes?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

yeah. I am talking about building legit Ak's for fun or resale. And its totally legal to do. Its just like AR building. You can Make your own reciever. But If you do you can not sell the gun. Or you can buy a premade SN reciever and use that. Then you can sell the gun.

No dak spud has formed receivers, FFL required to order.
    I built one, came out OK. I don't have enough confidence to bend the rcvr flats myself. Fun project!

Im going with a cold steel solutions blank. Its pre bent, no holes. 40.00 No ffl required. So I wont need to get a jig.
    Still a couple of New Romanain kits for 130.00 available. I already have all the tools at home for the project using 80% blanks or formed recievers. SO in theory I should be able to put a Ak together for just a hair over 250 dollars using the required number of US parts.

Im pretty excited about this. It should be alot of fun. Definitley a little more involved than just snapping some pins together and such but that means I be proud to say I built it.

Where is a good place to get kits?

Gunbroker.com is where I have been seeing them. Just type ak47 kit in the search bar. There is another Romanian kit for buy it now price of 135. some others at 145. There is also kits that are partially completed (the hard parts are done) with a buy it now of 350. Those also include 5 of the6 us compliance parts. About an 89.00 value. Probably not a bad way to go.

There is alot of Yugo kits out there as well. The 223 M90 and M95 are going to require some modifications to current Recieves that are available. Or there is a company willing to do a run of recievers when they get 100 people signed up. That being said those Yugo M95's will be worth some coin when your done, there was only 500 kits imported. Also they are Brand spanking new. One guy has them for a 410.00 Buy it now, the other place wants 550.00. The M70 (7.62X39) kits are nice and will be no problem to build.

The RPK kits will be a challenge too.

Look around and pm me if you have any questions. I found a guy in Kenai who has built 4 kits and hes willing to help.

Another very excellent resource for all firearms black are the FAL Files. PM me for the website addy.

Never did the AK thing but have built several FALs.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...