Thread: Winchester apex

Default Winchester apex

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...815&hasJS=true

I just ordered a winchester apex off cabelas. Stainless with mossy oak stock. 189.99 was 439.99, used the free delivery, cannot wait till it gets here.

Wow, that's a heck of a mark down. Can't beat free shipping either. Hope it shoots well.

Did you know it's just a .45 cal that is offered?

I've heard good things about it, but never handled one. On the question of 45 cal, double check the regs on the special seasons. 45 is no prob during the regular gun seasons, but at least some of the primitive seasons require 50 cal minimum, if I'm not wrong. Been wrong lots before, so write it off to comic relief if I'm wrong once again.

BTW- A friend has another brand of 45 (CVA?) and reports terrific accuracy and performance on game with the all-lead 45 cal Maxi. He puts a lubed felt wad under the bullet and a near max loose powder charge (Triple Seven, as I recall). He's given up on sabots entirely because the Maxi shoots as flat, is just as accurate, and has a lot more impact on game. I think you can buy precast for a try, but he casts his own for economy. It's worth checking out once your gun arrives.

Default Muzzleloader Hunts

I knew it was a 45 and heard good things as to the longer ranger and flatter shooting of these. Looked at the regs before and it shows for muzzleloader hunts you can hunt with 45 or larger but no scope. Cannot find even on individual hunts permits where it states anything about needing a 50 cal.

I have shot my friends before and cannot wait to get into shooting it. The big reason I bought it is for Illinois and Virginia as my wife's grand parents have land in each of these with lots of deer. Illinois is only muzzleloader or shotgun, no rifle and Virginia has extra and longer seasons for muzzleloading

Eric

Makes good sense to me. The 50 cal thing probably got stuck in my mind because ADF&G is using 50 cals in their ML class.

You can still use a scope for that muzzleloader during the general season.

Default Scope

Yeah I know that and was wondering if anyone knew about a setup for ths scope that is easy to take on and off for the different seasons and areas that I will be using

The biggest problem in taking a scope on and off is the bases. They'll be too high and get in the way of the sights unless you put on taller sights. I prefer to simply use Weaver bases and rings, then remove the bases for the duration once the regular season gives way to the primitive weapon season.

Default sounds reasonable

that is what I had planned.

I don't know how well the bases work on an Apex, but my buddy uses the Leupold Quick Release (QR) rings and base on his Omega and loves it. He says he can remove the scope with the quick release tabs and it'll be zeroed when he installs it again. Makes it handy for cleaning the gun as well as they back end of the scope is not in the way around the breach area. Just something to consider.

Default I just seen that deal myself and came here

for answeres. I have never even shot a muzzleloader but that price seems good. Then plus another $20 off if you spend $150 or more plus if you sign up for a credit card you get another $20 off. Not sure if they will allow both deals at once but worth a shot. My card expires next month so I might try it. Getting a rifle from $400+ for a possible $149 is kinda hard to pass up. Plus if I get certified just another hunt possibility. Any problems with this set up. I like that it is camo and stainless. Would be a complete newbe here.

Default got it today

It arrived today and I like it. My wife was home when it arrived and hid it, and put it under the tree. Cannot wait to get out and shoot it.

Eric

Have a ball! Don't rush anything, and it should go well. What kinds of loads are you going to shoot first?