Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunting 2008

Default Moose Hunting 2008

Iím looking for an area to hunt moose in 2008, with a good number of trophy bulls. Recommendations or ideas appreciated.

Currently considering the Selawik area just outside kotzebue. Any recommendations on transports for this area would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim - alaska View Post
    Iím looking for an area to hunt moose in 2008, with a good number of trophy bulls. Recommendations or ideas appreciated.

Currently considering the Selawik area just outside kotzebue. Any recommendations on transports for this area would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Jim
    Yea let me know as well I think i will give this moose thing a try also. just pm me all of the best spots

Let me know where the trophy bulls are too...I Can't put in for DM920 again.....CK

Default Earth too.........

Also let me know exactly where to glass from and if I should call or not

If you want I can mail you 1:5000 maps and you could put the exact glassing points and .....

Even better ........ if you have some kind of incriminating photgraphs of a transporter in the area where he would give me free or substantially discounted flights into/out of the area that would be GREAT.......

or best yet maybe a registered guide who we could talk into doing me a freebie???

ok.........let me know

Default AKCheese!

You need to edit your post! Haven't you heard that guides are the enemy! If you aren't successful this year you blame the guides. You must not have gotten the memo. Better read the rest of the threads, man.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Guides aren't always the reason residents aren't successful AK-HUNT, they are just one of the main reasons many species have seen such rapid and profound decline in numbers over the years. You see, greed drives many, but not all, guides to make as much $$ as possible- often at the expense of a given species in a certain area. They then move on and claim another area, to continue to profit off of it-and often become very territorial.

Us lowly residents just hunt for the pure enjoyment and appreciation of it, as well as to fill our freezers to feed our families because we choose to not fill our children with pesticide and steroid infested meat. We never have to worry about what to do with all that meat as many guided hunters do because the meat is the reason we hunt- not to have an animal on the wall that we can brag about around the water cooler in some metropolitan city in the lower 48.

Do I rant, absolutely. Do I rant because I have seen first hand what guides have done to many areas of this great state...absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post

Us lowly residents just hunt for the pure enjoyment and appreciation of it, as well as to fill our freezers to feed our families because we choose to not fill our children with pesticide and steroid infested meat. We never have to worry about what to do with all that meat as many guided hunters do because the meat is the reason we hunt- not to have an animal on the wall that we can brag about around the water cooler in some metropolitan city in the lower 48.
    So sockeye, is that you in the avatar pic? You left the horns and hide/cape in the field, right? You only hunted for the experience and the meat, right? You only brought out the meat, right? The head didn't end up as a mount, right?
    Just curious!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    Originally Posted by jim - alaska

Thanks,

Jim
    Yea let me know as well I think i will give this moose thing a try also. just pm me all of the best spots
    Here you guys go:

62į 11.07'N, 148į 21.07'W

Just hang out there with your binocs and spotting scope at the ready. Before a week is out you'll have caribou, moose, and brown bear pass within sight, and sheep are in the area, too.

Hey, that's the west side of Nowhere! LMAO
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Mark

No, it's not. It's in the pass between the Talkeetna and Chickaloon Rivers.

Default There is a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    So sockeye, is that you in the avatar pic? You left the horns and hide/cape in the field, right? You only hunted for the experience and the meat, right? You only brought out the meat, right? The head didn't end up as a mount, right?
    Just curious!
    There is a difference between hunting for meat and happening to get a trophy and hunting for a trophy and happening to get meat. In my case, when I go hunting, I will take the biggest thing I can get. If I can get a trophy, great, but getting meat is the first priority.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is a difference between hunting for meat and happening to get a trophy and hunting for a trophy and happening to get meat........
    And what is supposed to be significant about that difference?

Default Lat and Long

It must be up near *** Eater Ridge or just below Ball crusher falls! Went there once!
    Last edited by Brian M; 12-11-2007 at 13:48. Reason: language

Default greed

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Guides aren't always the reason residents aren't successful AK-HUNT, they are just one of the main reasons many species have seen such rapid and profound decline in numbers over the years. You see, greed drives many, but not all, guides to make as much $$ as possible- often at the expense of a given species in a certain area. They then move on and claim another area, to continue to profit off of it-and often become very territorial.

Do I rant, absolutely. Do I rant because I have seen first hand what guides have done to many areas of this great state...absolutely.
    You make a pretty general (and honestly offensive) statement about guides. Maybe you should look at the big picture.

Here's a short list of humans who impact the game populations:

Guides
    Non-resident hunters
    Resident hunters

You're pointing fingers when you are part of the problem too. Everyone who hunts here is part of the problem. When are you going to realize that?

You have no idea how hard it is to make a living guiding. Do you know any guides or ever talk to any guides?

Default Plundering guides??

So guides who assist hunters in harvesting the largest antlered or horned males of the species somehow plunder that game population to an unhuntable level and then move on???

Wow that just doesn't jive with my (albeit meager) biology knowledge.

Exactly where has this occured (in recent times, by legal operators)?

Could you perhaps cite some specifics???

That has got to be the most absurd unsubstantiated rant I have read in a long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    No, it's not. It's in the pass between the Talkeetna and Chickaloon Rivers.
    ...at the west end of Nowhere Creek!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder View Post
    ....That has got to be the most absurd unsubstantiated rant I have read in a long time!!
    Worse, it assumes that you and I are stupid enough to buy into it.

People who hunt every year without a selective harvest target are the ones who deplete the resource. Most non-resident, guided moose hunters come up here and hunt moose once or twice in their lifetimes. Residents commonly take many various moose over their hunting lives here.

Of course, many residents will claim that they're "entitled" to do so, but I'm not much for entitlements. We've heard the same bleating from the subsistence community. It's always "the other guy" who is less ethical/deserving/entitled/blah-blah-blah.

Some things never change........

Default Ya think?!?!?!

Mark do You mean the guys who say "there's not enough moose (because I can't find one to shoot)"

Meanwhile my guided hunter takes a 60+ in the same GMU

Maybe it has something to do with spending the money to get off the beaten path.

Maybe it has something to do with being up before light and out til dark hunting correctly day after day after day until we are successful.....

Just a couple of ideas there *lol*

Mark

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another attack on "the competition" from the "entitled" side.

Holy hijacked post and it aint even that late in the winter. Northwest I would think you could probably help this guy out with his question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast