Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canadian jet boats

Default canadian jet boats

I was board and was searching you-tube and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yT683ZL9k&feature=user (and several others) which leads me to the question why do the canadians or for that matter the new zelanders build boats that are so much tougher than ours. I think that one could argu that the best shallow water jet boats in alaska are the sport jon and jet craft. After seeing this video I think that they would not stand a chance on this river. I belive the boat is at www.firefish.ca Anybody know if we can get these here in alaska?

Takes a bit of paperwork but you can get one shipped in. If you want to buy local Jetcraft makes a 1775 Extreme Duty that is similar to the Firefish boats and it can be purchased in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Problem with these type of boats is they don't have much room for cargo.

http://www.jetcraftboats.com/our_boa...775_Xduty.html

What makes you necessarily think that that boat wasn't all dented to pieces after that ride? Physics mandates that with that force applied to rocks something is going to give. I have an older Almar that has a much tougher bottom than the Sport John and I can guarantee you that after a few rides like that you would see deep scratches in the bottom of the aluminum hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    What makes you necessarily think that that boat wasn't all dented to pieces after that ride?
    1" UHMW does not dent.

They are running UHMW and steel bottoms not aluminum that makes a big difference and yes I am sure they get some dents here and there and scratches but the bottoms do not fail like the Sport Johns do.

i have a canadian jet boat and they are very tuff, mine is an awesome little boat 13 footer with 175 merc. sport jet. heavy boat and a real preformer. 1-1/8 inch UHMW (13" layered 5/8 strip over keel) on top of 1/2 " on rest of bottom. 3/8 " aluminum in center on bottom and 1/4" on sides of bottom and 7 stringers for support of bottom (custom alum. I beams length wise) i have hit stuff that would have severely dented if not sliced open bottom of sport jon or the like with no damage.
    Riddle Marine in Idaho will make you one. or buy mine and i will get one from Riddle Marine so i can get big game transporter lic to haul hunters in
    i have no assocation with Riddle Marine.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default more metal

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    What makes you necessarily think that that boat wasn't all dented to pieces after that ride? Physics mandates that with that force applied to rocks something is going to give. I have an older Almar that has a much tougher bottom than the Sport John and I can guarantee you that after a few rides like that you would see deep scratches in the bottom of the aluminum hull.
    I have looked at the firefish web sight and the jetcraft web sight there is a huge difference in the amount of aluminum stringers (support) installed in the bottom of the boat. I also saw on another video of this guys boat the bottom and it showed very few dents. It is also covers in plastic so there are no scratches in the aluminum. If it didnt have plastic he would have come to a screechin halt when he hit those boulders.

Here is another Canadian company you might want to look at. http://www.outlaweagle.com/

Gotta love those Canadian boats EH. Yes those guys know how to build a tuff tuff boat
    Merry Christmas to all
    Eric

mine was made by an associate of outlaw marine in grande prarie, alb
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-10-2007 at 21:41. Reason: picture added
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default Looks like a tuff boat....

But with only 13'....and nearly half of that is motor, the other half is the console, fuel cell, and equipment. It looks as if you was to scratch your ***** you would fall over board!

short length makes it more manuverable, in the right hands this boat will get places few other jet boats will....i'm still learning but it makes me look good. it is 6' wide and rated for 1600lbs so it will carry a load. i've launched passengers with turns but none have got wet by going overboard,.........yet

Default AK Nimrod

If you sold your boat what would it be worth?

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    I was board and was searching you-tube and found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2yT683ZL9k&feature=user (and several others) which leads me to the question why do the canadians or for that matter the new zelanders build boats that are so much tougher than ours. I think that one could argu that the best shallow water jet boats in alaska are the sport jon and jet craft. After seeing this video I think that they would not stand a chance on this river. I belive the boat is at www.firefish.ca Anybody know if we can get these here in alaska?
    You can buy the firefish factory direct if you choose, they are a great boat from what I've read from happy owners.

I wouldn't argue any about your statement on sport jon and jetcrafts being the best shallow water boats in alaska, but would offer to let you come on out and try your hand to one of our Riddle RM-X's if you care. I used to think like you, that it was an embarrassment that the guys from NZ and Canada made the only tough, shallow water boats out there.... then I discovered the brother of a fellow I used to work for up on the slope (who had originally founded Weldcraft boat company) when I explained to Doug Riddle the terrible time I was having destroying boat after boat, he came up and checked out our operations. Then he built us this boat (and several others now) and we've not had any problems since. And they do run really shallow!

I highly recommend his boats. Furthermore, he's been coming back to Alaska every spring now for the past 3 years so it's pretty obvious to me he cares about meeting Alaskan needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    1" UHMW does not dent.
    I've dented the crap out of it....

3/16" T-1 Steel armouring on a 3/8" aluminum bottom with heavey bracing... I haven't been able to dent though....

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    short length makes it more manuverable, in the right hands this boat will get places few other jet boats will....i'm still learning but it makes me look good. it is 6' wide and rated for 1600lbs so it will carry a load. i've launched passengers with turns but none have got wet by going overboard,.........yet
    I've been on the river with Nimrod and his boat... it's an incredible performer!

I see Chris beat me to the post haha

Im the marketing manager here at Outlaw Eagle and would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have about our boat models etc.

I think the fundamanetal difference in boats built is dependant on intended use and local surroundings. Outlaws have always been known to be tough but they have always been built for shallow water and back country useage. We find there to be a vast difference in waters here in Alberta/BC/NWT as compared to what most US/Idaho/Oregon builders encounter. Not to say they are all built the same but bigger water/rapids common in Idaho dont warrant the same construction that shallow waters do.

All our boats have heavy bottoms, full length stringers etc and they are built with hitting bottom in mind. To us 3/16" just doesnt cut it in most back country situations and simply will not last, even well braced. We like the fact used Outlaw's seem to hold their value and are scarce on the marketplace, we think that says alot

Our toughest boat, the Lynx, has a 1/2" keel, 3/8" wings and 1/4" bow AND comes with full UHMW and chine extrusions as standard. If you're damaging a Lynx you may need to find a new hobby

You need to do your homework when buying a boat and really pay attention to where the strength is put in a boat. No one wants to carry excess weight so it better be worthwhile.

With that said we felt there was a market we were not hitting with our model line and have just introduced our own sport jon type boat called the Eagle Expedition. I will post pictures and specs as soon as I have them the 2nd prototype is just being released from rigging now. I think you will find it is the toughest boat on the market of this type hands down.

We do not currently have an authorized dealer in Alaska altho we would like one. In the meantime we can and would certainly not hesitate to sell a boat to anyone who was interested and we have the ability to make that happen. Chris is certainly more than familiar with our products and can hopefully offer some local insight as to what OEM is all about.

As far as the video goes I can honestly say I doubt those boats were suffering from any signifigant damage after what was depicted. We build for that stuff and we've done worse! lol (I've been boating numerous times with Darryn who posted that video and trust me his boat is fine lol)

Hope this helps

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    mine was made by an associate of outlaw marine in grande prarie, alb
    AK that looks very much like a shortened version of our Tomcat model. Currently avail in 16 or 18 feet lengths its a tough little boat which will pretty much run in a wet gravel parking lot lol

The Tomcat has a 3/8" center, 1/4 wings and 3/16" bow section and is more often than not optioned with a min of 48" UHMW (and often full width) 7 full length stringer system with 2 extruded "T" stringers and the rest 1/4" on edge

This type of boat is absolutely on a totally different level than a Sport Jon type boat. (are the standard sportjons not 1/8 bottom boats?)

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Hey, there you are James! I was just about to get around to your boat next! Anyone wants to check out and put my Outlaw (the white one) through the paces, feel free to PM me... It runs way shallow, pretty quick (looks REALLY quick!) and is bomber.... (Steel armored keel again!)

James is very right about the style of build for the most part in the lower 48... very few of them have spent any extensive time in either Canada or NZ both of which have much more similar waters to what we encounter here in AK... And, at the same time, many guys seem to think those little 1/8" bottoms will perform well enough for us here in AK and I've found that to be very saddly, untrue... but I'm told I'm pretty hard on a regular boat...

Smile Some "Entry Level" rocks for a Steel Armored Keel

Thought you might like this view of some rocks like we routinely bounce over with no marks or damage with these steel armored keel boats:

Also, heres a custom "hybrid" boat a buddy had built last summer specifically for the dual purpose of the Idaho similar Talkeetna canyon whitewater, and the Alaskan shallows as shown in those 20 mile videos posted recently. First a still photo of him right near the logjam where TJM turned around:

Then a link to a videe of him last week when we went exploring in the boat up through the biggest rapids in Idaho's Hells Canyon... kind of neat to have a friend who ships a boat like this south so you can play during the winter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast