Thread: little delta river

Default little delta river

can a guy launch a boat over there by delta and run up the little delta river?
    does anybody know for sure if the river has frozen over? also is that military land as well?

Default old intel

I flew over there 2 weeks ago and you couldn't run a boat anywhere north of the AK range safely. Most is military land but you can still get access if you jump through the right hoops. Check into it with Eielson game bios. Remember: All military land is not created equal. There are places you can't ever go in. There are places you need to call first and have everything OK'd and stuff registered. There are places you have free run of if you just set through a 30 min briefing.

Default its froze!

nm...............

Preed I am heading to the REX trail tentativly on the 27th. I have mapped it and it is almost 29 miles to get to zone 4. I have no idea how the trail is but my plan right now is to take my mountain sled and haul butt in starting before light. Be glassing shortly after after dawn. Currently my rig is full with my cousin and I and our sleds. I wouldn't mind another addition as two trucks/trailers etc. would be safer. I would prefer another pair so we could go in together and hunt in groups of two. Then meet up and ride back out before dark. That is unless someone has a wall tent in which case the whole thing gets easier. At the moment I am praying for snow!

Default Rex

To Lujon
    I wouldn't mind going in with you guys. I'm one guy and have hunted alone quite a bit. Maybe someone will reply back. I have a smaller tent with a tent heater. My sled is 700 RMK, and have a two place trailer. I've been down the REX, but not that far.
    Riverlover

LuJon: With less than 4 hours of sunlite, you won't have much time to hunt if you plan to go in and out on the same day. My Arctic Cat says it's 27 miles to the second river. That's where I always start hunting. You really need to camp out so you can spend some time in the hunting area. But it's going to start getting cold now, the temps are supposed to go down the -25 or colder this week. So be aware of the cold temps and prepare accordingly. Still have not had much snow this week, only about one inch. The trail was melting the last time I was down there Thanksgiving day, with little snow left, mostly ice. Supposed to snow later this week, possiably, we could sure use it.

isnt there a lodge out there? somewhere i heard of a lodge out there, maybe staying there is an option.

Don Keels, the miner at Gold King did keep people there in his bunk house the last few years. Great location, close to the game, actually in the area most people want to hunt. BUT, I have heard Don has a problem with DNR about renting rooms, can't confirm it since I did not get to talk to him the last time I was at Gold King. Have heard he no longer lets people stay there, as I said I can't confirm that just that I had heard it. Therefore I would not go out there planning to stay there. There was a B&B at the Gold King airstrip, but those folks got tired of being ripped off by people that came and stayed, wrote them a check to pay for their lodging, then the check bounced. They are not doing that anymore. Rochestors, at the highway is lodging folks I heard, don't know their rates.

I agree with graybeard. There are a lot of folks that seem to "road hunt" the trail as they go in and out every day, but it would be a lot better to camp back there. We talked with Don a few years ago about staying in one of his places up the valley and sort of got the impression he wasn't interested. As it turned out he was away when we went in that winter anyway. The folks at Rochester are great and we always eat and stay there at the beginning and end, but camping out would be so much better. Isn't there anywhere to borrow or rent an arctic oven?

I wonder why DNR would stick their nose into renting rooms or cabins? I would think that's someone else's department.

thanx guys, for you input

Definitely could use some SNOW. Any reports on whether this little storm we had here dropped anything on the interior? I have 15 days till I am heading up, sure would help to get about 3-4+ feet! I am working on getting a cabin tent w/ a stove but nothing concrete yet...

If it works out with snow and riverlover still has room on his trailer i would be in on going along. I cant shoot a moose but i would be more than happy to help one of you guys. I have a 03 RMK 800.

Default Hunt

I've got trailer space. Live in the Valley.

See my post http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....t=21881&page=2 I have off from the 28th to the 2nd hoping to be back to ring in the new year but moose is more important. I have what is needed to get camp in and out so if some need to leave earlier that is fine.