Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mokai

Default Mokai

Does anyone have any experiance with a http://www.mokai.com/? Cool concept but it doesn't look like much of a freighter. That propulsion system on an Oldtown Predator maybe?

Default Skiak lake saturday

I was up at lower Skilak Saturday and two fellows from anchorage had a couple of these MOKAI boats. The guys that have them just love them. They go fast enough, infact they said they had no desire to go any faster. It was either 14 or 18 mph, I can't remember. These guys fly fish out of them. They like the room of the cockpit, the ease of starting the motor, the fact that you can just pull the motor out if you want the space so you can paddle the boat and put your gear back in the engine compartment. I guess you would not want to put an entire moose in one , but a few trips and you would have him out. I watched them head out to the Kenai river From the lower boat launch, and in just a few minutes they covered that first mile and were gone. The Cost of around $3,500.00 each and the shipping make them end up at about $4,000.00 he said, but He figured he would use these and enjoy them enough to validate the purchase.
    The fellows offered for me to take a ride, but I declined,,,I wish I would have taken a lap so I could report on the actual feel of the ride vs the second hand story.
    Max

Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 07-18-2006 at 23:47.

Default Mokai

Don't quote me on this, but it seems to me that Tracey Harmon at Alaska Raft and Kayak (a mokai dealer) said that he would have one this summer for "test runs" in order to assist in education potential buyers. He said they would allow people to take it to a local lake and try it out.

Check it out and reply..

Default Ride

I own 3 and live in Palmer contact me when you are in the area I will take you out to play and jump logs. I just wish that breakup took a little longer these things run over the top of the rotten ice way too much fun.

Default 1 for sale

Don't know if he still has it, but here is one in the swap n sell forum

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=mokai
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Talking Mokai for sale

Given the call sign Varvs, I think he might have one or two around. Jeff is probably the expert to ask about them as well.
    Dave

Talking Mokais

Jeff calls Andy when his gives him problems.

Default Want to try one out

Contact me if you want to try one out, I live in the Valley.

Default Mokai

I was in the Anchorage area last week and met with Andy, who graciously met me at a valley lake and let me run his Mokai around. In my opinion, the boats are well designed and built. I would think they would perform well within the design parameters and should provide many hours of pleasureable on-water travel. I'll be putting a Mokai (or two) in my boat collection soon! Thanks Andy! Mike

Question Question?

Do you think one of those things would perform well on the North Slope rivers? Do you think they would be fast enough to beat the current? How much weight can it carry besides the driver? Just curious as to if it would be a neat efficient way to get up the Sag, Ivishak, or any of the little rivers up there for Bow Hunting Caribou is all...... Thanks in advance for any info!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

how deep do they draft ,and whats the shallowest water they can go in

They draft about 4 inches but will run through less for short bursts. Coast Guard rated for 360 lbs. I have had mine in 9 mile an hour currents and made steady head way not fast but still going I know of an Ivashak trip in them that went well. I see no problem in northern rivers. If you contact me when you are in Anchorage or Palmer I will let you take mine out for a ride. I will be playing on the ice soon they will break ice about 3 inches thick , the spring ice is more fun it runs on top of the rotten ice like no other boat. There are some in Fairbanks and one in North Pole. I got stuck on the mud flats on the Knik the water under me was maybe 2 inches when I struck bottom, then when I tried to start the motor it would suck down to the mud and not draw water to pump so I put 2 funoodles under the boat and moved my wieght over them to keep the pump off the bottom and turned around to get my self out of the shallows.

I had intentions of meeting up with Andy to see how these things run but haven't made the time to do it. I have been trying to figure out where all I could/would use them. My latest thought was to take a small inflatable up the river with you, put meat in it (if fortunate) and then tow it down with the mokai. Does this sound doable or to much?

The one man cat raft, pontoon raft works well you can tie it so that the jet pumps out under the seat and use it as a trailer. I have also towed an extra Mokai with me and used it as storage. 745-Amen (2636) I live on the Palmer-Wasilla highway.

Default towing boats

Something we all need to think about is how dangerous this can be. Its not so bad on a lake where you can stop if things get funky, but moving water is anouther thing.
    In 1969 My family was floating the Green river from Flaming gorge to Browns hole in Avon rafts. A group of Boy Scouts was doing the same trip, but continuing down the green all the way to The I-70 highway.
    The scout master had little experience with rafting and decided that a good way to keep all his souts in check, was to tie the rafts together.
    well 5 scouts and one adult drown due to fliping rafts in rapids as they were tied together.
    I have seen a canoe get towed by a motor boat sink withing about 20 seconds.
    When you attach something to your boat, make sure you can get ride of it in a hurry or it may became an anchor.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default mokai is the best

I bought two mokais in febuary of 06. I had many hours of use this summer and have gone were absolutly no other boat woud have dreamed of. I have been up clear creek off the talkeetna, up the talkeetna to clear creek, 5 hrs up the kashwitna, and on a few sections of montana creek, little su, and sheep creek. In august I took them out silver fishing out of valdez. in appx 3 ft waves. You get very wet but no water gets into the boat with the spray skirt on. In september we took them up the east fork of the chena all the way to toechet creek and had the highest camp on the river (even above the air boats). I had a weighed amount of 350 lbs in mine (that is definetly the limit for moving water) top speed was 5mph. With myself 220lbs and day fishing gear it takes me 1hr from the talkeetna public launch to clear creek. (the jet boats laugh until you pass them at the mouth of clear creek and keep on going.) I have had just a few problems wich were cheap to fix and I recieved alot of help from the factory and the AKMOKAIMAN. The only negative is the intake grate gets plugged by small debris like leaves or sea weed. As long as you think of them as a kayak and not a jet boat you will be very impressed.

Slow reflection I found that if you carry a cotter pin extractor it works better that anything to clean out the grate. Two poles with a rope between works to clear some of the grasses. It is why the big jet boats have stomp grates I have been talking with Ben from Silver Streak about a stomp grate for us we will see what happens.
    Did you see the thread about getting a bunch of Mokais out for some fun? What do you think? I will be at the boat show this week and the Sportsman show in March stop by and see me if you get a chance.

Cheers

Default grate cleaner

thanks AKMOKAIMAN for the rope tip I will try that next year. I would love to get together with other mokai owners. I live in fairbanks but if you post a date I will see what I can do.

Default halibut in mokai

Hey you mokai'ers, have any of you gone halibut fishing from these boats? Are they stable enough to handle some waves? I was thinking of maybe taking one out into the chicken yard in Homer, or across the bay there to the islands, and catching some halibut with them over there. And how about using them to catch kings on the Kenai? Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. I was thinking of getting a Hobie pedal kayak for a while, but these are starting to sway my thoughts.
    Thanks!
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Ripface,

Haven't done the Butt yet.

Kings no problem you do get a ride Pike too.

If you have the spray skirt and rain jacket waves are no problem I wear smimming goggles to keep the salt spray out of the eyes.

There are some in Anchor point and across from Homer they drove them across from the spit.

Contact me I will get you in one when you are up to Anchorage or when I head down to your parts.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast