Thread: arctic cat trouble

Default arctic cat trouble

i recently bought an arctic cat zrt 600. its a 96 with only 1300 miles on it. i had it started and running to day for a short buit nad when i wnet to start it later it wouldnt start, what can i do to get it going again?

How long was it running before you couldn't start it again?? Check the basics (fuel, spark, etc.)

Wife's 96 couger did this as well, in our case I just swapped the plugs and it fired first pull.

As noted, Change Plugs, fill up the tank and add "Heat", if it still won't run, pull the plugs and give it a shot of starting fluid in each cyn. if it fires after that and runs for short bit, then you know your getting spark.

Change the fuel filter and try again. If still no go, change out the jets.

quick question (sorry to hijack) - I grabbed a couple bottles of heat and on the back it says not to use in 2 cycle gas engines - use iso-heat instead.

I've always used iso-heat in EFI vehicles, but never heard of the two stroke issue.

Anyone know about this?

(as to the original post - good advice given already. You need to at diagnose it down to which of the three essentials - fuel, spark, compression - you might be missing. Carb problems are likely because the thing has low mileage which means it probably sat around a lot)

The yellow bottle heet is hard on the fuel pump diaphragm in small engines. The iso-heet is for these applications, but doesn't work near as well on water and ice as the regular heet.

Don't use the yellow heet in 2 strokes. It will mess with the ability of the oil to provide proper lubrication. That creates excess friction and can damage the motor. The red bottle will work, but use sparingly and only for specific water-related problems. Don't use it just because it is there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

ok - thanks, glad I asked here since heet was being prescribed. Cheers

Default Don't know the whole situation, but

If it's been outside the carbs get frost inside them from sitting and usually won't hinder the first cold start. Once it runs a while the frost melts and if you don't run it long these water droplets freeze and no fuel gets through the jets. Usually just getting it inside and warmed up will get you going. If you can't bring it in, unscrew the tops of the carbs and use a hair dryer to heat and dry the carb and slides. (be careful with heat around fuel)

Default update please

did you get it fixed?

starting fluid will start it but it well blow the top end if done to many times

Might be fouled plugs. Swap out the plugs and try it again. Doesn't take much to foul plugs. I've had this problem with older machines when you start them and shut them down without riding.