Thread: Unit 13/16 Sheep Hunting

Default Unit 13/16 Sheep Hunting

I have a couple of questions if people will answer them, I have been in Alaska for about three years but have only been able to hunt moose a couple of times due to deployments. I am trying to plan a sheep hunt this coming year and am looking for information on unit 13 and 16 regarding that. I am looking at hiking in if possible. I am not looking for charity or someones "honey hole" I am only looking for general knowledge of the area. Are either of the units worth hunting (I missed the draw so I am limited to harvest areas) Are there good areas that it is possible to hike into? I plan to start scouting as soon as I can this spring/summer, so I am trying to narrow it down to one unit and possibly sub unit if I can. Any information that you would be willing to share will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bo

I wouldn't waste any time on Unit 16 and it is not really walk in accessible. Many of the best areas of Unit 13 are now available only by drawing permit. I would consider the Tonsina CUA for a Unit 13 walk in hunt.

Hey Bo, I'm out of Eielson, and I hunted Tonsina Walk in area for goats, very easy access if you are willing to walk, this is no secret and I'm sure everyone knows about this area. You take the Edgerton HWY South towards Chitina and about 5 miles before Chitina you can park at Liberty falls State rec Area and hike the draw you will see other huntersparked there, or better yet go down towards the Chitina air strip, and park near the clinic, just let them know inside, they were cooperative, its native property but if you talk to them, they are cool about it. Park there then walk out to the Hwy and you will see a sign for Forty mile creek , hi9ke up the dirt road but stay on the road because its goes through native property for a good 4 miles, then you see the sign for state land once you get in , it is uphill all the way took me 5 hours. I saw only one goat, with hair as short as mine ( don't know why they have that goat draw that early, I should've known) But there are sheep, I saw a ton of ewes and lambs however I did not see any rams, But I know they are there, but our quarry was for goats, you will be hunting around 4000-6000 ft. anyway if you need more info. PM me....CK

Thanks for the help. I will definitely look into it.