Thread: Oil changes

Default Oil changes

Just bought a Brand New 700 Grizzly and I've put 40 miles on it so far, and was wondering how often do you change the oil in your wheeler? Do you go by certain months or do you go by miles on the wheeler, and if so how many? Also, do you use the oil recommended by the dealer for ATV's or do you use regular, 10W30 oil? Thanks for all the help!!

I like to change the oil at least once a year. I stay with the recommended 0w-40 but I use it to plow and do yard work during the winter also. If I go over the 100 hour mark within a year I'll change it at that time too. Some wheelers will build water in the oil depending on how they are used and the design of the oil system. It's rare but I've seen it happen.

My Rubicon has an "oil change" notice that pops up on the digital display. It is hour based at 100 hours, which for me averages out to 800 miles. I generally run 5-30 all year. As to filters, now thats another thing! You can buy the exact same filters for almost any atv out there for about 30% of the dealer cost if you go to Schucks Auto.

From a dealer, a filter is around $10-12. Plus you may, need the cover o-ring also, which is about $4. From Schucks, the filter comes with the o-ring and the whole thing is around $5.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

With brand new ATV's I run the hell out of them (totaly ignoring the manufactures advice) with varying throttle position, including full throttle bursts for 5 to 6 secconds at a time, every few minutes for the first couple of rides and try to put on at least 20 miles on the first run (Eklutna lake trail works good for this) and then I do an oil and filter change. I will then ride normaly with occasional full throttle application for another 50 to 100 miles and change the oil and filter a seccond time as well as front and rear diff fluid. From then on, I change oil and filter every 300 miles or so and front and rear diff fluid once a year. I run regular brand name oil and Fram filters when I can find them, and dont bother with synthetic as I change oil so frequently I dont think there would be any bennifit for the additional cost. I do mine so frequently because it is cheap and easy to do, and the ATV does get exposed to a lot of water, dirt etc.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    Just bought a Brand New 700 Grizzly and I've put 40 miles on it so far, and was wondering how often do you change the oil in your wheeler? Do you go by certain months or do you go by miles on the wheeler, and if so how many? Also, do you use the oil recommended by the dealer for ATV's or do you use regular, 10W30 oil? Thanks for all the help!!
    I plow with my ATV and have found that changing the oil every winter when I hook up the plow and changing the oil again when taking the plow off seems to work great. I have done this for several years with all my ATVs and the service techs at the dealer say my motors always look good on the inside. If you go over 100 hrs, I would change it out as well. Stick with the recommended grade oil for your ATV. You can change oil brands if you want. I change all my ATVs over Amsoil. It works great and looks like new when changed out. I stay away from Pensoil because it causes wax buildup inside your motor. Good luck
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Just make sure you use the right oil. That Griz has a wet clutch. The yammy oil is pretty spendy. I use Valvoline ATV/Motorcyle oil.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Amsoil makes a fully synthetic oil for wet clutch applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    With brand new ATV's I run the hell out of them (totaly ignoring the manufactures advice) with varying throttle position, including full throttle bursts for 5 to 6 secconds at a time, every few minutes for the first couple of rides and try to put on at least 20 miles on the first run (Eklutna lake trail works good for this) and then I do an oil and filter change. I will then ride normaly with occasional full throttle application for another 50 to 100 miles and change the oil and filter a seccond time as well as front and rear diff fluid. From then on, I change oil and filter every 300 miles or so and front and rear diff fluid once a year. I run regular brand name oil and Fram filters when I can find them, and dont bother with synthetic as I change oil so frequently I dont think there would be any bennifit for the additional cost. I do mine so frequently because it is cheap and easy to do, and the ATV does get exposed to a lot of water, dirt etc.
    About the same way how I do things. The first time I took out my new Outlander 800, I was trying to get to my bait site last spring and was probably in 4 low probably 90% of the time that day, pulling a meat wagon plus a passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Just make sure you use the right oil. That Griz has a wet clutch. The yammy oil is pretty spendy. I use Valvoline ATV/Motorcyle oil.
    You can use any oil that doesn't have energy conserving additives. I have a kodiak 400 auto and I started running Castrol in it... I think its their diesel oil but it doesn't specify. It does not have the energy conserving starburst on the bottle... if it does have it, you can't use that oil.

I usually change mine twice a year... but basically check the oil level and see how the color is. Mine in the kodiak nearly always stays pretty golden. Now my old bayou is another story, that thing turns the oil purty dark... but twice a year works for me.

Thumbs up Oil Change

Depends how much you ride it

once it the Spring and once in the Fall before you put it up for the winter.

Dealer oil to pricy........use Shell Rotella 15W-40 made for Diesel motors does not have the additives

Change Filter also
    Alaska