Thread: recurve?

Default recurve?

Shot a recurve at sportsmans the other day. Price is right at 269 or so. Think it was 55 pounds and was pretty easy to shoot.

I shot it through the chrony and got a 410 grain arrow at 185 fps.

Does this speed seem right for a recurve?

I would hate to get a dud just to save a buck.

Decent speed....maybe a bit on the low end, but respectable. Could be better after finding the right arrow and getting it tuned properly. It is also possible that you may not be drawing a full 28". With a compound, I drew 29.5" and I draw right at 28" with a stick bow. Say for instance, you are only drawing 27", then you would probably only getting 52-53#. If the arrow is not tuned to the bow, improper arrow flight can also be robbing some of the speed. My present longbow is 54#@28" and I am shooting a 600 grain arrow and I amd shooting right at 182 fps. With all of this being said, the most important thing is if the bow is comfortable to shoot. If it feels good, you can always spend some time with this bow and make sure that you want to shoot a stickbow. Better to do that and move into a custom bow later on than to drop more money into a custom and find out you don't really care for it. If the bow had little or no handshock and felt comfortable, get some matched arrow for it and have fun! Be sure that you check your actual draw lenght and get the right spine arrow for whatever weight your bow is actually pulling at your draw. Also, don't get too concerned woth the speed to start out with. Alot of my friends shoot osage and hickory selfbows that shoot a heavy hunting arrow on the 150 fps range and they kill alot of game!Good luck and have fun.....stickbows can be adictive! Mike

RMiller Was it the coyote or the kudu? Both made by PSE the coyote is a all composit take down bow. I didn't like the coyote noisy didn't fit my hand right and ugly to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    RMiller Was it the coyote or the kudu? Both made by PSE the coyote is a all composit take down bow. I didn't like the coyote noisy didn't fit my hand right and ugly to boot!

It was the Kudu I believe. I shot the Coyote once and shot the wood one about six times. They only had one arrow with feathers even though it was a carbon shaft. I thought the same thing about the camo bow. I think it would be extremely useful. But then again so is my high country compound.

I am interested in the wood bow for reasons other than what the coyote has to offer.

I had some minor issues with the finish work on the Kudu I shot, some minor machining marks and not nearly as bad as the Impala. But I liked the way it shot and the fact that it could be broken down and thrown in a suit case. I just got back into archery after more than 20 years away from it so I am a total neophyte. But based on shootability feel and finish I decided to spend another $40 and got a one piece laminated wood re-curve called a Volcano. I don't ever remember a re-curve shooting as fast as this bow, it's a fairly short easy to maneuver in brush bow and after only a few days practice my groups are starting to look respectable. BTW bows have changed allot, I'm not a tech guy and I've forgotten allot of the archery knowledge I used to have so I will probably have some dumb questions for awhile sorry.

Default Arrow speed

In the world of compound bows 300 fps and higher is where we start to get excited about arrow speed.

In the world of traditional bows if you can achieve 200 fps with a hunting weight arrow you have a fast bow. But remember most bow manufactures will recommend you shoot arrows that wiegh X number of grains per inch. Shoot anything lighter and you can damage the bow.

Also remember that in traditional bows you get what you pay for. Do not expect to get a bow with little to no hand shock or blistering speed off of the discount rack. If you have the time and search ebay you might be able to find a higher quality used bow in the price range your looking for and would enjoy shooting it a lot more.

The only recurve that I shoot anymore is a Black Widow take down recurve. Don't shoot one unless you have the money to buy one!

sorry but I disagree.

There are very high end recurves on the market without the blackwidow price tag to go with it.

One that comes to mind right off the bat is a Checkmate hunter II takedown. Price wise it's cheaper then most bows on the market.....quality wise, it's every bit as nice as anything you'll pay 2 times for.

I remember jumping into this when widows were 650. What has changed? Other then a cnc system, some wood variations and some tweaking, nothing! They are still noisy and way to over priced.

Take it for what it is......my opinion. And no I'm not a widow hater, they do make a good bow. I did like the LAG, havent shot the new longbow model. And no I dont own one, but a buddy owns three, 2 were on raffles...go figure.

I have a Kudu 55@28. It is not a bad bow for the price but cheaply built but there are better ones out there that are not badly priced as Tradbow said. I also have a Checkmate Hunter II 56@28. Shoots smoother then the Kudu and is of higher quality. Both pop a 535gr arrow in the low 180's for me. The problem that I have with the Kudu is that it starts stacking at 27 1/2 real bad and so spends time on the rack. My problem with the Checkmate is that the grip is too big for me to shoot it comfortably for very long.

Don't be afraid the look at a Bear Grizzly which I also have. It is much nicer then the Kudu but similiarly priced. I have a around 30 bows (both recurve & long bows) in my collection and the grizzly seems to be my main back up most years behind either a another recurve or my long bow.

Default martin

Don't forget martin recurves. They make some that are in the same price range as Bear and PSE. I have an X-200, it is a 60" one piece, and I am extremely happy with it. It is 40lb at 28", and a great bow to learn with. The next one I get will definately be a take down, 60" is a long stick to try and travel with.

Jake

Default archery talk

You also might want to check out the classifieds on Archery Talk. There always seems to be quite a few used traditional bows on there.

Jake

yup the x200 is a good bow, as is the old damon howatt hunters, (you can find one at the footed shaft in rochester MN, Lamont is a good man to do buisness with, if he doesnt have it, lettm know you're looking for it). ANother good site for classifieds is tradgang.com

John

You can get that grip taken down. You can also order it smaller thickness wise. If you dont know what you need/want it makes this a bit harder. Alls ya got to do is ask! Chad (www.recurves.com) or Marc M, the lead bowyer and soon to be owner of CM, is a master at his work, let the boys know what you want and you'll get it!

But I bet you shoot with a closed grip, have you tried opening your grip so it's loose fingers either open or slightly touching? Using a straight grip Asbell style? I believe this is how this bow is designed to be shot, not gripped like most compound converts would think to shoot more heel down style. It'll take a bit to work up the muscles in your forearms, wrist and hands to get used to this style but it's quite effective with a curve.

Tradbow - Yeah I know of both Chad & Marc. But the grip is no longer a problem as the bow is on permenant loan to my SIL. He loves it! I shoot with an open or loose grip. That bow was just tiring for me to haul around and shoot compared to most everything else I have.

In traditional archery speed is not the key to killing game, it is a well tuned bow and total arrow weight.
    The heavier the better!
    Wright equals penetration.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    In traditional archery speed is not the key to killing game, it is a well tuned bow and total arrow weight. AND EXCELLENT SHOT PLACEMENT
    The heavier the better!
    Wright equals penetration.

Good luck!

Fixed it for you
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default 185 fps is good

I have a PSE Black Hawk takedown that has become my go-to bow.
    I have some more expensive bows, but it is my favorite. It fits my hand great, is very quiet, doesn't stack, and shoots where I look.
    I have a Martin Hatfield on the way, we'll see.
    185 is plenty of speed for a recurve. Recurves are so quiet (most)that arrow weight and a sharp broadhead and, of course, shot placement are more important than speed any day.
    I switched back to traditional bows in the last year and have become really excited about shooting again. Shooting my compound just isn't as fun.

ooooo a traditional tarpon nut....we need to talk Do you fly fish your tarpon? If so email me dawn-dan@gci.net It's one of my last dreams to do before death takes hold which isnt for hopefully years to come.