Thread: top speeds and mpg of your ATV

Default top speeds and mpg of your ATV

I haven't seen much talk of the top speeds and miles per gallon of many ATV's. Maybe you guys can talk a little about that. I'm narrowing down what I think I'm going to get, and I'll probably settle on a Honda (Foreman). It seems like you really need two machines to get full satisfaction out of ATV use.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Top speed is definitely not what I based my 4x4 selection on, but my brute 650 blows by friends foreman and hits 72 on flat tar road. about 15 mpg

The Foreman isn't built for speed and comparing a Brute 650 to a 450 Honda is like comparing a Mustang to a VW Beetle. I don't have a need to ride fast but I've had my Foreman up to about 35 though I know it will go a bit faster than that. Speed is an overrated feature in a utility quad, now if you were talking a sport quad, thats another whole different ball game.

The only place I can tell that my 700 Prairie is faster than my 350 Rancher is Jim Creek for just a little ways on the flats. IMO, top speed isn't a factor. Mileage, the Prairie gets out to the KNnik glacier once on a tank and the Rancher will go twice. Power for taller tires and towing dictates a big bore. For 99% of where anyone sane wants to go the Foreman will do just fine.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

For another comparison, my Foreman gets about 60 before going to reserve and my wifes Rancher gets a little over 100 before reserve. The Rancher has excellent throttle response when compared to the Foreman but if you were to ask my wife which one she likes the best, she would tell you the Foreman.

My 95 2 stroke 400cc 6x6 will hit 55mph with the wind blowing the right way going across the bridge at Chitna.. it is quite squirly at higher speeds though, the tank holds 4 gallons and will go 40 miles it gets 10 mpg all the time, empty or towing a huge load, I towed a 4x4 wheeler all the way from Kennicott to Chitna (72 miles) and for the last 20 miles towed a third 4x4 wheeler with someone on it because he broke down too, it got 10 mpg both ways, the only diffrence was, empty it goes faster... towing the two wheelers it would only go 35 mph.

My 700 King Quad will do about 72MPH and I get about 100 miles out of a tank of fuel. Rode in off the Steese and when I returned to the vehicle I had 1 bar on the fuel gage and enough in the tank to go a ways further. Mileage showed 95 miles. It was some serious terrain and a lot of mud.

Mileage is dependent on thumb pressure though!

Default Mine..

A 2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 four stroke. It tops out around 45mph and I'm not sure about mileage. I rode to the Knik glacier and back this summer on one tank (around 48 miles) and still had gas left. With my new tires on it I think it has slowed the top end down a bit, but like Dan said, it's a little bit squirrely at top speed.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

King Quad 700 with 26 in Mudlites all around. Top speed is about 70 and mileage is about 18-20. The gent that can go 100 miles on a tank in his KQ has my up most respect.

Default Kq700

My KQ 700 gets around the same i did the math and came up with 19 with the 27" 589s

I get a top speed of either 89 or 78 depending on which gears I run. For gas milage I get about 70 miles to a tank (14mpg)