Thread: 338 win

Default 338 win

I have a 338wm in win m70. I really like the rifle. I would like to lighten it and have done some things on my own, but are there things I can have a gunsmith do that are not very expensive. If i had a couple " taken off the barrel how much would I lose in vel ?? and how much weight would I lose?

Jim

Not much of either. Maybe 2 ounces at most for shortening the barrrel. If your rifle has a wood stock then I would change it out for a lightweight syn. That will most likely give you the biggest loss for the money.
    Tennessee

Randy knows what he is talking about. J.

I agree with Snowwolfe too. With a .338 a little weight isn't a bad thing, They do have some kick. I have a Browning A-Bolt in .338 WM with a synthetic stock. Currently I have the thickest Pachmayr they make on it and I can last 10-15 shots on the bench with full house 250 grain loads. Next time I think I'll try a Simms LimbSaver, just to see the difference. I try to stay away from ported barrels as much as possible. One they just barely tolerate them at the rifle club I belong too. And second I hate to see anybody I'm hunting with one. If they must, I keep them well in front of me, I can do without my ears ringing for the next two days.

Woody

[quote=Wa Woody;179838] I try to stay away from ported barrels as much as possible.

I'll second that. My ears have been ringing for years. I strongly suspect its from a Ruger 77 30-06 that had been magna ported (bought used that way when I was a poor college student). A sore shoulder feels better in days, hearing loss is cummulative and permanent!

I shoot the 338 in a Ruger 77, it is braked so I can work up reloads. When I get there I will remove the brake, screw on a cap, and check the zero which will probably move, but not allot. Shorting the barrel is not a big loss,say 100fps/1in, that is a guess but close. The shorter barrel will become stiffer to over come the harmonics.
    jim

Default Bansners

A few yars ago I sent my Mod. 70 .338 to Mark Bansners along with a one piece Ted Blackburn trigger guard/drop floor plate assembly and had his High Tech stock put on it. I had the forearm shortened by a couple of inches and length of pull to my specs. The stock weighs 20 ounces. Their work and stock is first class and not cheap. I had a gunsmith cut the barrel to 23 inches and drill a 3/8 hole in the bolt knob. With the Leupold scope it weighs a little under 8 pounds loaded. Other then replacing the barrel with a smaller diamater one and/or going to a light weight synthetic stock their is no quick way to lighten a rifle. Most custom gunsmiths do it by shaving a ounce here and there. Gets expensive. Some synthetic stocks are heavier then the wood they replace. I have heard good things about the new McMillian Edge stock and I think they have one to fit your rifle.

Default 338 Wm

About 35 years ago, I had my 338 WM's barrel cut to 20". After about 12 years of hard hunting I had to replace the stock. I installed an old B&C composit one for the wood one that was cracked. Over the years I have loaded a wide assortment of bullets from Barnes 175's to some 300's. Yes the rifle is not light, 10 lbs+ but it is a pleasure to shoot. It does not have a brake on it nor does it need one. With the 175's I was still able to get over 3000 fps. When I do my part I can still 'clover leaf' three shots at 100 yards.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by jim n iowa View Post
    I shoot the 338 in a Ruger 77, it is braked so I can work up reloads. When I get there I will remove the brake, screw on a cap, and check the zero which will probably move, but not allot. jim
    Jim, Is the most accurate load with the muzzle brake in place also the most accurate load without the brake? I'm not trying to be a smart*** I'm curious. I would like to put together a 358, either a Norma Mag or a 358-375 Ruger (358 Nukalpiaq). At that level of recoil I may consider a removable muzzle brake when working on handloads off the bench.

Woody

Woody I have not checked my reloads to compare the brake on and off yet on the 338 as I am still looking for "the magic combo". I do shoot a 6.5-284 where I broke in with out the brake. Now shooting with the brake on it seems to improve. However this gun should do well at a 100, as it was built to shoot long range for varmints/brake, and 1000yds targets wo the brake. To answer there doesn't seem to be a whole lote of correction needed for hunting with or with out the brake, would depend on the game and range.
    Jim