Thread: Mathews DXT Review

Default Mathews DXT Review

I posted this on another site, but thought there might be some value to sharing it here. I am new to this forum, so time for a test spin.

Well I am in the market for a new bow (my wifes anniversary present to me for 20 years of saying yes dear) and have been out shooting a number of different bows. Since the 2008 Mathews line has come out, I have been searching for some reviews of what people thought after shooting them with not much luck. So I thought I would put down my opinion in case other people are serching for the same information.

I went to the local shop today and shot the DXT against the Drenalin. Both were in a bare bow condition with D loops, WB rests, 29" DL and 70 lbs.

First impression on seeing the bows is that they are well made like I expected. The DXT looked way to small and unforgiving on first sight. Both are light compared to the MQ1 that I now shoot.

They both have a very similar draw cycle and I could not feel a significant difference between the two. The wall was solid on both bows. I also could not tell a difference in the speed of the bows (no chrono). The DXT is just a tad bit quieter to my ear. I am surprised that the hand shock was noticiably less on the DXT than the Drenalin. The Drenalin has almost none, so the DXT really shines there.

The grip on the DXT is different than past Mathews bows. It is a bit narrower and feels better than the past Mathews grips. I liked that quite a bit.

I was very impressed with the DXT. Overall it shoots better than the Drenalin.

The only down side I found with the DXT was the sharp string angle caused by the shorter axle to axle length. I did not like that very much. Made me wonder how I would need to alter my peep sight location and anchor site. I also drew both bows and then let them down. The DXT would walk the arrows more off the string when I did this.

I really wanted a chance to shoot the S2 against both of these two bows, but this dealer did not have one in stock and he said he was not planning to carry them. Guess I will have to go to a differnt place to do this. If any of you have shot these bows, I would like to know what you think.

Overall I think that Mathews has a winner with the DXT if you can work with the sharp string angle. For me, I think I will have to pass. I need a bow with just a bit more axle to axle length.

I just shot the dxt against a similar bowtech today. I liked them both. Mathews was slightly smoother on the draw cycle. Last winter at the 3d shoots I thought most of the bowtechs sounded quieter than most of the mathews. I think I may buy a bowtech.

Default goosepilot

So which Bowtech did you try and can you give a review of what you liked and did not like? I know Bowtech makes some nice bows and the ones I have shot do impress me. The only thing I wonder about is their quality. I bought my brother a Diamond bow by Bowtech and he has had two delaminations in the limbs. It took four months for them to make it right by him.

I have shot the guardian this spring and I believe I shot the guardian again yesterday. If not the guardian it was one that style. Compared to the compounds I shot alot 20 years ago and the 8 year old Mathews MQ32 I shot last year, all these new ones are night and day different. All very similar to each other. Take your pick.

I'm not in to the new bow every year program. I just decided to get back into the archery game and decided to buy all new and properly set up by Al at Scheels. I hunt and do 3d competitions in the off season

I asked the pro at Scheels in Fargo, ND if there were any problems with any of the new ones. He said no, maybe 1 in 1000 has a factory problem with a limb. Usually, it comes from a friends dry fire or improper bow vice operation.

Today I purchased the Liberty model. I like the fact that you can change the modules for draw length and smooth or speed. I like the short axle to axle for the in and out of vehicle and stalking through the thick stuff and I have also begun to hunt out of a Scheels blind (very similar to double bull, but half the price) I like the solid limbs better than the split ones. My perception was that most of the bowtechs were faster and quieter than most of the Mathews when I was on the line at 3d shoots. I know the decimal machines say the Mathews makes less noise.

If I didn't do the 3d competitions, I would have bought a used Mathews off ebay or where ever for 1/3 to 1/2 the money from one of the I gotta have a new bow every 6 months guys. There is so little difference between the switchbacks and drenalin and now the dxt that I can't see changing if I already had one of them.

Default goosepilot

Thanks Goosepilot.
    I am with you about not buying a new bow every year of so. My last new bow was the MQ1 about 7 or 8 years ago. That said, I am impressed that they can continue to improve a stick and string every couple of years. I am still in the market and will go out and shoot some more bows soon. My brother is real impressed with the Hoyt line up. I will have to spend some more time shooting those.

I picked up my new Tribute yesterday. The Scheels guys just got the new Airborne models in and were very impressed with both. Very fast and very quiet. They said they sell a few more mathews than bowtechs and fewer Hoyts.
    As long as you can shoot it consistantly accurate and it is quiet are my priorities.
    My bow sure is fast and quiet. Now I need to practice and get it dialed in. It has been at least six months since I shot my old mq32 at about 58lbs. This new tribute is at 70lbs and feels about the same. Old bow I saw a 1" drop about every 5yards distance from 10yards to 30yards. New bow is about 1" drop from 10yards to 25yards(1" in 15yards vs 5yards)

Default Congradulations!

Hope you enjoy your new bow. I still am in the market and trying out different bows. I hope to get a chance to shoot the S2 by Mathews over the Christmas break.

Merry Christmas all! God bless

Thanks for the review.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Drenalin

I am trading in my MQ1, which I have had for 7 years for a new 30' 70lb Drenalin. I shot the Drenalin over Thanksgiving and loved it. It is quite a bit faster than the MQ1. Now I need to find the right left handed site, any suggestions? I've been using a Toxonics 3 pin site but I was wanting to go with a single pin vertical type of site maybe adjustable.
    Marc Theiler

Default Left handed sights

I use a left handed sight that is vertical, single pin, and adjustable that I bought from Fletchers Archery in Wasilla. I am at work right now and do not remember the brand. But, if you give them a call they will know what you are talking about. I like it. I set it for 30 yards and aim a little low or high depending on the range.