Thread: Hunting with your Karelian Bear Dog

Default Hunting with your Karelian Bear Dog

Anybody here own and or hunt with your Karelian? I have hunted with mine, He isn't in the least bit gunshy and we have hunted grouse together sucessfully. While our techniques are still coming together we are fairly successful on birds.
    Anybody have any tips, techniques or stories?

Default Dog

I am interested in these dogs. Where is the nearest breader? Where did you get yours? Are they very expensive?

Call me 355-2722

Thanks Jim
    Last edited by jim k; 12-09-2007 at 13:39. Reason: Add phone #

Default new dogs

The breed is getting more popular and the prices seem to reflect that. Pups tend to go for $750 on up.....
    There is a new batch here in Talkeetna. I believe they are asking $700.00 each. Last I knew they had 5 males and two females. Yahoo has a discussion groupon the breed as well if you want to study up and get to know the "alaska owners".
    I'll try and give you a call in a few day's Jim and answer any questions about the breed that I can. I'll also try and post some resources here for anyone else who is interested or curious.

Default KBD

I have one and she is great to hunt with, here are a few tips though, NEVER shoot a squirel that has been "treed" by one. It is very hard to get one to understand that it is not what you are hunting for, after you praised her the first time. Made this mistake over 3 years ago, and still regret it.
    The best thing to do, I have found is to keep her on a long lead, if you are rabbit or grouse hunting, or she will beat you to them and get all the kills! This breed are very very quick. Their noses are amazing, I used to have beagles and they dont hold a candle to what my KBD can sniff out. I think as they get more and more popular, this trait will become more obvious to people. Anyway I like to ramble on about her, but I will stop now. let me know if I can help you with anymore questions.

Default KBD's

My #1 advice to you or anyone else interested in owning Karelians is to do your homework first... very, very extensively. You could start by checking out the work that renowned bear biologist Carrie Hunt has done with her KBD team at Wind River Bear Institute, now based out of Florence, MT.

Think carefully about what kind of home you can provide for this animal, and what your intentions are... KBD's are not the greatest companion dogs and do not fall into the social norm of how we think of dogs. They are a working breed... and they require lots of dedicated training from an early age. With that said, it also helps to fully understand the history of the breed to meet their domestic and training needs.

These dogs are special. Most importantly, they need lots of room to run and lots of patience with their training. They are exceptionally smart, independent, and extremely tenacious when it comes to chasing critters.
    When you see them in their natural element, you'll understand.

A few years ago, I had the displeasure to find out my dog had just killed a calf moose; not by chasing it down violently, but actually premeditating its murder by isolating it from the cow, and circling the kettle pond until the poor thing drowned. After that, my dog proceeded to swim in after it and drug it back to shore, where he laid down on the carcass like a true predator claiming his prize. Definately not one of our proudest moments together but one that illustrates the awesome will of these dogs.

My KBD is now 7yrs old. We've had many fond adventures together and many frustrations as well. He is the best backcountry companion I've ever had and has been highly entertaining both in and out of the woods... I'll never own another dog quite like him again.

Although I've seen him on numerous bears over the years, I've never actually hunted one... its almost too easy. However, I do hope to take one this spring as it is the best way I can think of to honor my lil' buddy.

Default For all to see......

Jocko gave some good advice, however, I feel the need to elaborate and expound on a few things. First, I am a future Karelian owner who has done exactly what jocko recommended and then some, and I have also rescued a Karelian and placed it. My tiny contribution to the dog kingdom.
    That story for another day.

There is a saying in the dog world, that there are no bad dogs just bad owners. I would have to change the word bad for ignorant and for some use the word stupid. We have all met the stupids. For any breed to thrive they need exercise (daily) and affection (daily) and DISCIPLINE (not beatings). The Karelians instinctive drive and energy and intelligence, requires greater knowledge and training ability by its handler. Any breeder that tells you otherwise, is nothing but a puppy salesman. If you buy one from a breeder, talk to five breeders first and dont quibble over pennies
    with yourself. Some breeders sell cheap, because they are selling imbred crap. Educate yourself! A lady who I will be buying from, once told me,
    4 out of 10 really get the good bear gene, the rest just get a desire to hunt rabbits and squirrels; chew on that.

A karelian needs a owner who knows and understands dogs and more importantly, Karelians. Not your weekend stupid hunter.
    Please do yourself and the dog world justice by learning what obedience training is and practice, till you get it right................

Good Luck And God Bless!
    (If you need a name or two to stay away from, you can e-mail me. I do my homework.