Thread: come lil coyote come.....

Default come lil coyote come.....

Called up one, not quite close enough for the longbow.

Last set up, had a howling contest, was cool. Got another one to come in, unfortunatly down wind, cut out tracks and left.

2 dogs, no shots.

Oh btw, nice forum, keep forgetting it's here.

Great job Tradbow on calling...were you just using a location call and what other calls did you use if any ? I had that problem a few years ago when I had a wolf that wouldnt break the woodline about 450 yards away. I since then built a AR that can now reach them that far but havent had any success yet. I think they know....Again great job

have you tried a decoy? I am very curious about thier effectivness.

I spent many hours calling 'yotes last winter in Utah without success. I tried in good areas where I could hear them, and I saw fresh sign too... Very frustrating.

If anyone would like to show me the ropes some time PM me. I live in Eagle River and I'm 29 if that matters. Oh and I'm not... well, you know.

I'm a non-res until next June, so I only have a small game license, but I'd love to learn how to call 'yotes like a pro.

I'll buy ya your favorite 6 pack, or coffee, lunch, or soda, or bottled spring water.

Decoys are effective for coyotes and certainly worth using but are not as essential as they are for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    If anyone would like to show me the ropes some time PM me. I live in Eagle River and I'm 29 if that matters. Oh and I'm not... well, you know.
    Zeb - I'm also 29 and live in Eagle River. Like long walks on the beach, soft music, and....um, I mean....let's get together and kill some stuff!

Anyhow, I'm a lifelong Alaskan, but new to calling. I can't teach you how to call like a pro, but I'd be happy to take you along and see if we can figure it out. In the area that I want to try, it seems like it would be really helpful to have two people, as then the shooter could set up on top of a cliff and scan the area while the other person calls from below. I probably won't be able to head out until January sometime, but if you're interested in trying let me know.

LUjon,

No I havent though I'd like too. We do or have in the past carried a grouse wing which works to grab there attn.

Like scent why cover it up when it should be gone all together. It would be nice to find something that they'd just come over and check out, instead of spooking or running it over at mach 5. For bow ranges I opt for nothing. For rifle ranges that may become a different story.............IF I can find a quality 22-250.

As for partners, a partner can be used in all situations. Simply put, put them down wind! A long and short range duo is deadly!

Call like a pro? Only time in the woods can teach you that. But realize even pro's dont call in much on most instances. Knowing where dens are and where packs hang out really helps and pay attn to wind. If the wind is wrong don't waste your time, they already know you're there. Sit STILL and don't move too soon. WOrk out some kind of silent, or vocal lets go signal to keep from spooking game. Or a there he is call (kiss of death works well for this, ie change from squaling to kiss of death).

Go out and call, nite and day, read all you can, watch all you can and do it, you'll figure out what works where you are. Dont be afraid to be different, in this instace different is a really good thing!

Default years of work

I have called for years, and have 2 coyotes and a lynx as a result. But calling beats sitting at home. I have no idea if I am doing it right or not, but sure have given it the old college try.
    I built a caller with an auto cassette deck, some wire, and a pa speaker. I carry it in a small cooler with heat packs or a warm water bottle. Over the years I see something now and again, but never really had lots of luck. Maybe now I need to go try again. Gee TB, wonder who I could find that wanted to go try calling and also get to try out my 22-250? Any ideas?

you've got my number, email, and.......... ok ok I'll stop there .

Was supposed to go out today (sat, yup I'm still up at 230 am) calling varmints. Instead I need to get this canoe DONE! I'm close very very close. Should be finished before xmas "break". We'll be calling for sure after that. NO wait, got two flintlock 10 gauge fowlers that need to be built before spring turkey season. Makes for some short outings to the predator stands.

We also dont call much, but we have called critters. Of course hunting with a stick we see way more then we kill. So far I've only proven deadly on fox. Have had them close enough I COULDNT shoot. Makes it fun!

As for electronics, you can carry all that gizmogadget stuff. I'll stick to hand blown calls or the voice. They work quite well.

here puppy, come here boy.....

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post

here puppy, come here boy.....
    Um, I think he was talking to YOU !

Hope you two have a good time, hehehe (come on..... someone was going to post it!)