Thread: Wrecked my plane

Default Wrecked my plane

Wrecked my champ last week, I was not scratched but sad to say insurance is totalling the plane. Plane was my best friend and it really sucked. Looking for another taildragger between 25 and 40K as my Xmas present to me. I'm looking for something I can put at least 26" inchers for off airport flying. Any good idea's or tip's on locating a new one would be appreciated.

Terry

Default bent champ

Terry,

You could buy the Champ back from the insurance company and have it repaired. No flying this winter, but you could have a nice refurbished plane for next summer.

Gary.

Smile Steve Austin!!!!!

I agree with Gary. You could make all of the mods that you want to a plane you know and love. An O-320, leading edge cuff, stall fences, change fuels cell size, hard wire in any GPS or radios, smaller ATV battery. This is an opportunity to come back just like the 6 Million Dollar Man … Lighter, Faster, Better

Drew

Default Cost

To put it back the way it was, it was lat least 24K. Orginally I wanted to rebuild it, but after I add the purchase price plus a couple small upgrades I'm in the mid 30's without flaps. If I had enough experience to fix the wings with a A & P looking over, I know were there is a wrecked 150 horse 7GCBC with a bent frame. The combining of these 2 planes would make sweet ride. Thinking about a PA-12 or a 7GCBC I have found for 40K(which has crappy paint and would still need tires).

Terry

Default Learning

Terry,

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. Most imprortantly, no one was hurt. Good thing you were insured.

I was wondering if you would share the details of your incident --what, when, where. Were you practicing off airport stuff; was there a crosswind? Maybe we can learn a little something from your misfortune.

Chet

Default More practice and training

Accidents happen and only thing I can say is was more training and practice probably would of helped. Do many people like the pacer for an off airport aircraft? I know the bushmaster mod's make them awesome, but dont have that kind of money.

Terry

Sorry to hear I been there with out insurance!

This must be you.

** Report created 12/7/2007 Record 3 **
    ************************************************** ******************************

IDENTIFICATION
    Regis#: 8965R Make/Model: CH7A Description: 7ACA/ECA Champ, Citabria
    Date: 11/29/2007 Time: 0230

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
    Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
    AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, WASILLA, AK

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
    # Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
    # Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: METAR PAWS 290256Z AUTO 09003KT CLR M04/M08 A3037

OTHER DATA
    Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: ANCHORAGE, AK (AL03) Entry date: 11/29/2007
    Tim

Default Yep

That was mine accident. We will see how long it takes me to get airborne again.

Terry
    I would like to hear your story. I am hopeful that I might be able to learn something from it. I don’t have the time to make all of the mistakes myself. This is not intended as an “Oh you should have done ….” There is a lot to learn from others mishaps. I personally have scared myself pretty good with attempting WX I had no business in with a VFR plane.

Drew

Default pacer

Terry,

I bet for about what your champ was insured for, plus a few more dollars you could pickup a nice Pacer. Pacers have reasonably good short field performance if kept light, plus they are quite a bit faster than a cub. My freind has a Pacer w/ a stol kit on floats and skis. We park next to each other at lake hood so I have a good sense of his plane's performance. My PA12 does not out perform his pacer by much. Both a/c have flaps and 150hp.

That 7GCBC w/ bad paint probably means new fabric along w/ a new paint job. You should be able to find a REALLY nice Pacer for 40K.

I'm thinking a Stol Kit & a PA18 tail really improves a Pacer's short field performance so certainly look for those mods when shopping.

Gary

Default Pacer

Don't know this guy or the plane but it looks nice.
    http://www.aeroalaska.com/viewad.asp...01230002100325
    Steve

Default Plane for sale

There is a PA12 for sale in Soldotna that is close to your price range, the only problem is it has been "rode hard and put away wet". It will probably need new fabric and some metal work within a couple years. If you are interested let me know and I will get you the contact info.

Scott

Or if you are looking to get into a good Champ again look at this...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=21854

kioti has a good looking champ for sale with a 115hp enging, big tires and VGs for sale at a very reasonable price. He even has a starter in it!

Scott

Default I talked to Paul

If this is the blue one, I have I talked to Paul, only reservation I'm having is it has almost 1500 hours the bottom end, and after a year or two I will want to trade up to a super cub (should be able to afford one then), and need a time builder that I can turn around. It has alot of goodies but half the value of these little plane are engine time, and it has been on the market over a year. I have not ruled it out, but still waiting on insurance check anyway.

Terry

That Pacer for sale looks very nice. I dont know how hard the conversion is.

I fly around a Taylorcraft. It is a very fun plane to fly. Mine only has a 65 horse, and when light it does well. I got my tw endorsement in Heidi Ruess' 100hp tcart, and that was a great little plane. I see many for sale around 20k, a little more for nicer ones. They burn half the gas a cub does, and cruises at the same speed.