Thread: Wormy Rainbows

Default Wormy Rainbows

Just a quick poll if you will to see if anyone has ever caught wormy landlocked rainbows? I have been out ice fishing here in the Anchorage bowl on a new lake I have never fished untill this year and for the past two weekends have brought home fish that were loaded with worms. When I say worms, I mean worms that are not only in their intestines but embedded in their flesh and look like white specks until you dig them out and they strecth out to about 2 to 6 inches.....Kind of like a piece a fat piece of silk or hair. I have been in touch with ADF&G biologist to let them know of what I found. Basically I have been told that if I cook them to the right temp they are okay to eat..... That just is not too apealing if you know what I mean. Does anyone else reccomend eating them?

Default Pic's of these fish

these are nice ones....
    Attached Images Attached Images

probably a biproduct of the pellet feeding... lol

I wouldn't eat em, farmed fish are gross...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Wormy fish

Yes, I have caught the same on many lakes on Ft. Rich and EAFB. I quit eating them. I have also caught char that looked the same. The easiest way to tell is to look at ribs after gutting, and there will be hard white looking specks stuck to the diaphram wall. I just quit keeping them all together.

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    Does anyone else reccomend eating them?
    No. F&G will also tell you that you can eat the fresh water clams that live in the loon dung at the bottom of the local lakes. I for one believed them. Once and only once. Nasty stuff in those stocked lakes. The only Rainbows worth eating are wild species, living in flowing waters. They are excellent tablefare.

Thumbs down Gross!

GROSS

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default They have them

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    No. F&G will also tell you that you can eat the fresh water clams that live in the loon dung at the bottom of the local lakes. I for one believed them. Once and only once. Nasty stuff in those stocked lakes. The only Rainbows worth eating are wild species, living in flowing waters. They are excellent tablefare.
    My son and I have been catching some dandy rainbows in the 20-22" range in a local lake. It is part of a lake and stream system, and the fish seem to be fat, healthy and in spawning mode. Problem is, when they are opened, the gut cavity is full of worm nodules and encystments. These look like small, white capsules attached to the guts and gut lining, and most come out easily when the guts are pulled out. Some, however are embedded in the flank meat of the fish itself. I find them disgusting, but also realize that they will disappear when the fish is cooked well. Probably most fish have them to one degree or another, and there is no help for it other than to pull out what you can, and don't think about it when you fork it in your mouth. I was going to smoke some rainbows this year, but have given up that plan due to the parasites.

Default I have seen

Back in New York where ponds have waters with little movement, the worms can be quite bad. Even on the St. Lawrence River I have seen them in perch.

They probably got up here by someone using live bait. Too bad because they can get to the point in a fish where they squirm out when filleting them. If there are only one or two you can pick them out.

If you really love fish use a dim light over the filleting table and cook them well. Just a little more protein.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Naturally you should do as you think best. But I for one, have tossed more than one fish fillet off the grill and into the garbage when I saw a nasty half cooked worm curl out of the meat as they shrink.....or grow or what ever it is that happens to the nasty little buggers when they start to cook...............Blaaaaaauck!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I know it looks really bad, but most of the fish you eat has worms in it. I know for a fact that all of the bottom fish and salmon cought out of the ocean has them. cook'em out. of course if these are really big worms, different story, but the ones that you described I have seen many a times. but I do haft to agree, actually looking at them gives ya the creeps

-Ben

IMO, any trout is a poor dining substitute compared to red salmon, which of course is why I dip. Most halibut, ling, yellow eye, cod and some salmon have worms. With trout if you MUST fish for them I guess catch and release is ok.
    pete

Default Reds too

Quote Originally Posted by pak View Post
    IMO, any trout is a poor dining substitute compared to red salmon, which of course is why I dip. Most halibut, ling, yellow eye, cod and some salmon have worms. With trout if you MUST fish for them I guess catch and release is ok.
    pete
    I have dipped several reds out of the Kenai which had, not just encystments, but balls of worms in the gut cavity. I'm pretty sure all salmon have some, and I personally would never eat salmon (or any fish for that matter) raw.

Anyway, for gut worms, the key is getting past the mental aversion and cooking well.

Some bottom fish, such as "snappers" have them in the flesh of the backbone area in great numbers and when filleted and found to be such should probably be pitched IMHO. I have not seen a rainbow with such meat worms, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did.

has anyone ever tryed putting them in ice water over night hole and all the worms move to the guts. i never tryed it but thats what I herd. may be worth a try

Do a search for worms, trout, salmon and prepare to be disgusted. Cook it and it's not so bad, but with trout, they can be so infested it just isn't worth the trouble which is one reason I like to catch and release. Salmon are another story. I don't find them as objectionable - not nearly as full of worms. And tastier. But the trout - yuck - too many parasites and many taste like muddy bottoms.