Thread: New skidoo tundra's

Default New skidoo tundra's

I have an old skidoo tundra I am thinking about replaceing with a new one, they have changed alot! anyone have one how do you like it compared to the old stlye? the new one sits up higher and seams heaveir than the 89 that I currenty run, the hood is side doors what do you think of that?

The new one with the small engine and a longer track is actually lighter than the old ones. I have a 96 Tundra II. But the ones with the V-800 engine are heavier. Much more powerful too. The Tundra is now on the REV platform that is made of aluminum, unlike the steel platform of the old ones. Being taller it is easier for the average person to sit on than the older ones were. Those old ones were designed for little people, I'm 6'2" and hate the low seat position, I ride standing on one knee all the time, due to my knees getting in the way of the handlebars when I sit down.

Default 08 tundra

I never had one of the older tundra's but I got one of the 08 tundra longtrack with the 550F. Good machine and easy to get unstuck, a buddy of mine also got one and really likes it as well. They are a bit tippy so you do have to throw your weight around sometimes but they are comfortable and maneuvre really well, I think mine weighs at 500 pds so I can throw it around by myself. They also have a more agressive track on them and come with reverse plus hand and thumb warmers. Makes for a good trapping machine.................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0289.JPG   IMG_0290.JPG  

Default Scandic

I bought the Scandic 440LT. While it still looks like the old Tundra I feel it is better. The 440 engine has plenty of power for trapping yet good mileage. Two-seating, big cargo rack, hitch and plenty of storage. I have a bad back and the weight of the machine is even fine for me. It is also the machine that the Alaska Nation Guard chose. So AK Mining and Diving has the skematics on their website. It is not a trail machine with the suspension but for occasional use on trail it is fine.

I have been able to bury it in willows and 5 feet of loose powder (Where I should not be anyways). But a little path laid down with your snowshoes and it usually walks right out. I also have the wide skins on the front and with the 156" track it floats pretty well.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-09-2007 at 12:32. Reason: fingers did not match keyboard

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default RF

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    The Tundra is now on the REV platform

The new Tundra is actually on the RF platform, not the REV.

Dave I have a 96 Tundra II, and have not gotten it stuck the whold time I have been riding it. It will tip at the drop of a hat. But it climbs through all kinds of snow and just keeps on chugging. I can haul a whole moose out with it and not have any problem. It's just that it has very little suspension, seat is too low, and it does not have reverse, or electric start.

I am expecting delivery of a new Ski Doo Super Wide Track tomorrow. It has the 24" wide track, the V-800, 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, engine. With High/low range, and a seat that is high up in a very comfortable position for tall guys like me. It does have a two-up seat so the wife can go with me sometimes. My partner in Eagle River has a SWT with the two stroke engine, and I have to say that 24" track floats real nice. He is the first person that has been able to stay with me when I go exploring during spring trips. He can break trail just as good as I can with my Tundra, going up valleys with 10 to 15 feet of snow in them. But the thing I am looking forward to the most will be the quite engine, and better fuel economy.

I'll let you know how it does after I take it out a few times. The only thing I am concerned about is that there is no back-up means of starting it, only the electric starter. I picked up a little two stroke electric generator last week, it will become a perminate piece of equipment on my sled, just to be on the safe side when on trips.

Default 04

Mine is an 04. So it has electric start, reverse, hand warmers, thumb. Like you said you have to "become" the machine at times.

When I sank her, she was in 5 foot of snow and loose willows. So everything collasped and she sank. Usually she pulls right out. I haul wood in the winter with a 5' Otter sled and have no problems. She is actually a beast.

Will be cleaning traps tomorrow and making some martin boxes. There was a yote in the back yard last night too. I will make some plans for him.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default cross fox sled

thunder chicken how do you like the new cross fox sled?

Default Graybeard

Greaybeard..... If you have never got your tundra stuck, Do you ever go riding where there is snow? EVERYTHING will get stuck at times.

Default siglin

It's actually a siglin 10' x 48" and I like it alot, I can haul alot of gear on that thing!!

I've got a new style Tundra and like it in general. The biggest complaint I have is that I cannot get my feet far enough forward to be comfortable. It is not an issue for me except when I make long trips but someone taller may have more problems. They added more foot room in the new REVs but I don't know if they changed the RF chasis.

The Tundra II may get permanately parked, or become the ride for the wife or kid. I got a new Ski-Doo, SWT, V-800, yesterday. Unlike the Tundra, I'll probably get this one stuck sometime, but the ride is worth it.

A few times I thought the Tundra was getting stuck, but I cranked on the throttle and it climbed out unassisted. Now my son did get it stuck a few times, back when he was 8 and 9 years old and a cautious rider. Mainly because he did not weigh enough to put any pressure on the track and it would spin out the snow beneath it. Once he got a little bigger and started driving a little more aggressive he never got stuck again.

It sounds like they are just as dependable as the old ones, I guess I would just need to get use to the looks- thanks for the info everyone-steve

AKFisher1: I've been riding that Tundra II since 1997. I have never gotten it stuck in snow. I have been stuck sitting on rocks where the track could not get traction to pull a sled loaded with Moose across the rocks. But that was not in snow, and I don't think anything else would have pulled that load across those rocks. We had to unhook the sled, drive out then use a come-a-long to move the sled. I usually ride by myself, going where there is no trails, towing a sled. I will start going up one valley then come back down another, crossing at the top. Sometimes riding the ridges for miles and coming back down 70 miles from where I started. The only problem I have ever had is throwing tracks. Tundra IIs will throw a track if you get into heavy tussocks, ruts, or sidehill. If they were just a little bigger I would never ride anything else. Came very close to getting a new Tundra, but since my buddies SWT has been the only utility machine that could ever keep up with me and my Tundra, I opted for the quite, four stroke, high milage, and more comfortable machine. I'm 6'2" and weigh 230 lbs.

I had put a 4" box under my seat a long time ago which might be the reason I neaver complianed about leg room,I am 6 ft tall, it might be I don't miss what I neaver had too. The box I feel did make it a littel tipper but thats not nessacarly a bad thing when your making your own trails in my opion it is nice to be able to rock the sled to one side so you dont hit some things so hard.

Thumbs up 2008 Ski-Doo Tundra 550F

Very impressssssssed w/ this sled so far!!!

If you'd enjoy trying one or two out b 4 ya buy please let me know.

Rentals and guided tours...
    Alaska Snow Safaris http://www.snowmobile-alaska.com or 907-868-7669