Thread: Catching herring

Default Catching herring

Hi gang, how does one go about catching herring? Is it like baitfishing anywhere else; drop a bait rig w/4-6 tiny hooks with some kind of glow worm or something on it? Where can you catch herring? Possible in harbor waters like Seward and I suppose it's helpful to have a fishfinder to locate schools?
    Any recommended bait or lures for them?

I used the search feature and found several posts on catching herring.

Default Thanks.........

Skydiver, I did discover some good information.

Bandon, OR

I've always used a light sabiki rig... no worms, no bait, just the white paper flag on the shank of each hook. Works great for eulachon too.

I know in the spring when the schools get thick, a lot of folks around here use a weighted cast net... haven't got the hang of throwing one yet...

Honestly, it's easiest to just go buy a few cases of frozen in April - my local butcher puts the orders in, and is always happy to tag on a few extra cases for me to buy at cost.

Of course, this is all good information until SEACC and the Sierra Club manage to get herring on the endangered species list... they're trying like heck here to get Lynn Canal herring classed as a different species so they can "protect" them by stopping all development on private land, creating speed and no-boat zones in one of the busiest stretches of the Inside Passage...

M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR

Juneau, Alaska

Thumbs up Sabikis or Yarn/Treble Hooks

Herring are easy to catch, finding them is another story. Most people I know use either sabikis (like Case suggests) or the more durable multiple hook, hand-made treble hook jig with a few half-inch strands of red or orange yarn tied on every other hook. The sabiki hooks don't hold up to hard use (like flipping the herring off into the boat), but Eagle Claw trebles have been the hook of choice around here for the past 40-plus seasons.