Thread: Mike S.

Default Mike S.

and the never ending publishing of a book. You said Aug, its now Dec. Whats the deal?

Default Book

I want to get one for my brother in law. Will it be out by Christmas, any year.

Default Date

I sent an inquiry to Chris Batin (because I preordered a copy) and was told that the preorders would be shipped within 2 weeks. that was about Dec 4, 2007. I'll let everyone know when mine is delivered.

Default Book Update

Hi folks,

Thanks for asking.

My book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", is being published by Alaska Hunter Publications. I completed the final manuscript about three years ago and delivered it to the publisher. The publisher then edited the material and gave me an opportunity for a final review. Some minor changes were made, but it has been in his hands during this time. Because I am on a contract with a publisher, I have no say in the publication date, official release date, price, distribution, advertising, etc. I'm just the author.

I have heard the same things you have heard, and am getting my information from the same place. I have also been told that it has been printed and is being shipped from the printers. The pre-ordered copies were shipped air freight to the United States and were clearing customs in Los Angeles as of last Monday, 12/3. Once they clear they will be shipped to Seattle, and will be sent to customers directly from there. I have not seen it yet, and will not see it until it ships to customers.

Those who have seen it said it's a beautiful book. To my knowledge it is the largest, most comprehensive book ever written on Alaska hunting. I believe it is also the first full color book on Alaska hunting. It would be safe to say it took longer to write than any other Alaska hunting book too; I signed the contract on this on May 15, 1997 (10 years and seven months ago).

I will post an update here and ON MY WEBSITE as soon as the book is in my hands and actually shipping. I think the intent is to get it out by Christmas... TICK...tock...TICK...tock...TICK...tock!

Thanks again to everyone who has waited so long for this. I can relate; I've been waiting too!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Talking "First full-color hunting book"

That distinction goes to "Hunting Hard...In Alaska! Book 2 'The Soul of the Hunt'".

It published in 2006.

Sorry to have to pop that buble, Mike!

Taylor

I know nothing about book publishing and printing, but am curious why is it being done outside the U.S.?

Default Offshore Printing

Mod elan,
    It's much less expensive, even after shipping and customs clearance, to have printing done overseas. Of course quality varies from printer to printer, but from my limited experience at having printed a book in the U.S. and one overseas, I am much happier with the overseas product and price.

Taylor

Default No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    That distinction goes to "Hunting Hard...In Alaska! Book 2 'The Soul of the Hunt'".

It published in 2006.

Sorry to have to pop that buble, Mike!

Taylor
    No harm, no foul; no bubble to burst, Marc! I qualified my statement by saying "I believe...". I had forgotten that you had a section of color photographs, but what I meant anyway was "full color" in the sense that nearly every page has color- sidebars, headers and even sections of the text are color. Color photos are scattered throughout the book and each river writeup begins with a full color map. When we set this thing up with the printer, we set it up as CMYK color on every page, rather than one color section. It's really a different thing from yours, as you'll see... hard to describe...

So what's going on in the world of Taylor, anyway? Are you working on another?

-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 12-09-2007 at 01:02.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Overseas printing

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I know nothing about book publishing and printing, but am curious why is it being done outside the U.S.?
    Elan,

The decision to go overseas was not mine to make, as I went through a publishing house. I did want full color, but it was their call and they could have said no. I think once they saw what I had, they decided it really needed to be in color. As Marc suggests, the decision to go overseas was probably based on economics. Printing a book like this locally would have driven the retail price through the roof. This book is less than a third the size of the original manuscript; we cut a lot of stuff just to get it to 544 pages! It was an encyclopedia. I can't imagine the cost if we had published all of the material. Ah well, more for later I guess...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    Mod elan,
    It's much less expensive, even after shipping and customs clearance, to have printing done overseas. Of course quality varies from printer to printer, but from my limited experience at having printed a book in the U.S. and one overseas, I am much happier with the overseas product and price.

Taylor
    It is? Now I have to go dig it out. By the way, good books, I really enjoyed them.