Thread: S&W M22A feeding problem

Default S&W M22A feeding problem

I have a M22A that is misfeeding randomly. It has done it with everything from crummy $12 a brick ammo to CCI stingers. I am going to give it a good scrubbing but I doubt that it will help as it's been doing this since its first time out to the range. (yes I field stripped and cleaned it per the manual before the first trip to the range and numerous times since). It seems as though the ejector is not catching the lip of the round when it is pushed into the chamber. I think somehow the ejector is keeping the firing pin from properly striking the round when it doesn't properly grab the cartridge rim. Essentially the thing misfires and when you rack the slide it does not eject resulting in a double feed. I hope this makes sense! I am a purty technically savvy guy and I think I am on the right track but I am open to suggestions. I also have no idea what to do to resolve the problem.
    Thanx
    I also have tried to drop the clip and rack the slide several times but it never does catch. I have to use a small flat tip screwdriver to pop the cartridge out.

Is the front face of the extractor smooth- not the inside that actually egages the rim, but the outer face around the radius to the point? Not acquainted with the model, but from your description it sure sounds like the extractor is hanging up on the rim rather than slipping around and over it. Could be a spring problem, but that would be harder to diagnose.

Final thought- You're cleaning under the edge of the extractor and there's no powder fowling down within the bolt next to it? Or in the extractor cut in the rear face of the barrel? Those issues would be dealt with in a thorough cleaning as you describe, but it's worth double checking before moving on to mechanical problems.

I am going to break it out and go through it this evening after I get through building baby furniture and a clay pigeon thrower. I will take some pics of of it broken down. We will see how good the camera works on close ups.

Here are the pics.
    Side of slide, you can see the extractor

Any ideas?
    Face of slide showing extractor hook

View looking up at the slide face. You can see the extractor hook on the left.

Wow posted pics an everything. No ideas?? I realy don't want to send this back to S&W. Is there a .22 round that has a better rim for this type of extractor?

I'm on the road with limited online access. I'll look at the pics and get back.

Like I said before, I'm not acquainted with the gun. But the outer angles of the extractor look pretty square and sharp, and that point on the extractor looks long and sharp. Both would make me suspect that it's hanging on the round rather than slipping over it as the round chambers. It's a guess, but a good enough one that I'd do two things:

Go to a shop with another example of the model and compare yours with the other one.

Call S&W. It wouldn't take much work to fix an extractor like that if in fact that's the problem. But I'd try to get S&W to deal with it first. They may be willing to just send you a new extractor if it's work you can do yourself. A good smith could be able to do the work too, but then you would be paying rather than S&W.

Default your 22a

I just got a S&W a few ago. For me it did have problems with the cheap (brick) ammo but I've never had a jam once I switched to CCI tarket loads.

I gave it a quick clean after I decided to try something other than the remington game load brick junk. I have had CCI stingers and mini-mag both jam in it. I gave it a major scrubbing the other day so I will give the CCI one more try. I would like to sneak out with it for a little while tomorrow but kids got hockey so maybe next wkend. Thanks for the help.

I had the problem with my Mod. 41 and I think they may be the same magazine. as the round is shoved forward out of the clip it will go nose up too much and shave a bit of lead, that lead falls back on the case and on firing it traps the case and you have a failure to eject. The cure is to close the sides of the magazine lips till they lightly touch the bullet. I used a table spoon as a hammer to close mine by a series of hard raps. That was the end of the problem . Then I passed it on to many others in the club .. good luck..

As a rule it takes very little of any substance between the case and the chamber wall to stick a round in almost any rimfire. I have had the same problem that oldguy is eluding to in Ruger auto loaders as well.